In Taiwan, is it common for people to take leave after they have given their notice to resign?

I’m required to give 20 days of notice when resigning. Do people use up their annual leave during their last few days on the job?

I guess it depends on what you agree with the employer, but it’s in the Labor Standards Act that they have to pay you if you don’t use it (Article 38).

1 Like

It’s quite common yes. That’s how you know someone has quit. They suddenly go on holiday for no reason.

1 Like

Do you mean the employer will generally ask you?

I mean that you presumably need to come to an arrangement with your employer about when you’ll leave, like with any other job, and you would bring it up at this time because you have paid leave outstanding that they’re legally required to pay you for if you don’t use it. Beyond that it would depend on what you and the employer want.

1 Like

so usually employers won’t really care as the employee is already leaving right?

Yes. You are leaving anyway so why not use up all the leaves?

Some prefer the payout.

Edit: and some employers might prefer you take the payout, since they may need you to do your job during those days while they look for a replacement. Unless you’re burning that bridge completely and never asking them for a recommendation, you probably want to help them out.

4 Likes

That’s true. However, at this point, I’m more focused on the year-end bonus and the severance pay as they are both worth a lot more.

well, the manager could’ve been more tactful and polite when trying to force me out of the company, but he chose not to. He thought that humiliating me would cause me to resign immediately. I’m not sure I really care about maintaining a relationship with this company after leaving for good.

You can refer to this thread.

My manager told me that I rarely socialize with my co-workers and displays other weird behavior - Work / Working in Taiwan - Forumosa

If the days off are worth more to you than the cash from them, and if the boss doesn’t mind letting you go (or you don’t care if they mind), then might as well take them.

1 Like

As I said, the year-end bonus and severance pay are worth a lot more.

Understood. That’s not the question, though, since you’re getting those anyway. The question is whether the pay from the leave days is worth more to you than not having to work those days. If it’s not, and since you don’t seem to care if you burn the bridge with the boss, then it makes sense to use the leave, right?

I’m not planning to use all of my leave. I currently have 9 days & 3 hours. I plan to use about half of it.

So you can just get paid for the rest - what’s the issue?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure what your question is. You’ve already decided what you’re doing. You’re just asking if others have also done it?

1 Like

I was just curious as to how frequently it is done here in Taiwan?

Seems to be common enough. I’ve had former coworkers do it. It comes down to personal circumstances and agreement with employer.

1 Like

At my company people who have left recently have done this. Seems normal.

2 Likes

My manager quit. She had like twenty vacation days so she was basically gone the next day.

2 Likes