Ice breaker on MRT

The key in that situation is to be as non-threatening as possible.

If you see someone attractive and happen to make eye contact then a simple quiet Ni Hao and then break eye contact is a good start.

Then you have to read the signs. If she looks at you again and smiles then she is interested. If not then leave her alone.

If you speak little Chinese then leave it up to her to say something. I speak a bit but when I first lived in Taipei i didn’t. Sometimes if I shot a Ni Hao at someone they would break right into English and start talking to me.

A lot of it is about confidence but not over confidence.

Talk to me on the MRT and see what happens. Go on. I dare you. Anyway, who cares? I got my gear-change linkage fixed last night finally. Yay! No more MRT-ing for me, thank FUCK!

Wussman wrote: [quote] I got my gear-change linkage fixed last night finally. [/quote]

Taiwan is making you effete and womanly. A man should be able to fix everything by himself. Blindfolded!

Whats wrong with your signature Almas?

Taiwan is making you effete and womanly. A man should be able to fix everything by himself. Blindfolded![/quote]
Absolutely. But I was afraid of chipping a nail.

TycOOn wrote: [quote]Whats wrong with your signature Almas?[/quote]

Well, my “beer” signature was giving people the impression that I’m always talking about drinking. I changed it to “green tea” which is one of my many code words for lager.

To me a smile and sincerity go a long way.

although my clown makeup has been known to scare people from time to time.

Well, my “beer” signature was giving people the impression that I’m always talking about drinking. I changed it to “green tea” which is one of my many code words for lager.[/quote]

I think I’ll be drinking plenty of green tea this weekend!

gosh living in taipei means straining your neck everyday and losing your heart daily. There is always some hot chick somewhere during the course of your day. And its true that sometimes you have to make a play for it and at least give it a shot.

taiwanese girls LOVE attention and can tell if you are genuinely interested in them or not. Did i say they LOVE ATTENTION?? YES they do !!

give them attention and see if they respond. the ones who like you will respond. the ones who dont? nevermind, move on . Plenty of fish in Taiwan

I see you’re applying Taiwanese drift-net fishing techniques to the world of romance. Be sure to release the undersized ones. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Basically, if the girl you’re approaching thinks you’re cute, she’ll be interested no matter what idiotic things you spew out of your mouth.

If you’re an ugly creep, then regardless of what great pick up lines you use, she’s still not going to jump into your arms.

The standard pick up line is actually, “Can I be your friend?”.
Wo3 ke yi3 gen ni3 zhuo4 ge pen2 yo3 ma?

So I wouldn’t worry about the line you use, as long as it’s not too weird.

Compliments are usually a good way to start a conversation without making someone too uncomfortable.

1 Like

Something like:
“You complete me”?

1 Like

I see you’re applying Taiwanese drift-net fishing techniques to the world of romance. Be sure to release the undersized ones. :slight_smile:[/quote]

and the pregnant ones

1 Like

Something like:
“You complete me”?[/quote]

That’s not a compliment. That’d a…creepy statement from a stranger on the MRT. :stuck_out_tongue:

Try, “OMG!!! Your shoes are completely fabulous!!! Can I take them off and suck on your toes???”

1 Like

In your extremely chauvinistic thinking I must be a cold hearted bitch.

Something like:
“You complete me”?[/quote]

That’s not a compliment. That’d a…creepy statement from a stranger on the MRT. :stuck_out_tongue:

Try, “OMG!!! Your shoes are completely fabulous!!! Can I take them off and suck on your toes???”[/quote]
“Nice tits you have there. Are they real?” THAT one doesn’t work, I’ll tell you that for an absolute FACT. Goddamn woman. Anyone’d think I’d offered to shag her pomeranian or something. :unamused:

In your extremely chauvinistic thinking I must be a cold hearted bitch.[/quote]

Having followed this thread and having read the disparities between Fob’s thinking and that of some of the guys, the above two quotes are a perfect example of why men don’t understand women, and why women don’t understand men…

We think we’re being nice and/or charming. They think we’re being creepy and/or chauvinistic.
It’s amazing we manage to find mates and procreate at all…

As far as MRT’s, planes, trains and buses are concerned, I always seem to find myself seated next to old grannies, ugly girls, huge fat sweaty guys (spilling over onto my side :fume: ) and screaming kids. So, sorry. No advice on picking up ladies on the MRT. :frowning:

I met my first boyfriend in Taiwan on the MRT. This is how it worked. I sat in the same car every day on my commute home. He rode in the same car every day on his commute home. The car we both rode in every day happened to be the same car. One day after having seen each other ride in the same car everyday, we started talking.

Randomly approaching a girl on the MRT - NO!
Seeing a girl on a regular basis on the MRT so you have at least that one thing in common? - well… it sometimes works if you ride in the same car every day.

I hate to beat things over people’s heads, but I hope you got something from my experience.

Moral of the story? I forget. :wink:

Good luck and go get 'em, tiger.

1 Like

Well thanks for the replies…Guess I have to muster some courage and utilize the advice given thus far…Just hope none of them ask how much cash I got

[quote=“Truant”]Call me an old fart or something, but I believe any contact in such a manner as you describe would be based 100% on the physical - and if you think about it, she will also realise this.

The bottom line is it’s pretty shallow and any good women will feel that she is not respected for anything other than her looks, and it will only go downhill from there.[/quote]Bah, humbug.

[quote=“The Odds”]The love of minds lasts for longer than a life time/
The love of bodies takes you there.[/quote]

Eye contact, smile, “Hi.”
I get approached fairly regularly in the MRT. Done right, it’s flattering. Done wrong… too eagerly… it’s creepy.
Of course, I’m 6’2" and pushing 200 lbs, so I’m not often intimidated by those approaching me.