Ignorant Americans at their best

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]
There’s actually pretty good evidence that it was by a Kiwi named Richard Pearse. However, he apparently gave up on it after others started getting attention for their work; his own secretiveness worked against him, leaving his work largely unknown.

ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/pearse1.html[/quote]

Well, they were the first to gain official recognizion, and that’s the point.

However, what’s important to keep in mind is that such inventions are made more or less collectively, IE that say the Wright brothers knew what was going on and what was most feasible from the results of people having researched flying beforehand, people like Otto Lillienthal (Sorry, spelling), and others, such as Dumont.

No-one worked “out of the blue” as such, they all had an idea of what the others were doing, and incorporated the results into their own. After all, all research always stands on the shoulders of the people going before them.

the Wright brothers were just lucky enough to be the first one who were able to publish and gain publicity for their results. Also they were the first ones to be able to show proof of their feat, something the kiwi guy didn’t.

I think your explanation is a little naive, Tempo Gain. Nations are motivated by many forces, national security, economic self-interest, etc. The kindness of their hearts is probably only an ancillary factor.

As for your “big waves” hypothesis :loco: , well I think you are underestimating the advances that have been made in boatbuilding in recent years. While the waves might be a problem for some of their smaller inflatable craft, I’m sure the Chinese navy has ships that could handle the waves.

Your analysis also leaves out important humanitarian and geopolitical factors. The possibility of civilian casualties, for example, is likely an important concern. At the end of the day, though, I suspect that the PRC’s main obstacle is a lack of confidence on their part that they could get the world support they would need, and of course the requisite resolution from the UN Security Council authorizing them to invade.

[quote=“Hobbes”]
Your analysis also leaves out important humanitarian and geopolitical factors. The possibility of civilian casualties, for example, is likely an important concern. At the end of the day, though, I suspect that the PRC’s main obstacle is a lack of confidence on their part that they could get the world support they would need, and of course the requisite resolution from the UN Security Council authorizing them to invade.[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo: :laughing: :bravo:

:notworthy:

WTF? D00d, I’m already here. And I haven’t fucked up, or in any other direction, yet. :blush: Now, “big”, there you may have something. . . .

[quote]Let’s see. The UK didn’t repay the US for the loans and aid in either WWI or WWII. And you’ll never pay for the Americans who died defending your little rock in the Atlantic. I think we’ve paid quite enough for our “special relationship”. More than enough.
[/quote]

So what comes around, goes around.

So we can expect some payment for Iraq then?

(at least give us some contracts).

And whilst on the subject of inventions (esp life altering) in the last century or so, lets see important inventions the US didn’t invent:

Computers
CD’s and CD players
Radar
Wireless communications
Telephones (although invented in the US)
The jet engine
that new pulse jet engine thingy
Your very own carrier decks

And before the 21st:

Radio
trains
cars
cameras
engines
Penicillin. (Discovered really).

That leaves TV, controlled powered flight (which is disputeable) and helicopters and the nuclear bomb (which changed the lives of many by ending them).

[quote=“Dangermouse”]So we can expect some payment for Iraq then?

(at least give us some contracts).[/quote]

Is the UK currently not getting any of the Iraq contracts? This is not a flame/sarcastic response – I have honestly just not read anything about this. Does anyone happen to know?

If you lived in the Dark Ages, and you were a catapult operator, I bet the most common question people would ask is, ‘Can’t you make it shoot farther?’ No. I’m sorry. That’s as far as it shoots.

To be honest I dont actually know, but I havn’t heard of any major ones being dished out.

I was actually using it as a tongue in cheek pivot against our comrade here, but to be truthful I’m not sure.

TV - John Logie Baird, Scottish
Helicopter - Da Vinci, first fully controllable helicopter - Hanna Reitsch, German

And we invented America.

Wow. You appear hate the English as much as the most out and out republicans I have met in Ireland. Interesting. How widespread is this in the States?

Well it wouldn’t be the first time. However don’t underestimate the waves; the Chinese aversion to swimming is well known. I understand the US Navy and Air Force have long had a free course planned out as part of inter-military cooperation. You know the Chinese; they would never just say no to something like that to your face.

Any relation to Avril Lavigne?

Like hell. 54-40 or fight! We shall retake the northern wastelands! Death to the baconistas! :fume:[/quote]

What ever!!!
Few could argue that this is North America’s true future!!!

Run for the hills hillbilly scum!!!

:canada:

Besides, even if those hipocritical Bush bandits were to get passed our punkass military, they could never stand a chance against the RCMP.
Those guys are like, REALLY LOCOMAN!!! :shocker:

C’mon Canuckleheads !..is this the best you people can do? Loosen those toques and pop a few more Molsens…maybe a bit of Yukon Jack. Lets see some real insults…no more of this half-assed crap !

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Loosen those toques and pop a few more Molsens…[/quote]That reminds me, anyone know where you can buy a case of high test? :wink:

Ann Coulter is one hot Mama!!!

She has been the inspiration of many an early morning dream.

When I make love to her it consists mainly of verbal S&M.
It starts off innocently enough with some playful right wing banter,

Ann:“Canadians are just a bunch of red-neck, bilingual hosers… and what about those limp-wristed Liberal loons…”

Canucklehead:“Oh baby…don’t stop…I’m feeling the pain…keep it coming, bitch.”

Ann: “If I was President I would invade that sorry excuse of a country for the simple pleasure of harpooning everyone who isn’t a cowboy.”

Canucklehead:" What…you mean harpoon like this? Mmmmmm…how would you invade? Fast or slow? Would you plunge deep into the heart of the vag…nation?

Ann:" I would start by sucking you dry. Oil, water, electricity…hummph…"

Canucklehead:" Ah, yes, you do it so well."

Ann:" gurgle…sputter…gurlge…gulp"

Canucklehead: " Right, OK, well I’m done and you’re boring me. I think you should go home."

Canucklehead:(to himself) “I knew that trap had to good for something…American chicks are sooo easy.”

Man, Bubbles, have you been into Ricky’s stash again?

Frost,

Your signature states:

I disagree.

I think that without Evil, we might have difficulty recognizing Good.

But, I think Good can exist even in the absence of Evil.

[quote=“Tigerman”]Frost,

Your signature states:

I disagree.

I think that without Evil, we might have difficulty recognizing Good.

But, I think Good can exist even in the absence of Evil.[/quote]

Not even a hint of whimsy.

My dear Canadian friends…

Please realize that when the body is deprived of certain nutriants such as carbohydrates, as seen in the case of Ann Coulter’s case, a person’s brain doesn’t function as strong as it could. So, if you found Ms. Coulter’s opinions to be offensive or representive of the American public, remember we are going thru a very harsh period now, caused by the shortage of Carbohydrates in our country. Please feel free to send sustance. :help: :help:

America bashing is the in thing nowadays. A bad president shouldn’t reflect the whole country. Hate the government, not the soil. I don’t like Bush, but when I read about him telling China to lay off on the missiles, there is 1% of my body that beams with love for the man.