Idiots

I’ve noticed that chickens are so brainless that, if you startle them, they’ll attempt to run away but aren’t quite sure which direction is “away”. As far as I can tell, when they run towards you flapping and squawking they’re actually trying to escape.

1 Like

You feint a jab, slip the beak, then break their necks.

My view is they’re basically an extreme version of all domesticated animals. If every human being dropped down dead right now cows, pigs, chickens etc would have no chance. We’ve bred useless animals. They are useful to us, but that’s as far as it goes.

In the old country, they do raise fighting roosters. We also have a smaller than average kind that is as nasty as can be, with sharp beaks to boot. One attacked my mom on the foot, «pinched/bit/stung» so deep and drew so much blood she ended up in a dispensary getting stitches.

Another of the dubious benefits of ‘civilisation’ the Spanish spread wherever they went …

True. Fortunately there are lots of breed associations dedicated to breeding useful ones. There are very few useless breeds, but they’re the most visible ones because they’re what you’re most likely to see on an industrial, government-approved farm.

One has to wonder whether, if it’s possible to create a breed of useless animals by corralling them in boxes and pandering to their basic needs, it’s possible to create a breed of useless humans by doing the same thing …

1 Like

One has to be grateful that bullfighting never took off. But it left the door open to dog fighting, imported from the US, which is now more popular, unfortunately.

My uncle had this chicken when I was young. The Taiwanese kind with tougher rubbery meat. It always attacked me when he saw me. Maybe it depends on the breed.

Ah, it would probably attack anyone.

If Manila the street people have roosters on leashes to guard them while they sleep on the sidewalk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBlst3T7bY

It never attacked my uncle so IDK. Maybe because I was smaller at that time. I was terrified of that chicken, they can charge pretty fast at you.

I got the last laugh though…I ate that chicken with a smile.

2 Likes

It probably knew you were intending to eat it :slight_smile:

People always think free-range chickens are tough but that’s because they’re usually not cooked properly. Rigor mortis in a chicken sets in around 2 hours after slaughter … which, if you kill it and then cook it immediately, is precisely when you’re cooking it. So it’s tough. Stick it in the fridge for 24-48 hours and it’ll be fine, although an older bird is probably best roasted (lowish temperature, longer cooking time).

On a lighter note … my sister had a slightly retarded rooster that really like to be around humans. He’d come up to you and grumble to be picked up. Depends on the chicken, I guess.

1 Like

I don’t know so much about chickens, but I was told the Taiwanese country chicken’s meat is tougher and thats the way people like it for certain dishes.

The Country chicken is not the pure native chicken, and is defined as the locally developed slow growth type of chicken. In Taiwan, Country chickens dominate meat type chicken market for decades. The native chickens in Taiwan have blue or black shank and tightly fitted feather covering. They are descendants of Chinese, Japanese, American and possible some European breeds. Because the imported commercial white broiler does not fit to the traditional cooking, consumers look for native chickens. Although farmers had introduced foreign breeds to improve the production efficiency, Taiwan Country chickens possess certain unique characteristics, such as a large and erected comb and heavy fleshy legs.

1 Like

It’s definitely tougher because they’ve been running around instead of locked in box, but it shouldn’t be rubbery. The flavour is better IMO.

This is the key to eating meat without guilt. Breed meat animals you can’t feel any empathy for.

Vegans feel no guilt at all over eating helpless vegetables, because vegetables have no personality. Fish haven’t much personality. Cows just sort of stare at you vacantly. And chickens are kind of obnoxious.

Pigs. Don’t get me started on pigs. The swine.

1 Like

Aren’t all the chickens sold in wet markets roosters? Therefore, a bit tough and lots of leg meat but little breast.

1 Like

Oh @BiggusDickus we have all been there :smile: Birds come in all shapes and sizes. Tenderness is important .

3 Likes

Pigs can be pretty cute pets though.

Too lazy to crow for days

Taiwanese residing in Canada have been renting out luggage space on Facebook to make extra money while traveling abroad, the office said.

A Facebook group dedicated to luggage sharing, named “Toronto Luggage Space Trade” (多倫多行李空間買賣), was established in 2017 and has more than 1,000 members, with new inquiries posted nearly every day, it said.

Some members ask C$10 (US$7.70) per kilogram of luggage or C$200 for 23kg, it added.

And they also lie when asked at the counter if they packed all the luggage themselves.

Only takes one false-bottom luggage to ruin their lives.

6 Likes

That is seriously idiotic.