In Taiwan, sliced bread that has not been toasted or roasted is still called "吐司" or "toast"

“Toast” refers to sliced bread that has been toasted or roasted, not just any type of sliced bread. However, in Taiwan, sliced bread is labelled as “toast” in bakeries.

2 Likes

Don’t apply logic to their luoji

6 Likes

There’s toast, and then there’s toasted toast. It makes sense…I promise.

8 Likes

I was told that it was a matter of technicalities. However, the dictionary defines toast to mean bread that has been toasted or roasted.

A: Say “toast” ten times.
B: “Toast,” “toast,” “toast,”…
A: What do you put in a toaster?
B: Toast.

I remember this working really well when I was a kid. I guess the joke would be lost here in Taiwan.

6 Likes

You looked it up? I could have told you that (Maybe not the roasted part. Who the hell roasts toast, I mean, bread to become toast?).

1 Like

I looked it up when I was an 8-year old who moved to the US and had to learn English from scratch.

1 Like

烤土司 = toast.
土司 = cut bread.

Toasted toast = toast. Not confusing at all.

In bakeries in Taiwan, sliced bread is labelled as “toast”, even when it has not been roasted or toasted.

This also works when proposing.

A: Say “yes” ten times fast
B: yes (*10)
A: Will you marry me?
B: yes

2 Likes

So you are saying that we should only label the roasted toasted toast as toast?
I like the cut of your jib.

Sliced bread is the best thing since toast.

5 Likes

Well technically it has been roasted once otherwise it would be dough!

4 Likes

Nitpicking. Don’t see anything wrong. The bread is implied. Same thing in English when we say baguette, focaccia, brioche, rye, etc.

Its been baked…in a bakery.

But you have a point. Maybe we should give toast its correct technical name = baked roasted toasted toast.

Available with two toppings, fluorescent fake jam or palm oil laden fake peanut butter.

6 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

See also …

Also here:

2 Likes

1 Like