I will post no more, forever

It’s been almost two years now, and quite frankly F.com has become tiresome.

The usual suspects will post a rah-rah-America thread, and the other usual suspects will post an America-the-great-Satan response.

A Canadian college student will regergitate the tired old Liberal Party line about Canada being the best country in the world, sincerely believing it because he’s still living in his parents’ basement and has never experienced the world, nor what it has to offer.

Those who have been here most of their adult lives will continue to write about all the things their Taiwanese spouses do that annoy them, and give themselves airs of superiority over those lesser beings who cannot read Shao Yong in the original Mandarin.

Some newbie will ask the same visa question that’s been asked nine times since yesterday.

All threads will be replete with childish playground arguments, one-upmanship, and one line zingers, all meant to put the other in his place so the poster can feel good about himself.

Even threads where people ask for help contain such banalities.

Ho hum.

A brand new day. Same old posts. Same old Forumosa.

As the saying goes, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. What has Dr_Zoidberg done to be part of the solution? Nothing! He’s easily sucked into all of it because he has an opinion on everything and won’t keep his yap shut.

He did organize a happy hour in Taichung, but that required importing people from Chiayi and Taipei to shore up the numbers. Nevertheless, as the Grand Poobah of the Taichung Social Club he will continue to organize events for the community in Taichung County, even if he is the only one who attends. That is what he is going to do to be part of the solution.

Now it’s up to the powers that be to kindly approve his new account name Taichung Social Club, the name under which he will organize events for the community (foreign and local).

Dr_Zoidberg bids you all adieu.

Yep. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that you’re leaving Z. I guess we all have different expectations from the site. Mine are to make and keep friends, get out and do stuff, help out a few folks when I can, and mostly have some fun and try to make leaving in Taiwan a bit easier for myself and those around me.

Peace

jds

Pithy offhand one-liner balancing mild sarcasm with studied nonchalance.

[quote]
Lord Lucan
National Security Advisor

What keeps YOU here? :smiley:

When you are right you are right.

Take care Dr.

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]It’s been almost two years now, and quite frankly F.com has become tiresome.

The usual suspects will post a rah-rah-America thread, and the other usual suspects will post an America-the-great-Satan response.

A Canadian college student will regergitate the tired old Liberal Party line about Canada being the best country in the world, sincerely believing it because he’s still living in his parents’ basement and has never experienced the world, nor what it has to offer.

Those who have been here most of their adult lives will continue to write about all the things their Taiwanese spouses do that annoy them, and give themselves airs of superiority over those lesser beings who cannot read Shao Yong in the original Mandarin.

Some newbie will ask the same visa question that’s been asked nine times since yesterday.

All threads will be replete with childish playground arguments, one-upmanship, and one line zingers, all meant to put the other in his place so the poster can feel good about himself.

Even threads where people ask for help contain such banalities.

Ho hum.

A brand new day. Same old posts. Same old Forumosa.

As the saying goes, if you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. What has Dr_Zoidberg done to be part of the solution? Nothing! He’s easily sucked into all of it because he has an opinion on everything and won’t keep his yap shut.

He did organize a happy hour in Taichung, but that required importing people from Chiayi (Jiayi) and Taipei to shore up the numbers. Nevertheless, as the Grand Poobah of the Taichung Social Club he will continue to organize events for the community in Taichung County, even if he is the only one who attends. That is what he is going to do to be part of the solution.

Now it’s up to the powers that be to kindly approve his new account name Taichung Social Club, the name under which he will organize events for the community (foreign and local).

Dr_Zoidberg bids you all adieu.[/quote]

Now, now, Dr_…don’t be bitter. It’s only a forum. What’s missing in the mix? Middle English Poetry?
And all (well, most) of your points are poignant. Yet you forgot the one about the otherwise witty long term posters who declare suddenly that they are fininshed, and in a dramatic fashion. And they either come back rested, or they don’t at all. In any event, their memory lives on, their witty posts encapsulated forever in the Hallowed Halls of The Hinternet. [i]{insert stirring music here}.

And so, Fare Well, Good Dr_.
May The Yorce We Fith Bou![/i]
:grandpa:
Cheers,
Ginger

[quote]
Lord Lucan
National Security Advisor

What keeps YOU here? :smiley:[/quote]

The one-liners? :wink:

Dr. Z -
You have provided a much needed balance.
Good fortune to you amigo.

Now…where can I find cream cheese and Old Spice deodorant? And can you believe how “they” drive here?

Who will make threads about where I am when I’m not posting. :cry: Bu bye as we say Chicago Dr. Z. You were a good poster, and your post was the anwser to my Thread “Has F.com become boring”. I think you said whereas many of the finest posters here have just poof left without saying goodbye. Hope you just say hi once in awhile.

Nama

Dr Z, sorry you’re leaving. I don’t see Forumosa the same way you do. Yes, of course there is a fair bit of annoying stuff, but there is also lots of good stuff. I focus on the good stuff and ignore the other stuff.

Anyway, I look forward to the Taichung Social Club.

Ja, right, I will also stop posting. Same old stuff for years now.
Enough is enough for me.
You won’t see a single post of me again here…

So where was I…

Thanks again for doing that :slight_smile:

All the best

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good-bye . . .

GIGO

Lucky for me I never let anyone know when I quit. Happens multiple times a day sometimes.

Too bad I never caught you at a Game Club or whatnot.

[quote=“joesax”]Dr Z, sorry you’re leaving. I don’t see Forumosa the same way you do. Yes, of course there is a fair bit of annoying stuff, but there is also lots of good stuff. I focus on the good stuff and ignore the other stuff.

Anyway, I look forward to the Taichung Social Club.[/quote]

I must agree. Everybody feels this way from time to time, but neither Forumosa, nor any other site except for blogs, can cater to the exact needs of any individual. You’ve got to take the good with the bad.

The other possibility is that you’ve changed. When you re-read a book, you’ll often come away with new insights and things you hadn’t noticed before - not because the book has changed, but because you have between readings (that and the fact that you already know where the plot is headed, so you’re free to concentrate on the details). Obviously things are different on Forumosa, but there still is a slight parallel.

I’ve been lurking here pretty much since inception, and to be honest, I can’t see that what you’ve commented on has altered substantially over the years. The real difference happens to you over time. Whereas everything here was once new and informative and interesting and exciting, now you sense when things have come up multiple times, be it visa questions or Canada and America bashing or dating, etc. You also have a sense of Forumosans whose posts you’ve enjoyed but are no longer around; memorable threads that have bitten the dust or been swallowed by the flounder. It begins to feel like there is nothing new under the f.com banner, that it’s a book you’ve already read countless times. Perfectly natural, and enough to tire anyone and eclipse the new insights on old topics and new stuff floating alongside the detritus. The simple fact is that Forumosa no longer does for you what it once did (and you can’t really expect it to, about the only thing to do is rethink what if anything you want out of Forumosa at this juncture). It’s easy to blame the site, harder to engage in a little introspection. The latter may well be in order, though, since it sounds like maybe you have arrived at a new place, and that’s always a very good thing. It’s also worth mentioning that any newbie coming in today may feel the same way as you do two years from now, and any long-timer may see in your departure an echo of what others have done. Hell, in many ways, we’re all perpetual newbies.

A casual glance at the replies to your post, however, should show you that whether or not you decide to return, you have been a valued contributor, your input has been greatly appreciated, and you’ll be greatly missed. Maybe it’s the end of a relationship, in which case, don’t be too put off by your feelings at the point of break-up - try to recall the good with the bad. I hope you got something out of your time here, and, who knows, you might come back. I did. Twice. Under different nicks. And if not, my sincerest best wishes to you for the future. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Dr_Zoidberg”]

Dr_Zoidberg bids you all adieu.[/quote]

I’m confused. I thought he just meant “Dr_Zoidberg”, hi present Forumosa persona, was saying goodbye, but that he would continue to post under a new name: “Taichung Social Club”. :s

Maybe I should go to bed now. :unamused:

:wink:

Dr_Zoidberg,
Sorry to see you leave (it’s going to mean more work for Chewycorns). Forumosa works best if you actually meet up with other members. The internet by itself is all a little abstract and meaningless if it doesn’t lead to real-life action, a bit like masturbation compared to a real shag.

[quote=“almas john”]Dr_Zoidberg,
Sorry to see you leave (it’s going to mean more work for Chewycorns). Forumosa works best if you actually meet up with other members. The internet by itself is all a little abstract and meaningless if it doesn’t lead to real-life action, a bit like masturbation compared to a real shag.[/quote]

Oh come ON! STick to discussing things you know.