ID number after naturalization

According to this document, you get a national ID number after naturalization that’s in a different format than those who are natural-born Taiwanese. The first two digits are the same (X1 or X2) but the third digit is a number OTHER THAN 0-5, which are reserved for those who are born Taiwanese. Is this really the case? I’ve seen folks who have naturalized with ID numbers that are in the exact same format as natural-born citizens.

I’m also wondering if I can apply for services like online banking/credit cards, which are only available to Taiwanese nationals, using a national ID number in a different format??

Yes

Yes.

2 Likes

Always need to specify who’s pure taiwanese born and who’s not…

3 Likes

Good to know! I guess it doesn’t really matter that we get an ex-expat ID number that’s different as long as we can have the same perks.

Seems like that’s what they’re trying to do from the looks of it, but I know this guy who naturalized with an ID number starting with X11 and it got me wondering.

1 Like

I didn’t know this.

So… if the government can’t even create ID numbers in the same format for naturalized citizens as born-in-Taiwan Taiwanese, how on earth did they have the audacity to claim that the new ARC numbers are in the same format?

Let me tag on here and ask, do you get the new id when you first get your TARC or only after when you get the 身份證?

Both.

Your ID number changes when you change to a TARC and changes again when you get a 身份證

So 3 ‘for life’ ID numbers. 4 if you had an old style ARC number

Double the headache :runaway: :runaway:

…fun

At least it doesn’t change when going from ARC to APRC :relieved:

1 Like

Really? I asked that on her before and someone said it doesn’t change when you get TARC

Very overly complex system…

If I take other system as examples, this is unnecessarily complex:

1. HK gives you an ID number since birth or first day of HKID registration and that stays forever. The number itself cannot discriminate much between PR and not PR, but has on card only numbers/codes to show if u r a PR and if also a HK passport holder

2. Italy ID numbers are given randomly without any discrimination periodically as you renew your documents. The only identification number that stays with u forever is the tax ID, which shows your name, birthdate and place of birth (Italian city/province or foreign country, no distinction between citizens or not, and this id number can actually be calculated with an algorithm)

Does it change when you get a TARC? The doc only talks about after getting household registration (設籍) = national ID (身分證).

It changes because you become NWOHR, I remember fuzzy barbecue briefly mentioning the switch in his thread too.

For another comparison:
Australia does not have a national ID system. Drivers licences (proof of age cards are available from driving authorities that work in the same way, if you don’t want to drive) are used as the de facto ID card day-to-day and the ID number does not change for life. The Id number is issued randomly. Drivers licences from all states/territories can be used to verify identity online in all states/territories. It is impossible to tell someone’s immigration status using the card. The only exception is if you move to a different state/territory then you will get a new drivers licence and number from that state/territory. If you move back to your original state/territory your original number comes back. There is also a points system and 100 points of ID are required for some services.
Different numbers are used for tax and this number NEVER changes but you use generally use your drivers licence to apply for a Tax File Number.
Applying for your first Australian passport or a replacement passport is probably when this system is the biggest pain. The burden of proof of citizenship is on the applicant and being born in Australia does not automatically make you a citizen.

The only exception is starting work. You need to prove the right to work so either Aus/NZ passport, foreign passport (which will be used to check your visa) or birthday certificate from any Australian state/territory

Oh, okay. I wonder if this is something new that came with the new foreigner ID format. Btw, when are you planning to apply? I’m applying in November

On the 18th of April :blush:

Could be something new since the new ID numbers. I’m not really sure

1 Like

What’s written in the attached image in my original post actually doesn’t make much sense. Table 3 (表3) is about national ID number (國民身分證號) which you can only get after you get household registration (戶籍) but the table goes on to assign different numbers to expats or stateless persons (6), citizens with no household registration (7), Hong Kong and Macau citizens (8) and mainland Chinese (9), all of whom are not eligible for a national ID…

I thought that too

Your ID number does not change when you get your TARC, it only did for some of us because of the new uID implemented in all types of ARC. so if you already have the new uID number, it will not change.

Only when you get your 身份證.

5 Likes

after the ID number became the format with one letter and nine digits, till 2003 July, the 2nd digit was a part of serial number with the last 7 digits.

Yes!! Mine’s a F16 :airplane: :sweat_smile:

Of course you can!!! You’re Taiwanese now albeit half-half…not a real Taiwanese but Taiwanese since the Govt. wanna put tabs on us half breeds by placing us in a different number bracket :rofl:

Only after getting the 身份證(設戶籍) …that is, when you go to HHR on the day you become eligible for the ID after spending at least a year on your TARC.

2 Likes