I'll Say it...TAIWAN GREW ON ME!

My time here is nearly up. Though in my heart I knew this was a temporary stay, after two years, this country has grown on me…I like walking to convenience stores in my pjs, I like being able to buy oily food cheaply, I like the bright lights at night, I like walking into a store that has freezing ac when it’s fakkin hot out. I like having silly conversations about stuff with the laobans while they’re making my breakfast or coffee.

But deep down, I must leave this place because of my commitment to myself. I need to get back to my bitches and hoes in Vancouver. I need to eat at nice seafood restaurants that serve raw oysters, I need good looking waiters to serve me, I need to drive a car once again, I miss the crisp air, my cats need to run on the lawn again, I need to be the yuppie that I am driving an SUV, eating organic shit, rollerblading along the seawall.

I just have to say I really will miss this place. I was THIS close to extending my stay for another few months but if I keep doing that I’ll never leave, and I don’t want to procrastinate the next chapter of my life any further. It’s been a great two years. But man, it’s hard thinking about leaving this island!

And you’ve grown on me, buddy! :cry:

Like a canker sore.

Like a toe fungus.

Like a blood-sucking parasite.

Sad to hear you’re leaving! Wish you only the best!!

So it was YOU who gave it to me?! :fume:

Geez… an STD would have been nicer. Easier to cure at least. :unamused:

i said all that after two years too (even the seawall bit, being from greater van.), and here i am six more years later.

i miss that stuff too, and do actually have a plan to get back to it. the arrival of the boy one year ago will also push us home sooner rather than later.

anyways - never met ya, but enjoy the remains of your time here, and enjoy going back. there’s good in both places … :sunglasses:

I’ve been telling myself for 15 years that this is my last year here…

You can’t leave.

All the plants will die.

:rainbow:

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. I think I’m having a panic attack…

[quote=“jdsmith”]You can’t leave.

All the plants will die.[/quote]
Oh, oh… 914, isn’t this the sweetest thing anyone’s ever said?! It’s soooo sweet! You’re a poet, jdsmith! :slight_smile:

What she said. :cry:
Just make sure your new place has a nice guest room. Ocean view, please.

All the plants will die.

:rainbow:[/quote]

Man, every now and then…

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

All the plants will die.

Ahhh…man…I was going to post something like “Don’t refer to my friends as vegetation!” but on second thought, I’d have to say jdsmith, that was one fothermuckin’ foine loine.

914ster

In that case I want to be remembered as broccoli. Either raw or half-cooked with just some olive oil on it.

Sandman should be a celery and IrishStu… obviously a potato. Sorry.

Herhu is some kind of a Erb.

[quote=“tash”]In that case I want to be remembered as broccoli. Either raw or half-cooked with just some olive oil on it.

Herhu is some kind of a Erb.[/quote]
Another awesome one liner. Man, I knew it was the right decision to post this thread today.

I’ll name my first born after you and sandman, tash. S/he’ll be…Sasha? Tandy? Ta’shand?

Well, folks ought to be where they want to be.

Some of us are lucky to be able to make that choice. Kinda nice, isn’t it?

Best wishes for smooth landing.

[quote=“tash”]In that case I want to be remembered as broccoli. Either raw or half-cooked with just some olive oil on it.

Herhu is some kind of a Erb.[/quote]

What’s to apologise for? Potatoes are the best vegetable, nay, FOOD in the whole wide world… EVER!

Oh and, 914, I’ll miss you, but not in a ghey way you understand.

Well, it must be nice to leave Taiwan with good memories and no regrets. As many others have said, one

May you live long and prosper like so much toilet paper.

[quote=“914”][quote=“jdsmith”]You can’t leave.

All the plants will die.

Ahhh…man…I was going to post something like “Don’t refer to my friends as vegetation!” but on second thought, I’d have to say jdsmith, that was one fothermuckin’ foine loine.

914ster[/quote]

Despite only meeting you a few times, 914, you have made a lasting impression, and not just because you were photographed handing out beer and smokes to my son last summer.

You are a truly nice and caring person, with a sailor’s vocabulary, and that is not an easy combination to make work. But you do it well.

Peace and have a safe trip.

jds

:slight_smile: