If not your current job - what?

Hahaha, well, if you are the pilot, and the plane crashes, then chances are it’s your fault anyway. :smiley:

At least that’s how I looked at it…

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“Scuba”]No Skills ? Sense of adventure ?
How about becoming a pilot with China Airlines ?[/quote]

Life expectancy too short.[/quote]

I think the idea is not to hit the ground at all. If a pilot does, he generally splashes.

…with maxi-taxi service to bring big groups of guests back and forth.

Maybe you’d look good in these.

I’d like to run some kind of outdoor-adventure business, taking small groups of students and office workers (preferably all or predominantly female) on river-trekking, kayaking, and other such activities.

Imagine actually earning money from doing something as enjoyable as that!

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]I’d like to run some kind of outdoor-adventure business, taking small groups of students and office workers (preferably all or predominantly female) on river-trekking, kayaking, and other such activities.

Imagine actually earning money from doing something as enjoyable as that![/quote]

actually, i’m with you on that one. Man, Hualien was great. Can’t wait to go climbing in Taidong. but i’d rather do this kind of business somewhere with a better outdoors maybe Canada, NZ, or even the remote regions of Western China.

our motto can be “We leave Stragglers Behind”.

If I weren’t doing what I’m doing, and I could choose anything else… I would like to be a zoo keeper (I already said this on some other thread)… but the other thing I’d really like, is to be a lighthouse keeper. I love the ocean and the sound of waves and the air.

Could bee a nice job. Not the stress and press of a big-city career.

In my weak moments, I think about becoming a civil servant in the Danisk countryside. Not much pressure, salary isn’t all that high, but the quality of life would be a great deal higher.

Those dreams take some swallowing.

Omni, someone beat you to it. Haven’t you seen the Fresh Trex banners at the top of the page?

I hadn’t noticed it before (I never pay any attention to those banners), but I just clicked on to take a peek. It looks pretty much like what I have in mind, but they really need to have someone edit their appalling English!

Is that the operation run by the French guy (Michel, or something like it?), who I read about in the Liberty Times earlier this year? I really envied him when I saw what he was doing, but have to acknowledge that, with his experience and professional background, he’s much better qualified to do it than I am.

Anyway, it’s definitely a money-making proposition. Now that more and more Taiwanese are waking up to the benefits and pleasures of outdoor “adventure” activities, there’s surging demand for such services – especially given that so many locals are incapable of just going and exploring by themselves but need to join an organized group with a leader before they’ll consider going anywhere off the beaten track (or even anywhere on it, in many cases). Therefore, there should be room for plenty of competitors in the market.

In the places where I go river-trekking, I meet more and more such groups at weekends during the summer (though very few indeed in the colder months). If you limit the number in a group to just ten or a dozen, charge them something like NT$1,000~1,500 per person for a day’s outing, take them up to the starting-point in a small bus, provide helmets and ropes and other basic equipment, pay for insurance coverage, and perhaps bring along some grub for lunch, you ought to be able to make a fairly decent income from it as well as having a bloody good time.

Sorry, I can’t resist. :laughing:

From A Clockwork Orange:

I Want to Marry A Lighthouse Keeper - Erika Eigen

I want to marry a lighthouse keeper
And keep him company.
And live by the side of the sea.
I’ll polish his lamp by the light of day
So ships at night can find their way.
Won’t that be okay!
We’ll take walks along the moonlight bay
Maybe find a treasure too.
I’d love living in a light house,
HOW 'BOUT YOU?
The dream of living in a lighthouse baby, every single day.
The dream of living in a lighthouse,
the white one by the bay.
So if you want to make my dreams come true,
You’ll be a lighthouse keeper too.
We could live in a lighthouse
The white one by the bay,hey hey.
Won’t that be okay.
Yada tada ta ta ta.

Sorry, I can’t resist. :laughing:

From A Clockwork Orange:

I want to Marry A Lighthouse Keeper - Erika Eigen

And keep him company.
And live by the side of the sea.
I’ll polish his lamp by the light of day
So ships at night can find their way.
Won’t that be okay!
We’ll take walks along the moonlight bay
Maybe find a treasure too.
I’d love living in a light house,
HOW 'BOUT YOU?
The dream of living in a lighthouse baby, every single day.
The dream of living in a lighthouse,
the white one by the bay.
So if you want to make my dreams come true,
You’ll be a lighthouse keeper too.
We could live in a lighthouse
The white one by the bay,hey hey.
Won’t that be okay.
Yada tada ta ta ta.[/quote]

I don’t remember that from the movie…is it from the musical?

Omni, I’m going to do their Yushan trek at the end of November. I’ll post about it afterwards.

You’re right that more and more places are offering outdoor adventures. Around Alishan, for example, the government has encouraged the local people to turn their houses into B&B’s and take people on hiking and camping trips. Probably you could get into some very interesting areas if you expressed an interest to your guide.

[quote=“Toe Save”]

I don’t remember that from the movie…is it from the musical?[/quote]

Nope. It’s from the movie. It’s playing on the radio when Alex comes home after being reformed and finds Joe (the new lodger).

geocities.com/Athens/Academy … cript.html

Taiwan’s mountains and creeks are a fabulous resource. Let’s hope the local people can be taught to make the most of it without doing irreparable damage in the process.

It’ll be very interesting to hear about the Yushan trek, MM. Have fun, and don’t fall down too much or too far.

Opening a B&B place in a scenic area and taking groups of guests off trekking strikes me as a pretty good way to make a living.

Have fun, and don't fall down too much or too far. 

Why, is there a bar at the top?

Check out this campsite:

ali.org.tw/ali_admin/en/scen … d/1214.jpg

ali.org.tw/ali_admin/en/scen … d/1514.jpg

There’s no bar at the top, but you can arrange it if you can carry them up.

I would not, as altitude sickness and alcohol aren’t good together.

Fall off? Possible if you are not careful. The last kilometer can be hairy at times.

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]
Check out this campsite:[/quote]

Stunning! But given the flakiness of most of the rock I’ve seen in Taiwan, I wouldn’t much care to be there during an earthquake or torrential rain.

You’re right. I’d much rather be in my cooking-oil-can-reinforced-wall apartment. :laughing:

That’s funny. Maybe we are not so much different! But actually I would like to be a nature ranger/guide rather than a zoo keeper. Kakadu national park or Cookstown in Australia. Well lots of places. Maybe like Floyd on TV but I can’t cook!
I could definitely be a head gardener of some places if I got to live in the a 19th century gardeners cottage in the middle of the park and everbody got thrown out after 5pm. That would be rather cool.
Lighthouse keeper would be a good one if you got the weekends off! Of course a holiday would be much easier
o2.12travel.ie/accommodation/isl … whead.html

Gentleman farmer is not a bad one in the summertime, I might get round to it someday. (My generation could be an urban aberration in my family).

Treasure hunter for sunken ships, if I can just get over my land legs. Owner of solar power company…that’s kind of a cool one because you’d be doing good every day and making money.
Doctor who comes up with some new treatment system, would be a rewarding one.