I miss Taiwan

I suppose you will come foot the bill for deposits lost and moving fees for all my new furniture and agent fees.

If you don’t like to read…maybe don’t be on a forum?

It’s not like I’m sitting here dying not taking action.

Perhaps you’d like to read the purpose of this forum section. If you don’t like to read this particular type of posts, no one made you. Who’s complaining now?

1 Like

About the food:

Start cooking.

1 Like

Yes. This is the plan. I just don’t know what it is about the food that’s making my stomach sick.

Things are far away in JB and not set up like Taiwan where there’s markets near by. And we’ve been bombarded with issues going to some office, calling, emailing and spending time in the hospital for severe dehydration.

Once things settle down…and water working. Yes we plan to cook more.

Well some progress as been made. Management replied about my complaints of having only one operating lift on my side of the building to now 2. 2 others still do anything.

They claim they are doing maintenance…I’ve not seen one person come and it’s been 3 weeks since they have not worked.

TBH, the first weeks are the hardest. I remember looking out our YMCA room over to that dreadful panorama of the buxiban section in Taipei the first night in Taiwan and I just wanted to cry. Gosh, I left my job for this?!

As a matter of fact, we had to hold back one of our fellow students when she arrived, as she wanted to get back on the airport bus and return home.

So baby steps OK? One problem at a time.

May I suggest iHerb for some probiotics?

2 Likes

Oh yes, here’s another ridiculous Malaysian law. You can’t import anything that has been capsulated, presses into pills or tablets. No matter what. Even like say berry extract. Got this nice letter with my supplements.

"I’m also a large size human. I need to eat more then the average person.”

You mean you’re a fat bastard?

This is offensive. We don’t use the f word around here. I prefer larger size.

Me too…I’m the sensitive type.

My first night was in Taoyuan.
My plane had taxid past the burnt out hulk of the Singapore Airlines plane that had crashed into a bulldozer a few days before. Then it was off driving past the tie piwu factories and houses with strange iron bars on the windows.
I passed the night market and wondered why there was a sewer running under it . The delights of stinky tofu were unknown to me then.
The first morning I was awoken by an insane cacophony of sound at 6:30am whuch turned out to be the school sports day. Later I discovered it was to be the school’s sports WEEK.
By the third day I had enough of 7-11 clerks telling me ‘good morning’ at any time of day and took to correcting them vigorously. I could not read anything, nor understand anything. There was almost no internet and no GPS.
Then off to look for a job…
That my friends was challenging.

7 Likes

I could not care any less…

Is this just a general statement?

4 Likes

There are a million places to be, online or offline. Please feel free to go find them.

Guy

4 Likes

It’s an impressively confident statement. I’m sure there are things to care less about, but I suppose almost by definition they don’t cross one’s mind.

1 Like

We landed here 2 weeks before 921.

Couple of weeks later, I got stuck in an elevator without being able to say help, or any useful Mandarin phrase except Nihao. Provided much amusement for the rescuers.

Your «morning» mistake reminds me of a newbie fellow student who liked to wander around the city and then tell us what he found. One day he was so excited about this open air ceremony -with flowers and someone’s picture in the front that he clapped excitedly at the processions.

Yes, it was a funeral.

7 Likes

Too Proud to Care?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPeFs7uDLM

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand how this country is functional.

Apparently my door bell doesn’t work so the people coming to finally fix my water almost left because we didn’t hear anything.

I went to celcom, a telecommunications company to top off credits for my phone. So firstly we’ve been topping off credits because after going to multiple stores asking if we can have monthly service on visas. They said no. Over and over again and at multiple stores. Apparently they didnt comprehend your visa is in your fucking passport here. And you can use your passport ID. This is after 10 minuets of the retard at the counter thinking I want service for “free” because they can’t comprehend the word “monthly”. Don’t ever trust Malaysians if they say they all speak English here if you want to move. They all said they do and got offended saying of course, like I’m looking down at them.

While I was topping off at celcom…for reasons no one can explain. I can not top off the same amount for cellphone minutes and cellular data. Meaning if I put 10RM for data, I can’t put 10 RM for cellphone service. Must be less than 10 or if you go over 10 it must be in intervals of 10 like 20,30,40 etc. No one can explain why. And with typical Malaysian fashion, brushed it off like it is what it is we don’t know and don’t care to know.

TM, another telecommunications company is supposed to set up my WiFi after missing 2 days for whatever reason. Said they would come between 930-12pm. It’s not close to 3. So I guess they are just not going to come ever.

First few months are challenging, but I’m also kind of nostalgic for them. Everything was new and exciting. Now it’s just routine and mundane.

2 Likes

It’s called maximizing revenue.

I’d call down to the desk and ask/bribe somebody there to be your wingman, to ask if anyone coming to the 1st floor is there to see you. Then call you when that happens.

I’d also make a spreadsheet and use it to record every feature of your apartment, room by room. Which work, which don’t, what the estimate is to fix, etc. I’d keep it for reference; I might not show it to the landlord. But I would pull info from it to bolster your displeasure to date.

I’m sure you have some already, but I’d start working on making lots more friends, too.

1 Like

These stories are making appreciate Taiwan more than I was before.

1 Like