Indian restaurants in Taipei

Tandoor (坦都) (the new one)
Zhongxiao E. Rd. Sec. 4 Lane 170 Alley 6 Nr 7 (02-87733248)
At Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station, take exit 5 and you are at lane 170

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote]
Which spice shop are you referring to? the one downtown off Dunhua?

[/quote]

directions/addresses please?[/quote]
The Spice Shop
Dunhua S. Rd. Sec. 2, Lane 63, Alley 53, no. 2
2704-2537

It’s in the big block behind Bliss (southeast corner of Xinyi and Dunhua).

Has anyone heard of a new Indian place in the Shida area called Himalaya? Someone was telling me about it the other day, but I forgot the details. He said it used to be a bad Indian restaurant but has been taken over by a fat Indian lady and is now very good.
Anyone?

:lovestruck:

Is it this place?
Lane 105 No. 3 Shida Rd.
02-23671313

I guess you could call them and ask about the fat lady…

【印度风】地址位于:台北市师大路105巷3号
【印度风】电话号码:02-23671313
印度风主要经营:印度菜
印度风台北市师大路105巷3号,印度菜02-23671313

[quote=“Feiren”]Is it this place?
Lane 105 No. 3 Shi-Da Rd.
02-23671313

I guess you could call them and ask about the fat lady…

【印度风】地址位于:台北市师大路105巷3号
【印度风】电话号码:02-23671313
印度风主要经营:印度菜
印度风台北市师大路105巷3号,印度菜02-23671313[/quote]
Dunno. It was Charles who was telling me about it.

Me and the lovely SO went there on Saturday. Place feels very authentic, maybe a bit too expensive for our budget, but I thought that the food was pretty good. I also realised I have turned into a curry wuss… I was sweating after butter chicken :blush:

I noticed a lot of dishes I remember from Rusholme… Sagwala, Tandoori etc… but no Methi or Bhuna… I’d go again although probably wthout the Mrs… she was doing the Taiwanese false “its ok” thing.

I didn’t notice a large Indian lady there btw.

Ah, the Rusholme curry… No food finer. Brings a tear to my eye. Threw a left over lamb vindaloo in Lorna’s dad’s pond once and killed all the koi. Great days.

Remember how crazy it gets around Eid? and the yearly curry competition? ahhh halcyon days…

Anyway… Thinking on… I wouldn’t mind going out for a curry night at some point if anyone’s up for some curry shenanigans

I’m in.

I’m in.

Hi, been to Calcutta in Ximen, food was good but not outstanding. I’d go back but I’m wondering if you all have any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Patrick

A friend of mine recommends Tandoor, provided you ask the chef to make it Indian and not Taiwanized-Indian. The owner and chefs are from India and will do it authentic if you ask.

My friend who recommended it is Indian, so I figure that’s good enough for me.

I haven’t tried it yet myself, and don’t know the address, but you could search the restaurants section here to get the address.

The nearest presentable Indian food I’ve found is in Tokyo. A chain called Siddhique for one. Taiwan has few Indians and fewer Mexicans, and the food reflects this. They do have Thai and Vietnamese here however.

There were quite a few dispariging reviews of Tandoor on yahoo travel. Indian food is tricky like that I guess. What about Cafe India in Tianmu? Anybody been there?

I’m a fan of Cafe India - it’s the best Indian I’ve had in Taipei. Excellent daal and great flavour to the curries. However, I’ve yet to try the Spice Shop and Cha Cha, which I’ve heard are also good. If you don’t want to hoof it all the way out to Tianmu, I’d say Aaleja near Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT is the best bet in town, although the buffet isn’t great - go in the evening and order from the menu instead.

Hmm, I’m hungry…

Aaleja is the place. I love Indian food and I tried Aaleja about two years ago for the first time. I think they started about 3 years ago in Taipei (near Zhongxiao Dunhua).

Cafe India in Tianmu would be my second. Or maybe Tandoor, which is also very good. I especially love how they prepare the naan breads at Cafe India. But at times I’ve been let down by them too with dishes that I think were not very inspiring in taste (lacking ingredients?) or fish that tasted ‘fishy’ (not fresh enough).

I’ve known Aaleja at times also to ‘budgetize’ a dish somewhat (like the aloo dish, ‘heavenly spicy’), but in general I’m already cheering while going there. My girlfriend too.

I’d almost say that Cafe India and Aaleja share a first place in my heart for Indian food, but in different ways. I just think Aaleja has the edge.

I thought the Indian place near Shi Da nightmarket was pretty good. Decent curry and naan. Not sure what it’s called but it’s near the new baba kebaba place. I’ll go today and find out.

That place is called Curria. It’s OK and I always liked the people who worked there.

I have been to most of the places mentioned and none, except Calcutta, has made Vindaloo the way I like it. Also, my friend’s fiancee has said Calcutta’s dishes are the least oily.

I would also recommend Aaleja. It was my favorite place to go until Calcutta opened.

Or perhaps you mean Out of India, not far from that Roxy Junior cafe on Shi-da Road? I like that place too.