I'm rudderless

What do you think?

• You need a rest. Take a vacation, you’ll feel better.
  • Invest the money. Opportunities like Enron don’t come along every day.
  • Finish your degree, teach at a university.
  • Party until the money’s gone, and you wake up face down in a ditch with no idea where you are or how you got there.
  • Is that you derek1978?

0 voters

I’ve been in Taiwan almost 2 years. I came with the puropose of making enough money to finance the home renovations so desparately needed to get the marital home sold, so the ex-wife and I can finally get out of each other’s lives.

Mission accomplished. The house is sold, the debts paid off, the rest of the home equity is in the bank. Now what? I have no goal now, no purpose, I’m simply here. Although I like the buxiban I’m at now, I can’t see me continuing as an edutainer for much longer.

So what you’re saying is that your life is too simple/easy?

Wanna swap? :wink:

Go off, do something you really love. See what opportunities arise.

TSC

You’ve done all the hard bits. Now move to Taipei where you can have some fun but keep saving some money. give yourself a year or two to find some direction and if it doesn’t happen head home for a serious career.

Took me about 5 years post divorce to get my head straight and another year to sort the finances out. Nearly got married again in the interim but thankfully didn’t as it would have been too soon. Just take your time and enjoy yourself but with one eye on the future.

You’ll be fine.

[quote=“irishstu”]So what you’re saying is that your life is too simple/easy?

Wanna swap? :wink:[/quote]

I like the simple life, Hell I’d love to spend the rest of my life on a beach in Phuket. But the mind demands stimulation.

Invest. Enjoy. Smile like you know a secret.

Been there, done that. Apart from the really hot days here when I long for a Canadian winter, I have no desire to go home. I miss my dogs, my friends, and my family (in that order!), but I don’t miss Canada. I had a serious career, the stress nearly killed me. I’m burnt out because of it.

Yeah, I’m not in any hurry to repeat the experience.

To recapture the direction you just lost, I recommend marrying again, obtaining some shared property and then divorcing in a manner that requires you to work your butt off for a while before finally being done with the lass-just like what you did recently.

What kind of work are you interested in? Are you thinking of staying in Taiwan for your future, or do you want to pack it back to Canada?

Make sure you get them Weddin’ pictures…

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]To recapture the direction you just lost, I recommend marrying again, obtaining some shared property and then divorcing in a manner that requires you to work your butt off for a while before finally being done with the lass-just like what you did recently.

What kind of work are you interested in? Are you thinking of staying in Taiwan for your future, or do you want to pack it back to Canada?[/quote]

Ummm…maybe you should read my last post. The one just above yours. :slight_smile:

Time for some new goals then. Maybe your new goals should point in the direction of some beach space on Phuket (and finding enough things to keep the mind aptly titillated while there.)

Mabybe some physical goals: the splits, 100 pushups, a 4 minute mile, become a juggling ninja

There’s no end to knowledge things to keep busy: learning linux, mastering Mandarin/Taiwanese/Hakka/Japanese/[insert language] of choice, get into photography, figure out string theory

I have a pretty good list of long and short term goals. When ever it gets low I know it’s time to fill it up again. I don’t even actually want to complete EVERYTHING on my list. The fun part is working on the stuff, not the actual obtaining (usually.)

One goal I do look forward to crossing off is figuring out how to not work more than 3 hours a day.

Isn’t that one from your family album, TC?

Atsa’ good lookin’ dawg…ain’t it?

He’s got a purdy mouth.

[quote=“miltownkid”] Maybe some physical goals: the splits, 100 pushups, a 4 minute mile, become a juggling ninja[/quote]I’ve started an exercise program. Bicycle into Taichung, work out at the gym for an hour, then bike it back to Cin Shuei, 4 times per week. I’m up to 100 sit ups. Pushups? Not with my shoulder. 4 minute mile? Not with my knee.

[quote=“miltownkid”]There’s no end to knowledge things to keep busy: …mastering Mandarin/Taiwanese/Hakka/Japanese/[insert language] of choice[/quote] I’d like to learn Old English. Is there a university in Taiwan that offers it?

[quote=“miltownkid”]I have a pretty good list of long and short term goals. When ever it gets low I know it’s time to fill it up again. [/quote] I’m too lazy to make a list. Can I have yours?

[quote=“miltownkid”]One goal I do look forward to crossing off is figuring out how to not work more than 3 hours a day.[/quote] Once you send me your list, I’ll cross it off.

I could teach you about Chaucer but you probably wouldn’t thank me for it.

Man, you are free now, is that not right? With not much to tie you down to anything much at all? Forget about however old you may think you are, try to think where you would like to go first, and what you would like to do there. Save up some cash and move to that place (wherever it may be) which you never got around to checking out. Or go back and check out some place from your childhood. Or pick up some craft that you fiddled with in the past, learn it again. Or learn a whole new one…

The point being, it’s up to you. The opportunity is yours to choose. Now that you have some freedom, I would advise doing something for yourself. You can do anything, you just have to look inside yourself for a while.

That, and listen to this song at top volume. Belt out the lyrics. You’ll feel better.

[quote] [color=indigo]CAT STEVENS: “If you want to sing out, sing out”[/color]
Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
And if you want to be free, be free
'Cause there’s a million things to be
You know that there are

And if you want to live high, live high
And if you want to live low, live low
'Cause there’s a million ways to go
You know that there are

You can do what you want
The opportunity’s on
And if you can find a new way
You can do it today
You can make it all true
And you can make it undo
you see ah ah ah
its easy ah ah ah
You only need to know

Well if you want to say yes, say yes
And if you want to say no, say no
'Cause there’s a million ways to go
You know that there are

And if you want to be me, be me
And if you want to be you, be you
'Cause there’s a million things to do
You know that there are

Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
And if you want to be free, be free
'Cause there’s a million things to be
You know that there are[/quote]

[i]“BUGGER ALL!”[/i] <— Olde Englishe

What kind of loser looks for answers on the internet? :slight_smile: Everyone one knows that they can be found at the bottom of a bottle.

…oh wait… :saywhat: … :rant: :fume: :grrr: