In-laws are nuts (RANT)

I am spending a month and a bit at my in-laws’ house to get to know the country and the family of my girlfriend, with whom I have been with for 4 years.

At the time of buying the flight I did not want to stay so long, but the girl insisted and I ended up accepting, a little reluctantly. She has come to my house countless times for Christmas, Easter, long weekends… and my parents have treated her wonderfully. They are fond of her and consider her as a daughter practically. And, of course, they have NEVER run her down, nor have they ever disparaged her.

It turns out that, being here, I have been noticing certain behaviors from my in-laws that upset me, especially from my mother-in-law. The ***** constantly reproaches me for anything I do BEHIND MY BACK. She tells my girlfriend about it and then my girlfriend tells me about it.

At first, I put this whole thing down to cultural differences. For example, when I say good morning to them, they don’t even look me in the face and respond in a very cold and brusque, curt way, almost as if they don’t want to answer me.

“Cultural differences,” I said to myself.

Here are some more examples of some of my in-laws’ jewels:

-The mother, from time to time, gives me murderous, menacing looks out of nowhere. I’ve never caught her, but my girlfriend tells me about it afterwards.

-One day we arrived home a little late (at 10.30 p.m. LOL) and, as the father was already in bed, so when we entered the door I greeted him with a gesture, just like my girlfriend did. Well, mother-in-law then told my girlfriend that it was very rude not to say anything to her.

-My girlfriend touches my face a little and displays and shows affection, she shakes my hand, etc. As you can see, nothing exaggerated. Well, my in-laws also throw it in her face. What are we even doing if we are not married and that all that is because of me, that I influence her.

-When I take a shower, I whistle from time to time. On stepping out of the bathroom, my girlfriend tells me that her parents are very angry because whistling attracts spirits (I ignored this back then).

Now I understand when my girl told me that her parents and her sister were constantly at odds with each other because the former are constantly criticizing her husband -who is a Taiwanese-. Normal. What a crazy duo.

I don’t get it at all. I help out by cleaning dishes, the house, offering to help them with everything and what I receive is this. My girlfriend is also pissed off and doesn’t understand why they treat me like this.

Anyway, thank God I’m leaving tomorrow.

5 Likes

Don’t take it personally, man.

It sounds like you’ve met some superstitious, gossipy, toxic folks. Put otherwise, pretty much par for the course. lol

My advice to you is to stay sincere and on the level, and to make sure your partner is on your side. She’s likely mortified (if not surprised) by what’s happening.

Other forumosans such as the venerable @Brianjones or @lostinasia may have more concete and practical suggestions than what I can offer.

In any case, give yourself a break, as I’m sure you did your best.

Guy

8 Likes

Thanks for your comment, man, really. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pee on the seat in the bathroom, make barking sounds, and keep winking at the mother in law.

7 Likes

If you are not going to be living in Taiwan long term and are just here for a trip then it isn’t a big deal. Take it as a learning experience, next time you come let your gf stay for the month, and you just stay for a week or something. If you are going to be moving here and have to deal with them frequently it might be a more serious problem.

But yea, due to filial piety they are going to do whatever and talk whatever shit they like and your gf ain’t going to say shit back to them and probably won’t even back you up.

My first GFs parents were the criticizing type. They thought it was their place to tell me what to do or offer their shitty opinions. I just stopped going to their place. Luckily my current gfs parents are much nicer.

2 Likes

Yeah, that must be the solution… Glad you’re doing better now.

They’re not your in-laws yet. You still have a chance to escape.

10 Likes

That’s why in Chinese society, we only visit inlaws one day on Chinese New Year.

Three days are max. More than that, shit starts coming out, the guess no longer a guess.

13 Likes

and you also don’t whistle during ghost month :whistle:

5 Likes

Just do dinners. Pick up the check once in awhile. Win win

3 Likes

If you really want to piss off a traditional family in Taiwan, keep on eating everything in the fruit bowl.

5 Likes

Time to move out and live in your own place.

He’s visiting.

1 Like

He could go on a tour around the island with the GF and take a break from her parents.

4 Likes

His visit is over, I believe.

I’d never do that. Of course they will offer their place, just don’t accept. There’s zero upside.

4 Likes

While sitting at the dinner table or in the living room with them, just pick your nose, your teeth, fart, burp, and clear your throat as loudly as possible. Furthermore, don’t lift a finger in the house. Let the women do all the work and make sure to play video games on your phone with the volume turned up while everyone is eating. You’ll have no problems fitting in and will be accepted with open and loving arms.

To piss them off though, keep on whistling, help around the house, stick your chopsticks into your rice bowl (straight up), and on special occasions give them a white envelope with little flowers on the edges. These acts will surely encourage (on their part) frequent visits to their local temples to put curses on you and your relationship with their daughter.

Good luck and “May The Force Be With You”. I’d be tempted to say, “live long and prosperous”, but with these kind of in-laws your life expectancy is rapidly dwindling.

6 Likes

12 Likes

No need to give those folks so much power. They are living their lives their way, not in a way I would choose, and not in a way the original poster would choose. We find our own paths forward . . .

Guy

1 Like
2 Likes

I should add that I wanted to rip my eyeballs out as I read this passage. :joy:

Guy

6 Likes