Idiots

This guy is very funny and educative. He is a Canadian engineer who does this things on purpose to teach the dangerous of electricity and some hoaxes such as free energy.
Highly recommended!

Mother-of-the-year plays game of “chicken” with her 3 year old son, runs over him with SUV when he doesn’t get out of the way in time.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/06/23/us/suv-chicken-child-death/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YwDSUDAh0

it took a minute or so to stop in the name of Jesus.
surprised it was just punches with so many bats likely laying around.
what prompted it? did some parents forget it was their turn to bring post-game snacks?

A pretty well written opinion piece in this morning’s Wall Street Journal.

The only thing I don’t agree with is the author’s support for the stupid participation medals and/or trophies. Insane. There must be winners and losers in order to teach youth how to develop proper coping skills whilst faced with the adversity of losing. Otherwise we’ll just end up with a bunch of crybaby momma boys who cope with their girlfriends breaking up with them by stabbing them 50 times and tossing their bodies into plastic bags in Yangmingshan!

image image image image

3 Likes

I agree, sports is about winning. But in the pursuit of winning, there are many lessons to learn. Since you can’t always win, and everyone will get to a level where they are no longer the best no matter how good you are. How to win gracefully, how to win with others, what’s worth sacrificing to win, how to lose gracefully, how to overcome adversity, how to put in the work to get better when you lose. Don’t take away these valuable lessons, I have a feeling those who think this way don’t know anything about sports and never played.

As for this incident, bad calls happen. And sometimes it literally will cost you the game. You take it gracefully, and shake the other teams hand and thank the refs and umps. That’s it. It’s ok to get angry, but control yourself and act with good sportsmanship. This is one of the lessons I hope one day my kids will learn.

6 Likes

Participation trophies are dumb, but I think awards (not trophies) for “most improved” are okay since it encourages further practice and shows hard work pays off. But only if there’s one “most improved” award per team, so not to diminish its meaning. I played little-league baseball as an 8 year old and was hopeless, but I felt a new energy and enthusiasm for it when I got such an award myself as a kid and then I played on for another couple years and by the end I was one of the best players.

4 Likes

You should reward and praise positive behavior. I do this with my kids when I coached. I make sure I notice these small improvements and positive things they do. Participating is not a positive behavior. It’s the most basic expectation.

Improvement is the goal really, always strive for improvement. That’s why I think it’s a shame to take away the experience of losing. Losing as a kid in a game is the most safe environment I can think of experiencing this kind of disappointment and hardship. If your kid can’t take and deal with losing in a children’s game…how are they supposed to deal with real life disappointments? Losing sucks and the positive way of dealing with it is to improve next time and try again with a good attitude. Why take this away?

3 Likes

I got “most improved” when I was 9. It’s actually an embarrassing prize.

I was mocked for it, but it did toughen me up.

If only there was a prize for Monty Python knowledge, you would be World Champion :yum:

2 Likes

Man, this thread is full of wisdom!

2 Likes

There must be winners and losers because it’s built into the structure of the universe. The universe does not reward overly graceful losers. The universe isn’t that nice to sore losers either. The universe just doesn’t like losers.

To be overly graceful about losing implies you accept your identity as a loser. Of all the clubs to join, that’s the worst. If you must lose, lose this way: be determined to win at a later date. The best kind of loser is a temporary loser. The universe loves a good comeback story.

1 Like

5 Likes

I get endless bizarre (written) variations on my name in the Philippines, some not even remotely close. I reckon this is a direct consequence of parents inventing stupid names, because it expands the possible range of what you think someone said to an infinite number of possibilities.

I bet there is actually someone called “Cark” out there.

2 Likes

Alright, now that’s really funny! Starting immediately I’m going to say my name is “Cock”, then next time “Wanker”. In fact, I’m going to have some custom name tags made up. Let’s see…how does Willy Wanker sound? Mr. William Cock?!? Cock Bite? Mike Hunt or Mike Hawk works, too! Oh, I just remembered an alias I used to use, “Ben Dover”.

Thanks for the chuckle Finley and the ideas!

2 Likes

Not Carl with K?

Whatever retarded name you can think of, it’s pretty much guaranteed that some mouthbreathing parent has actually called his/her kid that. I seem to recall a psychology paper involving a kid who had been named “Loser”.

Bonus observation: I’m in Taichung at the moment, and just walked past a hotpot shop called “Wan Ke”. Bet they’re taking up a lot of bandwidth on instagram.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/s1WFtQxAeas?t=8

1 Like

Not an internet cafe?

1 Like

Cark Kent would be a pretty cool name.

1 Like