If you're married, why not wear a wedding ring?

Forgive me for trying to impose my Western views in this thread, but I really don’t understand why the majority of married people I meet here don’t wear a wedding ring/ band. A wedding ring is a symbol of commitment to your spouse. It’s a way to nonverbally tell people, “Back off, I’m married.”
But when there’s no ring, there’s that awkwardness…is he married? Is she married?

Some people say that the ring is uncomfortable. I guess that can be true, but you can get used to it, like everything else. Glasses aren’t always comfortable, but people wear them anyway. Braces aren’t comfortable, but who wants crooked teeth? High heels are never comfortable, but women still wear them everywhere.

And I’ve had other people tell me flat out that they don’t want people to know they’re married. I guess it gives them permission to flirt freely. Hmmmmm…that’s a topic for another day.

I think it’s too bad that wedding rings aren’t as appreciated here. When I lived in the U.S. and got my diamond and wedding band, it was a big deal. Everyone looked at it. My friends commented on it. Men left me alone because they saw the ring.

But many men/ women here see a ring as merely an accessory…if they notice it at all! Some of them don’t even know which finger a wedding band goes on!

Call me old fashioned, but I still like to see a ring on the finger of a married man or a married woman.

A wedding ring is an artificial, culturally imposed phenomenon. Why should everyone in the world have to buy into that custom? :wink:

I have a wedding ring… somewhere. I can’t stand wearing the thing. Rings are girly things. Men wearing finger rings look effeminate to me. I think it might be an American thing, too, mainly – none of my male in-laws wear rings, nor does my father, and I was surprised when we bought my wife’s ring and it came as part of a pair. The Tiffany girl thought I was joking when I asked why the spare one was so much bigger.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]A wedding ring is an artificial, culturally imposed phenomenon. Why should everyone in the world have to buy into that custom? :wink:[/quote]Horseshit.
A wedding ring is visible sign of person’s decision to make a committment to their marriage. It is a symbol of the love they share.

I’m not saying that everyone has to wear a wedding ring…thats their personal decision and none of my damn business. But this PC description/new age of what a wedding ring is, is, IMO, just horseshit.

If you slip it off and stick it in your pocket , it’s easy to lose it when you strip your clothes off.

HG

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Dragonbones”]A wedding ring is an artificial, culturally imposed phenomenon. Why should everyone in the world have to buy into that custom? :wink:[/quote]Horseshit.
A wedding ring is visible sign of person’s decision to make a committment to their marriage. It is a symbol of the love they share.

I’m not saying that everyone has to wear a wedding ring…thats their personal decision and none of my damn business. But this PC description/new age of what a wedding ring is, is, IMO, just horseshit.[/quote]

I assumed his :wink: was intended to convey irony…giving the benefit of the doubt there.
Because, if not, well…ay caramba, boy.
Mrs. the chief can’t wear her diamond and wedding ring, she gets a Godawful rash under them.
I don’t think I could get mine off, I’ve probably removed it 2 times in 13 years.

Maybe it is an American thing, but it’s really the only outward symbol of your commitment to another person. That’s why I think it’s important.

You don’t need a wedding ring to tell that a man is married; the broken, all-hope-lost, waiting-to-die look of despair is more than enough.

I don’t wear one. Neither does my wife.

[quote]
I think it’s too bad that wedding rings aren’t as appreciated here.[/quote]

Why?

My wife barely wears jewelry. Just a necklace now and then.

I’m used to not wearing it. And giant barracudas bite shiny things. Being a diver, that would suck…not having fingers.

Tee Hee, surely this is a western phenomenom?(Sp?) I know that a simple gold band is cheap and many people do wear them because of (American) movies etc. but then there is the question of which hand to wear them on etc etc.

When I was married I found that a lot of women found the ring a challenge, I had far more propositions after marriage than i did before. I am told that this is because men who are willing to settle down, wear a ring etc are what many women are looking for hence if you prove that is what you want then you become more attractive…even though presumably if you took the bait you would no longer be attractive to the same women.

Aiya I’ll never understand it all but I figure if you want to wear one do, and if you don’t, don’t. Its as simple as that, and surely its time we stopped imposing our cultural values on the whole world? I mean if some cute married girl wants to get it on…why not?

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks for that, I’m going to start wearing mine now.

HG

[quote]A wedding ring is a symbol of commitment to your spouse. It’s a way to nonverbally tell people, “Back off, I’m married.”
But when there’s no ring, there’s that awkwardness…is he married? Is she married? [/quote]

Why would this matter? Where are you hanging out?

[quote=“Gym Rat”]Some of them don’t even know which finger a wedding band goes on!
[/quote]

I’m curious, Gym Rat… which finger is the “international” correct one? You might be surprised to know it’s not the same in all countries.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Dragonbones”]A wedding ring is an artificial, culturally imposed phenomenon. Why should everyone in the world have to buy into that custom? :wink:[/quote]Horseshit.

I’m not saying that everyone has to wear a wedding ring…thats their personal decision and none of my damn business. But this PC description/new age of what a wedding ring is, is, IMO, just horseshit.[/quote]

Fine, it’s a visible sign, but a sign which is given meaning by culture. The OP did appear to be saying that everyone should wear the ring, and I’m pointing out that that perspective is culture-centric. I don’t feel bound by that cultural symbolism. Why is that horseshit? :s I respect your feelings about the issue, so why can’t you respect mine without such rudeness? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wearing a wedding ring decreases the likelihood of pretty girls flirting with you. :wink: :slight_smile:

Horsehit.

:laughing:

[quote]
I respect your feelings about the issue, so why can’t you respect mine without such rudeness? Sticking my tongue out…[/quote]

He’s ot rude DB, he’s Taxan.

hilarious!

I thought topic might get some people riled up.

And, of course, I know that the ring has to come off at times. I’m an athlete myself. I don’t wear it when I play basketball, tennis, etc. But I do wear it when I’m out and about, because I want men to know where I stand.

Enough said. I’m lacking in wit and creativity today. I’ll just continue to be amused at what everyone else is saying. :wink:

Thanks for that, I’m going to start wearing mine now.

HG[/quote]

HG, bear in mind I said “when” I was married…I am not anymore. You have been warned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Taxan? TainanCowboy? Whodathunkit? :slight_smile: