I need a new bank account, what do you suggest?

to open, then if u keep advance there is no technical below balance fee, u can even keep 0.

However, if the balance is below the 500K, they have a right to close ur account. It’s BS, but it’s the T&Cs.

For Premier is min 3M, and below balance is like 2k/mo.

But u have free withdrawals and transfers, 30x for advance. very good deals tbh

1 Like

Esun. Apps in English too.

2 Likes

I use Cathay and think they are better than other ones.

Mega Bank is ok. Its the bank of the science park, so needs to be reasonably international

1 Like

If you need a new, decent, bank then my suggestion is to leave the country :blush: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I use HSBC premier in the states and invest the 75k needed to meet premier in an ETF (only about $7.95 trading fees), then link other countries to my U.S. premier account to get premier in all countries

But you should get one local bank to get the local features like mobile cash withdrawal, being able to use cards for all local services. I recommend ESun since they have an English app/site and the most friendly bank tellers.

3 Likes

I’ll keep my current account, because my:

I just won’t leave much cash in the account, can transfer to a more usable bank

1 Like

im with e.sun and Cathay, both have passable english app and website.
overall im happy

3 Likes

Cathay is good and convenient but I got into an argument with a local banker about tax withholding statements and I closed my account and both credit cards with them out of spite

1 Like

That’s a win for them. Most banks here would rather not deal with foreigners.

1 Like

Maybe so, but I’ve still got ESun, HSBC and some others to fall back on, and this year I’m trying to simplify my life by closing unnecessary accounts

1 Like

I´ll keep it for you.

Opening my account with Cathay was like grinding teeth. They were coming up with every possible excuse for me to change my mind and walk out the door.

However, I pushed on, and managed to open an account with them, and I’ve been satisfied so far.

I can’t speak about their English phone support, but I’ve been satisfied with their recently launched (limited) English app. It only allows you to view your balance and transaction history, and to transfer money. Those are the only features I need, and I prefer a cleaner UI anyway, so I’m a happy camper.

Here’s what the app looks like:

Cathay’s English mobile app makes you sign out / sign back in with the Chinese version for certain features.

ESun’s English mobile app allows you to switch language without signing out, and most features like credit cards, even investment, are available in English, where the Cathay English mobile app is very basic.

4 Likes

Yes I’ve heard good things about E. Sun. Most of my friends use it. I only use Cathay because all the 7-11’s near me have their ATM.

@TT E. Sun might be a good option for you.

1 Like

My only beef with E Sun is that their ATM machine is rarer than hen’s teeth. You only find them in businesses that use them, which so far is only Carrefour. Cathay ATM machine is everywhere.

I just use whatever ATM is closest when I need cash, don’t use the ATM for other things

1 Like

HSBC premier debit card has free cash withdrawal at any TW ATM. But I wish they would add mobile card-less withdrawal like all local banks.

If you want a card-less experience, you could keep a Cathay bank open, transfer money from HSBC to Cathay when you need to, and do card-less withdrawal using your mobile at the MRT stations

2 Likes

Multiple bank accounts here are not uncommon. Keep them… One day you might need one. And sometimes banks get taken over or upgrade themselves… and voila! Surprises can happen!

2 Likes

Even stuff like changing withdrawal limits, enabling/disabling overseas withdrawal and change of residential address can all be done via app. Very happy with them so far.

1 Like

Standard Chartered has that too and you only need to deposit 15K a month.