If not your current job - what?

Selling baozi is good, but most of the stalls aren’t legal. As a foreigner, you are likely to have your competitors getting you in legal trouble.

If not my current job as an editor in a financial sweatshop?

Barefoot surgeon and more frequent surfer.

HG

How about an etiquette school?

Lesson 1: One never emerges from a Benz in flip flops.
Lesson 2: A silver spitoon should be used to collet betel nut spit…

Coffee and/or gelato and/or chocolate place, but not in Taipei, because this town is already saturated with this kind of places.

If I’d won the lottery :wink: I’d leave the island and move to LA, buy a place and spend the rest of my life writing screenplays and trying to sell them - not an option for someone who needs an income.

The coffee market looks a bit saturated in the other places as well - the mobile carts are big in the countryside. We have a place in Yangmei, which roasts its own beans - I would go with Italian roasted beans every time. But it would still be fun and better than drinking taipi and watch tv, which would be the alternative.

I uesd to be a bartista and I am great w/ customers… I don’t mind working for you… as long as I get free espresso in the morning! :wink: What a great deal for ya??! (JK)

I guess there aren’t any good looking people on Forumosa. No one has said MODEL.

[quote]I guess there aren’t any good looking people on Forumosa. No one has said MODEL.
[/quote]

Maybe the people on Formosa are very humble. Who likes a bragger? :slight_smile:

I’d like to be a watch model. People say I have great-looking wrists.

geocities.com/Hollywood/Trai … llery6.htm

okay, FINE, I am coming out of the closet, I look like her… (except for the hair, the face, the eyes, the body, the… well, you get the hint, right? :wink: )

And just how did you get such great looking wrists?

Sounds fine. :smiley:

Seriously, it’s usually best to run a few shots in the morning after the machine has warmed up in order to get the grouphead temperature stable. That’s a problem on the heat-exchanger machines like La Pavoni, San Marino, La Cimbali etc. Getting you to drink the first cups will always be better than investing 250000NT$ in a twin-boiler machine like a La Marzocco or the most expensive Conti. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

If i didn’t have to do the job i do to pay the bills, I would: start a bed and breakfast hotel/hostel along the coast in Taitung.

Excellent place to do so. Beautiful beaches, coconut palms and a nice hot springs resort in the back near the mountains.

You might end up with more than what’s needed to pay the bills with that idea.

If I didn’t have this job, I would open a brew-your-own-beer shop. And as a side business, I’d have a fish farm, and cook the fish up in a nice beer batter, and sell it on weekends in Danshui / Tanshui / Tamshui / Dansui / Tansui.

Wow, this sounds interesting as well, where did ya get the idea of cook up the fish in better batter??

maybe someone should open-up a FORUMOSA shop with all the ideas on this thread, having us running it would be fun!!

Yes, I am a dreamer!

Espresso and beer battered fish… Interesting combination

No Skills ? Sense of adventure ?
How about becoming a pilot with China Airlines ?

[quote=“Scuba”]No Skills ? Sense of adventure ?
How about becoming a pilot with China Airlines ?[/quote]

Life expectancy too short.

[quote=“Scuba”]No Skills ? Sense of adventure ?
How about becoming a pilot with China Airlines ?[/quote]

I actually seriously looked into this about a year ago, but it’s pretty difficult unless you are already in the industry.

If you are a foreigner applying for a job as a pilot, then you have to already be a trained, licensed, and experienced commercial pilot. There is no training program for foreign hires. They want you to hit the ground running. (no pun intended) :slight_smile:

If you want to apply for and go through their training program, you have to apply before you reach a certain age. The exact age depends on your level of training when you apply, and is lower the less training you have. You also have to be a Taiwanese citizen, or be eligible for Taiwanese citizenship (A/B/CBCs, etc.). Then, you have to have completed your military service before you can apply. Completed, meaning that you served or were granted an exemption (too heavy, too tall, etc.). Using the leave once every 4 months rule for those with Overseas status does not count as a valid exemption. In addition, if you go this route, you have to sign a 15-20 year contract which costs around US$750,000 to break. In short, the airline owns you until pretty close to retirement age.

Actually, the condition that you have completed your military service is company policy across the board, and applies to ground staff, ticketing agents, etc., not just for the pilots.

Assuming you’ve completed your military service and want to apply, you then have to pass proficiency tests in math, physics, etc., among other things, and I believe you also need a university degree, so those with no skills are probably out too. :?

Having said all that, if you don’t mind the frequent travel schedule, it’s quite a lucrative job:

• The pay is based on international standards (as opposed to a separate local Taiwan rate as with most other professions). That translates to anywhere from 3x-7x the pay of average university educated working professional in Taiwan. With that pay level in Taiwan, you can live quite comfortably and build savings quickly. If you are hired as a foreign expat pilot, you get even more benefits, such as a housing allowance, for example.

• Because of regulations, you are limited in the number of hours you can fly each month, so even after accounting for classes on the ground and paperwork, you get up to 2 weeks off each month.

• Once you leave work (get off the plane), the time is yours, and you do not have to put in overtime, or think about work related things. The only exception to this is when you have upcoming exams or classes. In my opinion, this point is the best of the benefits

On the surface, about the only downside is the 15-20 year contract for those that got trained by the airline.