If the CCP invades, will you fight?

My 2c below. I’m sure this will make many people rage.

If the CCP invades, I’ll be the first on a plane out. Hell, maybe I’ll go to China to finish my degree if I’m in the middle because it’ll likely be safer there than in Taiwan. Otherwise, as a foreigner, I don’t owe a foreign nation/state my life. In fact, I’m actually a hippy, and I don’t support any war with any nation unless it’s a fight to prevent genocide of existential proportions that could be the difference between total annihilation (e.g., no culture, no language, no history preserved, Terminator style). Those that want to fight should, and those that don’t want to, shouldn’t. Let them do some other supportive job instead. I’d take the latter, but only again in an existential crisis.

Taiwan going from its current state as an independent to a non-independent island won’t make any difference to the rest of the world. If Japan is so worried, America can go interfere to keep Japan safe. Taiwan itself is irrelevant. (And don’t talk about “TSMC” and how a war with China will somehow bring the world back to 8 bit processors and a technological dark age-- TSMC will be perfectly fine regardless of what happens IMO.) Taiwan’s aboriginals, children, and technology are worth more than the mainland occupiers, known as the KMT / splinter poser group known as the DPP, and their culture.

1 Like

Spain offered Civil War vets citizenship, so is Ukraine.

No passport, no Buck Rogers should be the response.

1 Like

Because Japan isn’t allowed to get involved in combat unless their homeland is threatened. But I assure you if it is they will fight like a rabid dog. Never fuck with them.

Yes but Japan actually stated that they view an invasion of Taiwan to be a threat to their homeland

1 Like

Because it is, cut off taiwan you cut Japan off from the world.

Japan hasn’t stated it will defend Taiwan if China attacks. The vast majority of Japanese people oppose joining the US to repel an invasion.

A full 80% of the 3,000 adults interviewed by the Asahi Shimbun daily newspaper recently expressed concern that Japan would become caught up in the conflict if Beijing were to attack Taiwan in an effort to unify it with the Chinese mainland.

Political analysts and members of the public from across Japan’s political spectrum said they were “not at all surprised” at the outcome of the poll.

It is widely expected that the US would go to Taiwan’s aid in the event of any such assault. The government in Tokyo, which is at present presiding over a massive increase in arms spending, has in the past stated that a Chinese invasion of the island would pose a critical threat to Japan too, as it would leave Beijing in control of the sea lanes used to transport 90% of the nation’s energy needs and 60% of its food supplies.

Tokyo has not explicitly stated that it would commit ground, air or maritime units to help fend off any Chinese attack; but soaring defense spending and the upgrading of Japan’s naval and air capabilities, in particular, indicate that the military is preparing itself.

Rear-echelon support for US forces only

The increased expenditure has triggered a domestic debate on what Japan’s role might be in a conflict, with 56% of those polled by Asahi saying that the Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) should be limited to providing rear-echelon support to US forces, such as assistance with fuel, food and medical aid, as well as logistics. Just 11% said the Japanese military should join forces with the US to repel the invasion.

People are generally opposed to war in times of relative peace. However, once war happens the nationalistic rhetoric gets pumped up and you generally see a sea change in opinion.

All you need is a little bit of media manipulation, and you can convince many to support a war until much later where it starts to go the other way (anti-war).

Good video but unfortunately much of his videos on the subject is earlier, and his presentation was not as good as the more recent videos, but it’s still good.

MP5 mags on sale for Memorial Day here.

I doubt that will be of much gain for CQ engagement in Xin Dian unfortunately.

I hope all goes well in Taiwan, although an invasion is hypothetical.

Stock up on essentials. Semper Paratus.

Better off just preparing for bombings, if china can land enough troops in taiwan to take it, guns aren’t going to do you much good.

Plan on a naval blockade, resulting in a food and supply shortage.

:beers:

Well, guns won’t help you there either.

As stated in my comment earlier. No CQ without a kitchen knife.

Plus any blockade will have to block Japan and Korea as well. If they only blocked traffic for taiwan but not Korea or Japan it will be a useless blockade, but I doubt those other countries are going to sit idly by either.

1 Like

I saw this discussion up the thread, and it makes a lot of sense. Would create an international issue.

There’s at least 5 different countries that stands to lose significantly if taiwan falls, and the geology of taiwan makes an invasion extremely high risk low reward venture, every other countries around taiwan is easier to take, and any rational invader would pincer taiwan in before taking taiwan.

There is no way to take taiwan without causing a global problem, not just an international incident. Every country around taiwan has vested interest in taiwans success.

Guns aren’t going to change that.

It’s the same as Switzerland, poor geology that favors the defender, and that all countries in Europe has vested interest in Switzerland, so no one dares to mess with them.

Do any of those countries regard Taiwan as a sovereign, independent country or do they officially follow a one-China policy.

Don’t matter, there’s like very few countries in the world that officially regard taiwan as an independent country, and they’re only that way because taiwan paid them.

Truth of the matter is, these countries have a vested interest in a free taiwan, even if their official stance says otherwise. Official stance is only a word game.

The One China policy is not the same as the One China Principle.

The One China Policy just simply means that only one China exists and only one China can have relations as China. It does not mean it takes a stance on Taiwan.

The One China Principle means that there is only one China, that is the People’s Republic of China, and that Taiwan is part of the People’s Republic of China.