I need a new bank account, what do you suggest?

My bank kinda sucks. The people are friendly enough, but the app is terrible and their phone staff never speak English. I just tried to renew a subscription but it won’t go through and someone called with zero English and was unable to speak simple Chinese with me, but I think the end result is that they won’t let me renew this subscription. I asked if she could transfer me to someone that spoke English and she asked if I could ask someone for help. Isn’t that her job, to help me? This bank doesn’t want my money.

So I think I’ll start transferring my salary to a more reasonable bank. I just need basic services, but I prefer to do my banking in English.

What do you recommend?

1 Like

Which bank?

I’d rather not say, but I doubt anyone will recommend them

I use MegaBank, but aside from the awesome name, there’s not much to recommend about them. They’re pretty mediocre, which I guess is actually better than a lot of banks.

3 Likes

Is their app usable in English?

Do they have English capable phone staff?

Don’t use online banking.

(I) Don’t use English.

I think Mega Bank is fine. The English ability might depend on your branch, at least in some cases (e.g., when the branch staff call about an incoming transfer).

The app is fine too. Wouldn’t nominate it for any awards, but it’s fine.

I’d actually suggest opening a Richart account too. It’s still annoying, as documented in the other thread, but the free transfers, interest rate, and NT$300 account opening bonus are useful features.

3 Likes

My Chinese is good enough that I can do things in person, but not good enough on the phone. The problem is sometimes I have to use the phone, like today!

You just need to press x for English as per the automated message. Then tell the non-English speaker who answers that you’d like to speak to someone in English.

5 Likes

I’d vote for E.SUN. Online banking in English (well, about 80%) and an English app. Decent forex rates too. And they give out credit cards to foreigners. When calling them, they will usually call back within an hour with someone speaking English.

7 Likes

Dude

I don’t get how u would keep this privy, how can we recommend anything without having ur current benchmark?

Not a confidential information man, u want some decent advice? then give us info so we can formulate properly.

4 Likes

I might not have read your entire post if that was there before you edited it, but it was a general point about bank customer service lines, including the two banks I mentioned. All the banks I’ve ever needed to call/deal with have had English speakers, but I don’t know what bank you’re using. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

How about Standard Chartered, or HSBC they have good English info. For very local I thought Bank Kaoshuing is good. I would check with your company, some have a fixed bank for salary.

1 Like

It was, guess you didn’t :wink:

If u have the money to open the account, 100% recommend them, HSBC in particular is cheaper if u have the cash.

But min is 500K NT for the basic advance account.

Megabank have a pretty basic app in English.
I like to use Taishin because the debit card at least have 0.5% Cashback and they also give you some monthly interest. Megabank is just nothing.
I also use Taishin credit card with 3% Cashback on weekend.

Yeah, well, again, this has worked with any of the banks I’ve needed to call. I don’t know what bank you’re using that it didn’t. :wink:

I’m using Esun because it’s the only bank that will take Paypal, and I get paid for translation through PayPal.

I heard someone in taiwan gotten a bunch of credit cards with cash back and used it to buy stuff that can be resold at no loss, and then paid it back with the proceeds, basically she was making good money just from the cash back, and the bank closed her cards for this.

Is that just to open, or i need to keep that balance there ?