If your country of origin were a food item, what would it be?

Looks like tartare sauce.

And you can go out to the back lane behind the fence and pick it fresh.

There was a story in my family that this one uncle of mine was engaged to this young lady and broke the whole thing off because he found out she used white sugar in her rhubarb cobbler (we call it cobbler, same same).

1 Like

:yum:

I used to cut a stalk in my grandmother’s yard and chew on it just because I liked the way it made my teeth feel. :crazy_face:

Even better, cause we’re CHEAP!

No bullshit, when I was little my gran used to tell stories about the Great Depression (no, not when Edward and Alex fired Mike Anthony, the OTHER Great Depression), and how there was this Relief program where people could go down to the Train Depot (real small town) and pick up, like food parcels and stuff. And she said she went down one time and they were giving out rhubarb. And she practically spat on the ground in the telling, first because everyone had rhubarb growing in their yard any :banana: ways, AND they weren’t giving out any sugar or anything, which made the 'barb pretty much inedible. She never went back.

1 Like

Man, we could hijack this thread with Dirty Thirties granny stories. Chokecherry ketchup, anyone?

artichoke

garlic

3 Likes

I’m guessing the Golden State…

1 Like

Ding Ding Ding!
Yup.

I’m imagining the smell in the air as you drive by Gilroy. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The etymology is “ad tempora quadragesima” in Latin when the Portuguese traders brought it to Japan. Hence the name Tempura, Japanese: 天ぷら Kanji: 天麩羅 and yes it was originally referred to all kind of batter-fried things.

The Japanese then brought tempura to Taiwan but the Taiwanese only took the name to refer only one particular kind of tempura, fried minced fish paste, a local rendition of the Japanese batter-fried cuisine. And Taiwanese people translated it differently. Some called it 甜不辣, literally “sweet not spicy,” in Mandarin because it sounds just like tempura but 甜不辣 is actually pronounced tian bu la in Mandarin.
On the other hand some chose to take the Kanji and pronounce it as Mandarin. Since Kanji is simplified old Chinese characters pronounce in old Hoklo ( official dialect of the Tang Dynasty ), Taiwanese people pronounced 天麩羅 or 天婦羅 as tian fu luo rather than what the Japanese would pronounce it.
It should be noted that both tian bu la and tian fu luo are not Taiwanese. They are Mandarin names that became popular at least after the ROC era. Before that Taiwanese folks just called it Tempura.

1 Like

A warm summer breeze would bring the garlic smell from Gilroy all the way to San Jose and into Santa Clara. There was a place you could stop on the drive to Gilroy, forgot the name of it, roadside place that sold apricots, peaches and garlic. Wonderful memories.

Edit: Casa De Fruita and Garlic World

2 Likes

Can artichokes be found in Taiwan?
Never noticed them anywhere.

I’ve long since abandoned California, but it’ll always hold a special place in my heart. I’ll never forget that smell, that’s for sure.

Another crop that I really miss, and doesn’t seem to taste the same anywhere else:

3 Likes

I see them sometimes at Jason or City Super…

https://jinhekang.com/商品/南投世寶農場─蔬菜之皇【朝鮮薊】熬夜者的首選/

There are farms where you can pre-order them and have them shipped to you.

1 Like

I think something was lost in the translation.

1 Like

Nah, the bread is a regular white loaf cut into quarters for a quarter bunny, or halves for half a bunny.

It’s just that the Taiwanese use the word to refer one specific kind of tempura only instead of all the batter-fried food. Don’t ask me why. My ancestors are weird.

Well, their taste in food anyway.

1 Like