If the CCP invades, will you fight?

Well I have trouble telling nuance from statement.

3 Likes

Can someone tell me if this is the Taiwan News of Taiwan or some horseshit ccp site?

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) ā€” In an essay published by the U.S. Naval Institute, former Deputy Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Michael Morell and former Admiral James Winnefeld warn that Chinese leader Xi Jinping (ēæ’čæ‘å¹³) will ā€œbring Taiwan back into Chinaā€ in mid-January 2021.
With the West distracted by the U.S. election and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the authors believe the ā€œoperationā€ will be completed in just three days.
Morell and Winnefeld paint a worst-case scenario in the article, published by the private, non-profit U.S. Naval Institute. They predict the operation will unfold quickly, ā€œbeginning on the evening of 18 January,ā€ prior to the U.S. presidential inauguration.

They always keep saying that because they want to convince Taiwan to buy overpriced weapon system.

2 Likes

Honestly, if I were Xi Jinping, Iā€™d be looking to consolidate my foothold in the Philippines. All that prime lebensraum that the natives donā€™t value, with a completely incompetent administration, no national defence, and no international friends. Thousands of Chinese have been quietly filtering in and snapping up real estate during the ā€œCovid Crisisā€, presumably as a beachhead. Taiwan is a much harder nut to crack, itā€™d ultimately be a Pyrrhic victory, and it doesnā€™t have nearly so much scope for the potential Chinese Imperialist.

1 Like

Taiwan can do a dam busters :grinning:

1 Like

Can their missiles now breach it? I thought they couldnā€™t.

1 Like

It would a Star Wars Death Star run.

1 Like

China says not even a tactical nuke would destroy it :rofl:
They also say no missiles can breach it. Taiwan has been working on this since 2010. They have been developing bunker busters. Not sure if ready yet, but they will definitely test them out for real in event of war. Like JD says , a star wars type mission on Battlestar Galactica.

1 Like

The wannabe rambos in this thread will be the first to leave the rock or they are not even on the rock to begin with. Thatā€™s my prediction anyway.

:smirk_cat:

2 Likes

Rambo was Army. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Oh no. They are quite effective on people. You can really ā€œreach out and touch someoneā€ from quite a distance.

Yeahā€¦the Steyr IWS 2000 is a pretty neat weapon and I really like how the barrel recoils when fired, but it is specifically made for armor busting and not against personnel. For me, here are the negatives for the IWS 2000.

1. Itā€™s bolt action, not semi-automatic.

2. Where do I get the magical custom made 15.2x169 mm sabot rounds with stabilizing fins that this weapon uses? Impossible. Also, using this round to kill one enemy combatant would be a complete waste of a fabulous weapon.

3. As far as I know, this weapon canā€™t be purchased by civilians. So, I would have to assume that you donā€™t actually have an IWS 2000.

The Barrett on the other hand is better and more useful:

1. Semi-automatic with a 5 or 10 round detachable magazine. Iā€™ve even seen the rare ā€œunicornā€ 12 round magazine, but I donā€™t have one.

2. It fires a standard .50 round that isnā€™t impossible to find.

3. It is not a crew-served weapon and does not need to be carried in teams. One person can handle it easily although itā€™s quite heavy and I donā€™t recommend trying to carry it on a sling for great distances. There is a nice carrying case which makes it easier.

4. The weapon has a huge buffer spring, so the recoil is hardly anything. Well engineered.

5. You would never want to use this from close range. You would absolutely want to be well camouflaged and take one shot from about 1,500 meters and then immediately move to another position before resetting up to take another shot. I would recommend one shot, one kill, put the weapon away and wait for another day to continue harassing the enemy.

6. Can be purchased by civilians in cool countries like the United States.

I stand on my choice of weapon.

2 Likes

Itā€™s allegedly not too far off from collapsing from its own weight. Which would obviously be horrific for everyone downstream, but does suggest it doesnā€™t need a massive push.

1 Like

Most combat engagements occur under 300 yards. So such a weapon is a one trick pony that is good for taking out high value targets from an extreme range. One mission to take out one target because the target is worth that much. Forget about carrying a secondary weapon other than a pistol, maybe a machine pistol like glock 18 which is inaccurate as hell and is a last ditch weapon. The sniper rifle is often used then destroyed and left there. You donā€™t want to carry all that weight on the way back especially when an entire brigade wants to kill you for killing their high value target (or tried to, depending on your skill level). Those 1 mile shot is more of a lucky hit as so many factors can throw you off, not all of which you can control.

338 lapua is so much lighter and is good for extreme range, and is not nearly as cumbersome compared to 50 cal. As for civilian use itā€™s obtainable with some states wanting to ban 50 cal because it feels good. 338 is also less likely to be restricted at shooting range too.

5.56 and 7.62 is plenty for everything else.

If they wanted to develop WMD they could easily go for ten other options first. The problem of using WMD is the next step is MAD.

1 Like

5.56 is not enough any more as has been seen Afghanistan, hence why 7.62 has been / is being reintroduced for some countries that served there.

The .338 however has done pretty well, wrt to 1 mile shots, yes they are more luck than anything else but out to 1km should be fairly routine.

2 Likes

In the event of all out war Taiwan will rain missiles onto any troop build ups on the mainland and definitely try to break the three gorges and any other dams within range. However, I do mean all out war not skirmishes, as there would be no turning back after that. Either the CCP would collapse or Taiwan would eventually be in rubbles.It would be hell on earth.

My god, you suck the fun out of fantasy. lol

The thing is, all of this is talktalktalk. If youā€™re not willing to walk into the fire zone aiming and squeezing

1 Like

You have to consider that ammo weights a lot considering theyā€™re lead, and lugging an ar10 plus 40 rounds of ammo is pretty tiring in 100 degree heat. This is in addition to 50 pounds of other crap a soldier has to carry. An ar15 and 120 rounds of ammo is lighter. This means more lead to throw at your enemies.

Michael Morell

• He is now Senior Counselor and the Global Chairman of the Geo-Political Risk Practice at [Beacon Global Strategies LLC]

Beacon Global Strategies LLC (BGS) is a Washington, DC-based strategic advisory firmā€¦
According to the firmā€™s website, Beacon Global Strategies specializes in matters of international policy, foreign affairs, national defense, cyber, intelligence, and homeland security.[4]

James Winnefeld:

He currently serves on the board of directors for Raytheon Technologies, one of the largest aerospace and defense companies in the world.

I donā€™t know what percent of adults of either gender are truly suitable for combatā€“I doubt that I amā€“but for all I know, which isnā€™t much, there may be women who would manage well in that sort of business. Hereā€™s one manā€™s report:

ā€“George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia

2 Likes