I read your post and I deemed it garbage

I think what you wrote above is a big part of the problem with posting stuff in threads and squabbling on the net.

People wouldn’t say half the things they post to others on Forumosa to someone they meet here face to face, let alone the manner in which they say it.

I think what you wrote above is a big part of the problem with posting stuff in threads and squabbling on the net.

People wouldn’t say half the things they post to others on Forumosa to someone they meet here face to face, let alone the manner in which they say it.[/quote]

True. But we can’t force people to go to happy hours or hang out together.

That’s too bad too.

Because those of you who missed the HH last night missed the two hottie salesrep girls in tight tight tight didIsay tight white dresses walk into the PH. :smiley:

Doh!!! :homer:

So it was a question of style? You could see what I was saying, you just didn’t like the way it was worded?
This website is cluttered, absolutely cluttered with rubbish posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with anything remotely near what the OP said. I could name posters who haven’t contributed anything beyond one-line crap from the off. So I take umbrage at Joesax singling out one of my posts, and dumping it into the bin, because of what? Over-zealous nonsense. And whilst the ‘sponsers’ may put coin into this site, for a hearty chunk of advertising, it is people like me who sit down and bother to write something to fill the pages that make this thing exist in the first place.

Interesting discussion.

First, let me say that our moderators do a fantastic job of keeping Forumosa accessible, and joesax is an exemplary moderator. I understand TomHill’s complaint, but I don’t think there are any viable alternatives. I’d never be interested in Forumosa being an “anything goes” type forum, because standards would slip very fast. As it is, we have 4614 posts in 181 threads that smolder with negativity in the moderator-viewable Flame Forum. Moderators know better than anyone how quickly things can get ugly on the internet, and they do an awesome job for very little thanks. They also need to do some cleaning up of threads from time to time, and while the amount of housekeeping varies between moderators and from forum to forum, this is still an important task. Yeah, it’s no fun to find out that a post of yours has been deemed off-topic, but it happens. Hell, even I’ve had posts split off and sent to the temp bin. It’s not a big deal, really. Without this light housekeeping, the forums would be a mess. Don’t know what I’m talking about? Go to the ICRT forums and try and find any kind of useful information there. They’re a disaster. Go to Tealit and see how useful their forums are. Comparison is good. :sunglasses:

As for joesax’s moderating, well, I’m sure he’s not infallible, but he’s a damn good moderator - one of the best - and I’ll support him and his moderating decisions because he has earned my trust and respect through years of good judgement on these boards.

But hey - feel free to disagree. I’m not adverse to hearing dissent, different opinions, or even whingeing and I’ve been persuaded to change my stance on things before. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Maoman”]…
But hey - feel free to disagree. I’m not adverse to hearing dissent, different opinions, or even whingeing and I’ve been persuaded to change my stance on things before. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Shouldn’t that be “averse”?

Oops, this post is off topic. My humblest apologies. Carry on.

[quote=“Infidel”][quote=“Maoman”]…
But hey - feel free to disagree. I’m not adverse to hearing dissent, different opinions, or even whingeing and I’ve been persuaded to change my stance on things before. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Shouldn’t that be “averse”?

Oops, this post is off topic. My humblest apologies. Carry on.[/quote]

Biting the hand eh?

CRUCIFY!!!

:wink:

Shouldn’t that be “averse”?[/quote]
No. :stuck_out_tongue:

m-w.com/dictionary/averse

I think you did mean averse:
“having an active feeling of repugnance or distaste – usually used with to <averse to strenuous exercise”

They are related words, though; and your meaning is clear all the same.

[quote=“Stimpy”]Averse Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
“having an active feeling of repugnance or distaste – usually used with to <averse to strenuous exercise”[/quote]
I know what I meant. Adverse is the word I intentionally chose:
1 : acting against or in a contrary direction : HOSTILE
2 a : opposed to one’s interests <heard testimony adverse to their position

I am neither acting against, hostile to, or opposed to hearing dissent, different opinions, or even whingeing, (unless it’s people telling me I don’t understand the meaning of the words I use). :raspberry:

Dong jiu hao. :sunglasses:

[quote]I know what I meant. Adverse is the word I intentionally chose:
2 a : opposed to one’s interests <heard testimony adverse to their position [/quote]

You are not averse to these things, then. :wink:

Just pullin’ your leg.

I noticed in the “Dealing with the BS” thread, that there was a lot of ‘chopping’ of post going on. While I agree that the mod was right to omit the name calling, I also noticed that a few other things should have been left that had been taken out. But then again, moderating on F.com is left up to the mod’s discretion. But often I feel that many mod’s discretion is personal, i.e. what is politically correct to say as opposed to the reality of the real world.

