I would very much like an alternative forum that was much more heavily regulated

I see that your post has earned zero likes.

And only four of nine??

Or they may be agreeing with part but not necessarily all of the post. Or are welcoming someone new. Or are liking because it’s a respectful post, if not necessarily one they agree with. All kinds of reasons to like.

Edit: note the “OP” was moved from another thread. As the start of a new thread, yeah, it could come across as walking into a new place and complaining about it, but that wasn’t at all how I read it in the original context. In that thread it was more “Eh, I like this place, but this stuff annoys me.” Which… fair!

6 Likes

No.

Ideas and opinions are meant to be discussed openly and rebutted freely.

8 Likes

Try teaching a debate class in the current climate.

1 Like

Nice to read people here mostly respect freedom on conversation. So far i havent seen any all out hate here, and thats about right. If we were all the same, life would be boring. And we would still be living in caves rubbing sticks for heat. Dare to be different and accept being wrong sometimes :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Just don’t join the IP forum. And believe it or not it was way worse during Trumps heyday.
I think there are far too many wacky conspiracy posters as well, whether it’s a fault of this forum OR a general problem in society is hard to know. :sunglasses:

I do want them to be forced to post supporting evidence and show links to the data. If unable to do that I think their posting should start to be restricted.
Should we let them eat cake and leave things as is?:grin:

And there should be a limit on how many threads an individual can create in certain forums…Yes it is RRRRReally a Rolling problem here for years…

10 Likes

I like that, my analogy was a vegetarian going into a diner and protesting there was meat and two veg on the menu.

I like to think most posters on here are pretty smart.

So, if someone keeps posting about Biden being a senile pedophile they see through that.

Or, if someone relentlessly posts that Antifa isn’t a thing, they see through that.

IMO most of the posters on here are pretty smart and don’t need any hand-holding.

3 Likes

No and no. It’s fine the way it is.

2 Likes

I agRee with this Remark and find it Really ReassuRing that others have also Recognized this pRoblem and RRRRespect the value of evidence and data.

2 Likes

[Edited to keep names anoynmous] that can be just as true for t :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and m’s graceful saving assistance in that regard :laughing:

American here. I don’t understand cancel culture and deplatforming. Would like to think we’re above that.

We’re all adults, we all have brains, and we can all think for ourselves. Beyond me why anybody would advocate for clipping the wings of a poster instead of simply using a perfectly fine tool provided by the discourse software to ignore them.

I don’t understand the urge some have to make others shut up or to drive them away.

17 Likes

As a vegetarian that isnt very strict, two of my favorite things to do is go to a bbq and ask for the vegetarian option (which in taiwan they actually almost all help you do haha). The other is go into a vegan buffet and say, its ok i can just have fish ( a joke on many taiwanese lack of understanding that seafood is meat).

When its just light hearted fun and not serious, let conflicting ideas come out :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can make some mean vegetarian dishes, used to be just curries, but it takes time and effort to make them delicious, I definitely eat much less meat now than before, just have learned to work with the ingredients.

2 Likes

Why not just say it? What’s the purpose of beating around the bush? Nice to know who is against free speech here. :warning:

1 Like

The notion that an idea can be harmful is a huge shibboleth. Actually, I see nothing but a string of shibboleths here.

I call shenanigans.

It would be to the detriment of Forumosa if it began to mirror some of the recent antics of Google, FB, Twitter, etc.
The mods have done quite a good job over the years of keeping a nice balance between independent thinking and restraining over-the-top posts/threads. There’s a mute button for a reason on a TV as well as on this site.

13 Likes

Not being able to pronounce shibboleth was definitely harmful.

1 Like

In response to the OP, please no.

4 Likes

It’s not the content I think is a problem since yes most posters can see through the BS. It’s the personal attacks that are a problem.

1 Like