In Taiwan, sliced bread that has not been toasted or roasted is still called "吐司" or "toast"

Meh. Common usage in the rest of the world. Bread used to make toast is called toast bread then shortened to just toast. Lots of Europeans do it too.

If we care about origin of a word then all language will fall apart. Especially one like English where most words are borrowed.

Edit: Reminds me of this great video

2 Likes

Not toasted toast.

Not toasted ‘Wonder Texas toast’

Not toasted ‘Hotel toast’

1 Like

I read the word toast a lot in this thread and now the word doesn’t make any sense.

The spelling looks crazy.

I think there’s toast and then there’s pre-toast. All bread can potentially end up as toast. No toast can ever be bread again. Sadness. Spare a thought for the tragedy that toast endures.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly, back home this spongy white thing is not even considered a real bread :smiley:
We also call it “toast bread” to clearly distinguish its purpose, and nobody is using it to make “cold” sandwiches or anything beside “toast”

I’m not jumping on the bread/toast controversy until they fix the marshmallow (棉花糖) / cotton candy (棉花糖) dilemma :notlistening:

2 Likes

….rat (老鼠) and mouse (老鼠).

1 Like

No! It’s shortened to just “bread”!

“Toast” is an English word, and also where 吐司 comes from. Do Europeans have any authority on the English language?

3 Likes

A simple bite test will clear up any confusion.

In Italy we call toast bread pan carrè, which when toasted becomes a toast. Or even pane in cassetta

2 Likes

No one has any authority over any language. That’s early 20th century linguistics. Doesn’t work. People speak the way they want to speak. The only goal is efficient communication nothing else matters.

And also toast bread.

Il pancarré , dal francese pain carré (lett. pane quadrato ), detto anche pane in cassetta , pan bauletto , pane da sandwich , pane da tramezzini , pane da toast.

Boh, in Piemonte we only really use pan carrè

Absolute madness.

hong kong style toast. :face_with_peeking_eye:

This is one of my pet peeves in Taiwanese chinglish. It’s up there with calling any type of sandwich on a bun a “burger.”

4 Likes

Okay who wants to go first?

1 Like

Yes, but they don’t shorten it to “toast” which is the main problem. Calling it toast bread is fine.

2 Likes

Well the Taiwanese certainly messed that one up, confusing bread with toast.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s toast. Because it’s…

actually been toasted.

2 Likes

Is that legally binding? :thinking:

In this case, it appears to be used for marketing purposes.