If the CCP invades, will you fight?

Just a thought. Ask her if she mostly gets her news from pro-China sources such as CtiTV / ChinaTimes group of media.

1 Like

When China invades I assume the TWD will become worthless. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see how it can be avoided.

The only currency that is not worthless is something you can pay your local taxes with. Everything else is just a temporary investment vehicle where you park your money to earn a return and eventually you’re gonna have to convert it back to your local currency to pay your taxes.

That’s my main concern too. Right now 100% of our assets are reliant on the Taiwan dollar or Taiwan economy. Definitely need to fix that

1 Like

Open a multi currency account. Or buy some gold. I think there’s some restrictions on carrying the later into/out of Taiwan, but when SHTF, no one in the airport will be checking?

If I were in Taipei I think I won’t be a spectator!

Funny wording in the title. Why “if the CCP invades”? Why not just “if China invades”? Would only the soldiers who are CCP party members invade Taiwan, but not the ones who haven’t joined the CCP? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But to answer the question, if CHINA invades Taiwan I would probably just move to Hong Kong. Here’s why:

The main battle would probably take place in Taiwan, but Taiwan would definitely bomb parts of China. Much less likely that they’d bomb Hong Kong.

Good luck with those skyrocketing food, gas and water prices in HK during an altercation.

1 Like

If China invades Taiwan, it will be WW3. The US and its Asian allies would likely get involved.

Taiwanese, Japanese, South Korean, American, and Australian bombs and missiles will be dropping over China.

Chinese (and perhaps North Korean) bombs and ICBMs will be dropping over Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Australia, Guam, Hawaii, perhaps even the Western United States.

If the war prolongs, then Russia may eventually get involved, which would get Canada involved. Perhaps India would also get involved, to weaken China from the west, which would get Pakistan involved.

Skyrocketing food and gas prices anywhere in the world will be the least of anybody’s concerns.

1 Like

You have a very active imagination.

5 Likes

I very seriously doubt that. No one wants war as little as China does. They’ll scamper away as soon as the lights come on. The first displays of Japanese military power should be enough to check them. God help them if the US military gets directly involved.

Imagine Marines on Kinmen! Oorah!

This is the most realistic scenario in the event of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan and subsequent American retaliation. You can bet your ass that the US would also force Japan, South Korea and Australia to join.

Of course, we can’t rule out the possibility that the Americans will just sit back and do nothing, which means the other counties will also do nothing, which means Taiwan will fall to China. But this possibility seems less and less likely now.

Of course, this is all assuming that China will invade Taiwan in the first place, which I doubt they ever will.

That is certainly a worst case scenario, though not an inevitability even if China and Taiwan are directly involved in a hot war. A Third World War would kill off a good chunk of the world’s population, especially if nukes are involved. Those that remain might envy the dead after the world economy is destroyed and people starve because crop yields fail or are disrupted across the world. Taiwan would be at the epicenter and be the first destroyed and get the worst of it, and Xi would be President of a cinder. Actually if the nukes are flying, then the US may shrug and say “fuck it” and just pick him off because maximum escalation has already been achieved.

1 Like

I agree. That’s why they haven’t invaded Taiwan yet, and why I don’t believe they ever will.

But the problem is, America wants war with China.

In any case, my answer was to a hypothetical question about a hypothetical scenario in which China is dumb enough to invade Taiwan, and as a result start WW3. Thank goodness they aren’t that dumb irl.

1 Like

I don’t think China wants a Third World War that will threaten their regime. OTOH I do think Xi is willing to throw hundreds of thousands of his poor village men to the meat grinder, as long as the bloodshed is kept (mostly) off Chinese shores. Xi, like Putin, doesn’t care as long as the pampered elite from Beijing/Moscow and Shanghai/St Petersburg are left unscathed, which is why Taiwan will need to bring the war to their doorstep if they want to survive.

I agree. But in the event of a war, it would be out of Xi’s control where the bloodshed happens — especially if the US and her Asian allies get involved — and he knows that. And that is ultimately why Xi doesn’t want war.

I hear you but I doubt that too. The US is transitioning to a post FF economy and it’s a hard sell. Funny how China is now buddies with Iran and Saudi Arabia. They are glomming on to the old world economy. That’s fine. They want to trade in RMB. That’s fine too. They trade about 3% of the worlds goods in RMB. Good for them.

The US wants an easy transition, but are finding it to be not very easy. The new cobalt mines in the PI might help, and the added presence of US military there will avert serious conflict. Maybe some boat bumping. We’ll see.

Just like the last two land wars the US fought in Asia. Pieces of cake that were over before you knew it. Might take a few weeks longer this time around though because China has upped its game a bit.

I seriously doubt this. China is not Iraq or even Iran. When the US rains hell on Afghanistan, Libya or Iraq, you can make the argument they’re testing new military tech or helping corrupt contractors get rich. A war with China would be so costly, it would put the US back 50 years even if we won. That’s why I’m not convinced America won’t chicken out and just support Taiwan from the sidelines like they do for Ukraine.

2 Likes

What’s FF?