IF Mr. Korean Fish becomes president in 2020

Not China’s restrictions on sending groups to Taiwan ?

There’s been a lot of extra investment into Taiwan due to the trade wars. The economy here isn’t doing badly in reality.
I’m not saying the situation is all rosy, but it’s probably significantly better economically than just a few years ago.

1 Like

It’s worth thinking about for sure. Things can change although it’s usually fairly gradual like HK. I don’t want my kids growing up in ‘China’ nor do I want to live in ‘China’ anyway that’s for sure !

1 Like

I mean, it’s all kind of sad and funny…
You and others (correct me if I’m wrong) are crying for Taiwan to be independent, but then shriek, China will kill us if Taiwan declares independence, so Taiwan must NOT declare independence.
So, you either admit you are in Catch-22 that results in the same fate as HK for nearly absolute surety, or you tell DPP President to give the big f-u to everyone in the world and declare an independence referendum. Until then, crying for independence but then worrying about the consequences of declaring independence makes you (or those with such worries) appear very extremely weak and scared. More scared than those HK protesters. At least they are telling China to f-u, and HK has no military like Taiwan.

I say all this even as I want Taiwan independent.
Just get on with it and stop crying over spilt milk every time China grabs another country that used to recognize ROC. boo hoo hoo.

1 Like

Declaring independence includes first admitting that it was part of the same territory.
To my understanding, this is still a point of disagreement.

2 Likes

I think Taiwan is already independent, there is no doubt about it. We just cannot get anyone to acknowledge it.

As I have said before, both Taiwan and Hong Kong have had their fates decided by the powers, who split the world as they pleased and left us in the cold, threw us to the big bad wolf dictorship China.

I am not worried about the consequences of declaring independence, I know what those consequences are, legally and in practical terms. I am not scared, I know what will happen.

We are indeed living in aCatch 22. Dammed if we do, dammed if we don´t. Without US support, China attacks. It needs to attack to set an example out of Taiwan, or else it loses the rest of China. US has said it will not support a de jure independence. So it might sell us weapons and there is a faint hope it might help us if attacked, but if we “provoked” the attack, well, it has a very good excuse not to. However, there is the issue our very existence irks China.

As to Hong Kong, China has already said it will not recognize the international treaties it signed with UK, and there is nothing anyone is willing to do. Hong Kong is just exposing the real face of China leadership and hopefully seeding the next generation of fighters. We are all just bidding our time until the wind changes and China falls. Until then, we are royally screwed, as is the rest of the world, until they also recognize it.

Taiwan would be 1C1S soon after 2020!

No. Tourism is not at all important to taiwan ecomomy. I am in manufacturing and export. Mostly biological related. Though those certainly arent the only industries affected. Because if Mas reign of idiocy the wood industry, as one of many examples, is dead now. Taiwan is essentially a small scale unmanufactured log producer and an unmafactured log shipping hub on a bigger scale. This affects in a very huge way the amazon, canada, borneo, indonesia etc etc. Now forests are geyting raped for pennies and profits being sent to china, where they now open up shop in vietnam and bypass this silly little trade war. Probably one of the only things trump actually got more or less right.

Taiwan also has this tricky little issue of no meaningful free trade agreements.

So i see it like this. DPP is weak but moving toward the right direction of reaching out to the world. Kmt looks for fast cash and fucks off as soon as the getting get tough.

Not a good scenario. So Taiwan really should, i guess, Support Tsai this round over Mr. Korea (stop editing me…) As she is at least doing something, albiet probably too little too late.

So ehat are the people doing? Ctaitungs attitude of let it roll seems more like something someone who just pla s to leave when it gets crazy. That kind of thinking isnt helping anyone and can probably just be ignored. This issue affects a lot of people in serious ways. And the snowball effect is obvious.

All for cheaper shit. Every great civilization probably failed for equally retarded reasons…why keep allowing it?

Taiwan doesn’t need to declare independence. We need to either change the constitution or rewrite one and establish a new republic of Taiwan.

4 Likes

It’s important to people who depend on tourism for their liveliehood!

I know there a lot of dodgy stuff that goes on with the wood importers and sellers here. Greedy bastards raping what’s left of the ancient forests.

A sure sign of an economy in decline is when they focus on tourism. It’s always a disaster, and not only in economic terms.

Boosting tourism is when politicians have run out of ideas.

1 Like

I haven’t met anyone who this is true for. Unless you are referring to the tax skirting street vendors?

B&B owners. Hotel owners. Restaurant owners…

Tourism isn’t beneficial, IMO, to a nation, but many individuals benefit from it.

It’s obvious the people who work in hotels and restaurants and amusement parks , street vendors and vendor stores , tour guides , taxi drivers, bus drivers, mechanics and service personnel, facilities providers for hotels , interior decorators , construction workers and of course business owners and owners of airbnb apartments themselves. That still adds up to a lot of people. They may not all be 100% dependent on tourism but it probably accounts for a good percentage of income for many especially in the busy seasons and the weekends.

It is true there is an industry of toyrism here. But if we look at general percebtges its very very low down the priority list for taiwan. Then plug in the numbers of doing things right and pretty (sort of like japan) and compare them to the benifit anf we come to a zero sum game. I hope taiwan could develop in a manner that thinks about the future, but its an uphill battle times a million here. Right down to grandma, few people care. We are a manufacturing hub and sort of a logistics hubs (like a retarded, yet humane, Singapore). Its hard to make a switch so drastic when there is very little sense of loyality or diligence to improve. Maybe that, we can work on first.

The main tourist industries that actually do well here for rich idiots on busses are virtually all foreign brands. I get some bbq and fruit vendors make a bit too but nothing like the purses, perfumes and all that other superficial small penis/gold digger related market that seems to be promoted. This is an area people can also change. Even beg packing esl teachers can teach kids basic morals and ethics…thats probably what we most lack.

1 Like

I was led to believe the hotels, tour bus operators, airlines, tour guides and knickknack stores were all Chinese owned. The B&B owners opened to satisfy the vacancy problem that hordes of tour groups created. I’ve stayed in a couple of those places and I’m sure theyll not be missed. I think a lot of businesses boomed to cater to those groups where they might have put their energy into something else. Sucks people lost business but, that’s business. Not the government’s fault.

Right there with you. Business is business. Entitlement does still get wrapped up in 4 year popularity contests though :frowning:

So, aside from the not so nation saving importancy that is tourism in taiwan,we do have some real government “at faults”. Not so much to blame so much as to push them into doing things faster, better and more efficiently with long term prospects in mind.

Things like
Free trade agreements
Tarrifs and duties
Wages
Workers human rights
Trade fairs
Etc etc

These are things the government is in fact here to do, and when they do we the public and local businesses should appreciate it publicly so we dont keep going down this spiral of stupidity and facebook memes.

where did you hear that? i mean that hasn’t happened in hongkong or macau. and hong kong has a more face destroying history than taiwan. i’m sure the ccp don’t have nice plans for taiwan but that doesn’t make much sense.

Who do you follow on Facebook?

One of those PLA generals spit it out two months ago or so.

Douglas MacArthur publicly threatened to bomb China in defiance of Truman’s stated war policy (and got fired).
General Jeffrey Harrigian just recently talked up how the US has plans to destroy all air defenses in the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad.

Generals always be talking smack.
It’s in their blood. Except for ROC Army generals.

1 Like