I need a new bank account, what do you suggest?

Ouch!

Guy

1 Like

Hiding money in the mattress is still an option, seen some old folks do that.

That was my experience too. I ended up going with Megabank.

1 Like

Why is the owner of the ATM relevant? You can withdraw from any ATM, free of charge.

1 Like

Depends on your account.

Mine, like most, charges 5nt per withdraw unless it’s at the same bank the account is at. Also deposits is charged 15nt (like a transfer) if it’s done at an ATM that isn’t the same bank as my account.

Your account might be different, like HSBC premier account may have no such charges but has a high minimum balance.

2 Likes

most banks in TW have free “n” number of outside-network ATM withdrawals per month. That n is typically 20, or 30 or maybe even infinite. It is sufficient. Are you withdrawing cash everyday?

No, but I don’t get the free n number of outside network withdraws. when I withdraw at E Sun ATM it takes off the amount I withdraw, when I withdraw at an out of network ATM, it takes off the amount + 5nt.

Maybe this is something I need to ask E Sun bank.

Can someone else who uses E Sun bank please confirm this?

1 Like

Not true, only if that bank is ur payroll bank they can give u free withdrawals and transfers.

3 Likes

Yes, getting money at a non-ESun-ATM costs 5$ every time - sending money online costs 15$ and sending money in the branch costs 30$ per transaction.

No free transfers with Cathay either - unless one fulfills some specific task in their app every month (currently paying a bill using the app).

Of the banks I use, only Richart offers free transfers / free ATM usage.

2 Likes

True and also only if your company has an agreement with the bank to do so. I found out that my large employer (former) made us use first bank for deposits but had no employee deal set up so I still had to pay that $5 fee. So I just took the cash on payday, and shoved it into my HSBC advance account with no withdrawal or transfer fees, as I recall 30 free per month which is more than I would use

HSBC Taiwan is also great for no fees to withdraw from their ATM’s internationally. But sadly their footprint is getting smaller

1 Like

Like @Taiwan_Luthiers said, it depends on your account. My Mega Bank account doesn’t come with free outside network withdrawals. Each time I use an out of network ATM, the fee is NT15.

Just get a credit card to pay for subscriptions… Never use a debit card.

You can apply for credit cards without opening an account

1 Like

I thought it depended on the account too. Among my accounts, I think it’s only Richart that gives me free out-of-network ATM usage (5 times per month, IIRC).

That said, none of these are salary accounts with special terms, and I generally don’t keep a significant amount of money in any of my Taiwanese accounts so I might not exceed any minimum needed for free transfers. I also never bothered asking which other ATMs (if any) I’m allowed to use for each bank, i.e., if there’s any shared networks here (maybe not?).

This means I tend to just stick with the issuing bank for each card, so ATM availability is probably a point to consider, at least for me. I don’t find Mega Bank or Standard Chartered to be that convenient for where I am and they don’t have many branches, so until recently I used CTBC most of the time because I could just go into any 7-11.

4 Likes

Cathay bank seems to be the most convenient, because they’re in every mrt station, hi life, etc.

711 has chinatrust and family mart has taishing.

1 Like

FamilyMart also have Cathay in many stores

1 Like

I didn’t want to say family mart because I’ve seen some with Cathay, some with taishing. So I wasn’t 100% sure which is which. But feels like 9 out of 10 ATM I see is Cathay.

1 Like

Yeah, Cathay is fine too, and that’s what I usually use for withdrawing from foreign cards.

I just don’t have a local account with them, and I don’t know how common they are in Kaohsiung or if they’re also used on the Kaohsiung MRT.

Not sure about E.Sun. I feel like I don’t see a huge number of branches around Taipei, but then I’m not really looking for them.

Carrefour uses e sun, including the neighborhood stores, problem is they aren’t everywhere like family mart or 711 is.

Did you look at DBS (from Singapore)
this branch was ANZ Bank (the New Zealand bank) , aslo Bilingual Branch and has good english, helped a Euro friend open there

DBS Siwei Branch(Bilingual Branch)

1F, NO 6, SIWEI 3RD ROAD, LINGYA DIST, KAOHSIUNG CITY 802, TAIWAN (R.O.C.)

HSBC and CityBank is across the road, though I thought CityBank in Taiwan will become DBS?

Business Hours:
Mon - Fri: 9.00 AM - 3.30 PM

1 Like