Idiots

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but I didn’t see anything clearly stating if their seastead was in international waters or not.

My experience is quite a few foreigners go there thinking they can do whatever they want on vacation and just go crazy with no regard for personal safety or local laws. It is somewhat true and they do bring a lot of money and spend it. But there’s no going back from certain things once they decide to get you.

2 Likes

I didn’t click on that article but read up on this elsewhere.

He says he’s in international waters. Thailand disagrees.

1 Like

I got that part. However, this should be something easy to be confirmed, no?

No idea. Does a guy squatting in some sort of abandoned floating tool shed hire international attorneys to look into it or do people who police such matters even care about people like him?

I really have no idea who polices such matters and have always believed it’s the nearest country that polices the ‘borders’. I mean, it’s not like nearly any other country in Asia can agree on where such lines lie.

1 Like

Somehow I don’t think this guy is an expert on maritime law. I’m going to trust the Thai government over weirdo expat that wants to set up his own libertarian offshore fiefdom.

1 Like

The thing is, that confirmation is not going to mean much to a Thai patrol boat. Wisely they left their insane perch in the middle of the ocean, hopefully they can ride out the aftermath. I’m sure they can if they cave

1 Like

They were just beyond the 12 nmi / 22 km Thailand is allowed to claim as its sovereign territory; however, they were within its 200-nmi / 370-km exclusive economic zone (EEZ). Thailand was apparently worried that structures like that would clutter up its shipping lanes.

1 Like

I’m wondering if that dog they found swimming out at sea belonged to that couple?

Ha, but no for sure, other side of peninsula.

For the record, it was Peter Thiel’s idea. :whistle:

It’s a touchy subject. If they don’t deal with it what’s to stop China parking a load of crap 13 miles off Thailand?

hahaha

1 Like

More on this.
Remind me never to fly within China.

6 Likes

Damn. That’s some mage-level idiocy right there. It suggests empirical support for Cipola’s theory, which postulates that stupid people are capable of causing more damage than evil people because they don’t comprehend the extent of their own incompetence:

How much damage would the coins do?

You have no idea how a small piece of debris can damage something as delicate as an engine…in th eair. Bird strikes come to mind.

That said, they are supposed to withstand such stresses… and that is why we have two engines.

However, best not risk it.

https://www.quora.com/If-coins-were-thrown-into-an-airplane-engine-and-the-plane-tried-to-take-off-what-would-most-likely-happen

That’s got to be the winner.

We’ll have to run a poll at some point

I can’t believe anything could beat throwing bits of metal into the jet engine of a plane you’re about to board.

1 Like