If the CCP invades, will you fight?

Nobody will care. Foreigners cannot serve in the Taiwan military. If China does invade maybe all air services will have been stopped already. Maybe you could float away to Japan as the closest Japanese island is just off the east coast.

Yup that is what will happen to China.

this is a good point. Also, does anyone think China would stop at Taiwan?

hypothetically a Chinese invasion of South Korea carried out by PLA, North Korea, Russia would circumvent having to cross the Taiwan Strait to secure semi conductors or simply disrupt the Westā€™s supply of semiconductors while maintaining low grade chip production within China. quality wont matter as much when its more important to have any kind of supply.

It all depends on Chinaā€™s strategy.
A - does China want to take control of Taiwan production?
B - does China want to take control of Taiwan geography and the Taiwan Strait?
C - does China simply want to disrupt Western access to Taiwanese production giving China time to advance technologically beyond the rest of the world?

A and B are the most difficult options - they would incur heavy losses - the ā€œjuice might not be worth the squeeze.ā€

But C would be interesting for China because they donā€™t need to incur heavy losses ā€“ they instead engage in a Time Heist - stealing time away from the west. China basically steps in with a ā€œnuisanceā€ force just enough to disrupt the Western intake of technology from Taiwan. By forcing the west into a waiting game, China could keep production running at home, even on low end chips. The west would be caught with its pants down. The US/West for example is engaged in a Time Heist in Ukraine, engaging just enough to keep the conflict ongoing - stealing time from Chinaā€™s timeline for world domination.

A worst case scenario is if China then uses North Korean forces to create a disruption in South Korea as well. That would potentially put half of the worlds production on pause leaving China on a good trajectory for continuing local production and advancing it over time.

Then China simply waits it out to see if the west can catch up with domestic production in the US, etc but that could take years.

South Korea would be much easier for china to take, just train ride with north Koreaā€™s cooperation, cross the dmz and thatā€™s it. It would also set china up for taking Japan. Once Japan falls taiwan will follow suit.

But theyā€™ll have to deal with japanese suicide bombers. They absolutely will not surrender even if america told them to. You do not want to fight the japanese on their home turf.

1 Like

thatā€™s a legitimate concern ā€“ if Chinaā€™s gameplan is to initially distract with Taiwan invasion threats while planning an actual invasion of South Korea (with Taiwan being at the tail end of their strategy instead of at the forefront) then its all the more critical for Japan and South Korea to not only be ready to assist Taiwan but also be ready to confront China directly.

Remember last time china got involved in the Korean war they almost pushed Americans off the peninsula.

Do they still have a military of second sons and a desire to cull the herd? The Korean meat-grinder was a way to get rid of a lot of mouths to feed.

1 Like

Depends on who is interpreting this principle, no?

I believe Taiwanā€™s interpretation is that there is only one China: The ROC, and the uncontrolled territories of mainland China are part of it.

Thatā€™s the 1992 consensus

Isnā€™t the One China Principle in the 1992 consensus?

Thatā€™s not the One China Principle.

Taiwanā€™s policy is One China with Respective Interpretations äø€å€‹äø­åœ‹å„č‡Ŗč”Øčæ°

The One China Principle is a solely PRC policy. Itā€™s called äø€å€‹äø­åœ‹åŽŸå‰‡

The One China Policy is äø€å€‹äø­åœ‹ę”æē­–. This is the strategic ambiguity practised by other countries.

1 Like

Plenty of ā€œhoo-haā€ Americans and other foreigners will join in the same way that Taiwanese go volunteer in Ukraine.

I doubt that. Civilians have nothing to do with the military. If China starts killing foreigners, there will be WW3.

Float away meaning take a boat? Yeah, maybe thatā€™d be something Iā€™d do. This is only part of the reason why having as little connection to Taiwan is best. My children will have no Taiwanese passport if theyā€™re born here.

Russia is killing civilians and has been for decades. Donā€™t fool yourself that civilians are exempt from war. If a few foreigners die in a war China starts so be it. Taiwan doesnā€™t allow foreigners to hoo haa and volunteer such as in Ukraine. How many of them have combat or military experience anyway? Very few. Nobody cares if your children donā€™t have Taiwan passports if born here. Russia shot down a civilian flight over Ukraine so donā€™t think that civilian aircraft flying around Taiwan in a war could not be shot down. The US has also shot down civilian aircraft in the fog of war.

Welcome to the world of the bunker buster. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I might not even know the war has started they might bomb my ground station saying itā€™s a military target.

1 Like

Is your station broadcasting propaganda? If itā€™s just sports, then I donā€™t think itā€™s significant.

You have already been told itā€™s not just sports. But then again I do not understand Thai or Lao languages.

Youā€™re just running a data center? Not actually broadcasting to satellites? I seriously doubt you are much of a big target here, if someone wants you out of commission they will shoot at cht network infrastructure, not you as the network will shut everything down. You are not worth a 100,000 dollar missile.

Itā€™s moot because any disruption like this is going to be global, and china wonā€™t risk that. Taiwan connects like all of Asia to the western hemisphere.

My advise is backup everything, but if youā€™re running a competent data center then you are already doing that. Hardware is cheap compared to data.

either youā€™re with us, or against us. They were definitely pro nazi till money and loot flowed in. Then anti nazi when world opinion changed.
neutrality bs

1 Like

Then I guess Iā€™m against you. :man_shrugging:t2: And also against China because Iā€™m not with them either.

By your definition Iā€™m also against both the Red Sox AND the Yankees even though Iā€™ve spent exactly zero minutes in my life thinking about either of them.

I guess by your definition Iā€™m against everybody in the world, because Iā€™m not with anybody.

Except maybe cats. Iā€™m with cats.