Adults speak their minds, and while it’s not always pleasant, it’s their right.

[quote=“Namahottie”]I noticed in the “Dealing with the BS” thread, that there was a lot of ‘chopping’ of post going on. While I agree that the mod was right to omit the name calling, I also noticed that a few other things should have been left that had been taken out. But then again, moderating on F.com is left up to the mod’s discretion. But often I feel that many mod’s discretion is personal, i.e. what is politically correct to say as opposed to the reality of the real world.

Adults speak their minds, and while it’s not always pleasant, it’s their right.[/quote]
I only edited 3 posts (of 2 posters) and the editing was strictly limited to the name-calling / insults (= personal attacks). If anything else has been removed I don’t know about it.

I left a mod comment and mark “[…]” in each of the posts explaining why it was edited but the comments/marks from the two posts of the same user have disappeared.

Rgds,
Rascal

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Stimpy”]Averse Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
“having an active feeling of repugnance or distaste – usually used with to <averse to strenuous exercise”[/quote]
I know what I meant. Adverse is the word I intentionally chose:
2 a : opposed to one’s interests <heard testimony adverse to their position

I am neither acting against, hostile to, or opposed to hearing dissent, different opinions, or even whingeing, (unless it’s people telling me I don’t understand the meaning of the words I use). :raspberry:

Dong jiu hao. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Just to keep this thread moving along in the right :offtopic: direction, I thought I’d add this link:

bartleby.com/64/C003/013.html

“…But adverse normally does not refer to people, rather to things that are antagonistic or contrary to someone’s interests…”

[quote=“Namahottie”]I noticed in the “Dealing with the BS” thread, that there was a lot of ‘chopping’ of post going on. While I agree that the mod was right to omit the name calling, I also noticed that a few other things should have been left that had been taken out. But then again, moderating on F.com is left up to the mod’s discretion. But often I feel that many mod’s discretion is personal, i.e. what is politically correct to say as opposed to the reality of the real world.

Adults speak their minds, and while it’s not always pleasant, it’s their right.[/quote]

I’ve never been a moderator, but I have been a referee for kid’s (under age 10) soccer, and it’s much the same. You do your best, call what you see, try to see everything, and get yelled at by both sides of the field. Calling things too tight takes some of the enjoyment away from the kids. Calling them too loose gets kids hurt. As far as I can tell, most of the moderators here use their best judgment most of the time, which is all I can ask for as long as they don’t start temping my posts.

Tom, you’re such a Cnut sometimes.

Sadly, we can’t always have the world exactly as we want it and - no matter what we may demand - we’re still going to get wet feet.

I don’t think your post was wildly o/t, no more so than the post you were replying too was straying from the OP. But so what?

It’s just the internet, you’re free to repost, this is not a democracy, and if the people who run things make different decisions to the decisions you would make, then that’s just the way things are. Have your say, but don’t get your G-string tangled.

[quote=“tmwc”]Tom, you’re such a Cnut sometimes.

Sadly, we can’t always have the world exactly as we want it and - no matter what we may demand - we’re still going to get wet feet.

I[color=red] don’t think your post was wildly o/t, [/color]no more so than the post you were replying too was straying from the OP. But so what?

It’s just the internet, you’re free to repost, this is not a democracy, and if the people who run things make different decisions to the decisions you would make, then that’s just the way things are. Have your say, but don’t get your G-string tangled.[/quote]

Thanks. We agree that I wasn’t off topic.
As to behaviour, we all like to rant and rave from time to time. I haven’t sworn, I haven’t called anyones wife an ugly c*nt, and I haven’t resorted to personal attacks. I’d say this is a very tame rant on my part. And one which I am entitled to make. Spread your hippy vibes elsewhere, brotherman. :smiley:

I didn’t see that. Was anyone suspended?

I didn’t see that. Was anyone suspended?[/quote]That was me, it’s a term of endearment where I come from, so that’s ok then. Besides, you wouldn’t be asking for the rules that you think should be suspended to be enforced in this just this case surely…

I didn’t see that. Was anyone suspended?[/quote]That was me, it’s a term of endearment where I come from, so that’s ok then. Besides, you wouldn’t be asking for the rules that you think should be suspended to be enforced in this just this case surely…[/quote]

Well…I’ve gotten the axe so many times…I guess it’s because I haven’t gotten my secret decoder ring yet. :laughing: