India in the fall?

I’m thinking of visiting India in the fall…perhaps September or October. I’d be flying into Delhi.

I’m thinking of spending 9 days there, including day of arrival and departure.

Question 1: In such a time frame, is Delhi -> Agra -> Jaipur -> Delhi feasible? Or should I take more time off?

Question 2: How is the weather that time of year in that area?

Places on the top of my list include the Taj Mahal (of course) and the Palace of Winds in Jaipur.

Yes to all. Its feasible, OK weather and Icon just went there last Oct. Look for India for beginners thread. Yeah nine days is doable. The palace of winds is OK. The forts in Jaipur are astounding!!!

We took 10 days and did more or less the same itinerary but added Varanasi (Benaras). However, we took a couple of flights to make it faster. And one overnight train.

I’d like to go back to Jaipur. It was really pretty.

Thanks! I looked at the India for Beginners thread, and it was very informative.

Seems some people don’t like Agra, but I’ve been wanting to see the Taj Mahal all my life, and while there I’d also like to see the Red Fort and the European cemetery where the so-called Red Taj (a tomb to an 18th century British businessman) is located.

Udaipur is in the loop too, but you may want to check to see if the water level in lakes is up by then.Many on tripadvisor did not like Agra, but I’m glad we did it anyway, even with the 4 hrs drive from Delhi. Do note that one could tour the Taj in the evening, but tickets must be arranged 24hrs prior.

Chris, I would be interested in joining you. I’ll be done with all my projects by mid-Sept and eager to get away. Of course why I need to post this on a public forum is a mystery. Talk to you over the holidays. :laughing:

Can I join you too?? Oh wait, Ill already be there :smiley:

That’d be great! Will you be back in town over the holidays?

Sounds good, but don’t expect too much from the Palace of Winds in Jaipur. It’s all a facade. No, seriously, it’s 15 meters high, 15 meters wide, and about 1 meter deep. :eh:

It’s good for ten minutes. Then it’s time to find your rickshaw.

Go to Jaipur; you won’t be disappointed, but know that the Hawa Mahal is no great fort or palace.

It is gorgeous from the front; can anyone here find a side view or back view?

[quote=“zender”]Sounds good, but don’t expect too much from the Palace of Winds in Jaipur. It’s all a facade. No, seriously, it’s 15 meters high, 15 meters wide, and about 1 meter deep. :eh:

It’s good for ten minutes. Then it’s time to find your rickshaw.

Go to Jaipur; you won’t be disappointed, but know that the Hawa Mahal is no great fort or palace.[/quote]
Well, Hawa Mahal makes for great photos, and in any case there’s a hell of a lot more to see in Jaipur.

Jaipur

[quote]Sounds good, but don’t expect too much from the Palace of Winds in Jaipur. It’s all a facade. No, seriously, it’s 15 meters high, 15 meters wide, and about 1 meter deep. :eh:
[/quote]

disappointing is the word that comes to mind…In any case, if you have to do Rajasrhan, Ajmer, Jaiselmer and Jodhpur are stunning. The carvings of jaiselmer are…lemme look up some pics!

That’d be great! Will you be back in town over the holidays?[/quote]

Got back last night. Now trying to organize my apartment for the workathon in the coming months.

What a strange couple! You like to be watched while you go about your every day “domestic routines.” :astonished:

Excuse me, is this Almas John, or are you once again letting another man use your mouth, so to speak, for a little fun?

Excuse me, is this Almas John, or are you once again letting another man use your mouth, so to speak, for a little fun?[/quote]

100% Pure NZ. Maoman asked me stop channeling the Visionary from Vancouver a couple of months back. Since that dark Night of the Chewy Purge I have complied with the Hippo’s request.

Anyway, a trip to India sounds like fun. I highly recommend reading anything you can get your hands on by William Dalrymple. He’s not just one the best writers on India, in my opinion, he’s one of the very best full stop.

He is a good writer, but he also perpetuates cliches and generalizations. His writings only strengthen stereotypes, but they make good reading.

One book IMHO which is a must read, not only for outsiders but also for Indians is Edward Luce’s In spite of the Gods. Brutally honest, an honesty that comes with complete comprehension of the subject.

Divea, thanks for the lead.I have a favor to ask though, can you recommend some good read for kids in elementary level, about the Indian culture, people etc. (we have history and geography covered already).
I kinda messed up last fall, bringing the kids to India on a very last minute , short trip.Now the country is hugely misrepresented, in their young minds. Not a good thing, first impressions are important; my fault of course, so am trying to do a thorough read up and prep them properly before another visit this coming winter.Thanks.

er, sorry, was trying to upload photos, but pics came out too HUGE.
OK, I give up, never good with computers.

EDIT:Now I got it, haha, not so dense afterall.

vehicle simillar to the Tuk Tuk we took in Thailand.
to be continued on page 4…

sorry asianmom, missed your earlier post. I’ll think about books…my first instinct ids to let the kids decide for themselves. If they don’t like it…fine. They can try it later in life…it could be a good opportunity to talk to them, what and why they don’t like some things. Maybe make it a teaching moment of how life is not easy everywhere.

Maybe some comics…I’ll get back to you.