Indian restaurants in Taipei

[quote=“Taffy”]… I’d say Aaleja near Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT is the best bet in town, although the buffet isn’t great - go in the evening and order from the menu instead.[/quote]Agreed on both counts. Very good off-the-menu food but avoid the buffet.

Safron in Tienmu. Guuuud!

where is it exactly? thanks.

where is it exactly? thanks.[/quote]

Up a few shops from the KunMing St. KFC that is across from the ambassador theater on Cheng Du road - if that makes any sense.

should be good enough! thanks.

Hey thanks, everybody! We went to Aaleja last night and I was quite satisfied. The naan was baked, the cheese in the palak paneer was authentic and the overall flavors were good. Price was nice too, the three of us ate (naan, rice, mutton vindaloo, beef daal, palak paneer and mango lassis)for around 1300. Cant wait to try Cafe India, but I think Aaleja might be tough to beat in Taipei. I recommend it!

Haven’t been to Aaleja yet, but Out of India just off of Shida Rd. (1 or 2 alleys north of Roxy Jr. or 1 alley south of the brick wall of Shida Uni and west down into the alley) is my favorite Indian place in Taipei so far. The food is delicious and consistent, which is more than I can say for Tandoor.

Another qualification, the only Indian place I’ve been to in Tienmu is Cafe India, which was fabulous the first couple of times I went when they first opened. But twice in the last two years it was extremely disappointing…

Yea I was talking about Out of India. Food is good and the service is good. Can’t go wrong with that I think.

Nobody tried Ali Baba’s Indian Kitchen??
It’s on Nanjing East Road no 56, 2nd floor.

…and it’s goooood. Went there last friday with 8 other moms (and kids) and we almost ordered the whole menu. Everything looked delicious and the food we eventually ordered WAS delicious.

I have to go for another feast sometime soon! Yummy!

Isn’t this in the night market area, then?

Any more descriptors of how I can get to this restaurant?

Thanks.

Thanks.[/quote]

Aaleja
No. 6, Alley 5, Lane 70, Yanji Street, Taipei
台北市延吉街70巷5弄6號1樓
(02) 2773-3227

Closest MRT station: Zhongxiao Dunhua

Thanks.[/quote]
I think he’s asking about Out of India, Taffy. No, it’s not in the night market area, but on the west side of the park. Lane 13 is the second lane if you come down from the Shida campus.

Out of India
26, Lane 13, Pucheng St. Taipei
2363-3054

One thing should be said about Out of India is that it’s pricier than all the surrounding restaurants which mainly cater to college students. But the higher prices are worth it.

Off topic question: Anyone been to Evans Burger across from OOI? I glanced at their menu once and it looked very good, on paper at least.

Oops. :blush:

[quote=“tinster”]Nobody tried Ali Baba’s Indian Kitchen??
It’s on Nanjing East Road no 56, 2nd floor.

…and it’s goooood. Went there last friday with 8 other moms (and kids) and we almost ordered the whole menu. Everything looked delicious and the food we eventually ordered WAS delicious.

I have to go for another feast sometime soon! Yummy![/quote]

It was “goooood” you say? Well congratulations. And good luck to everyone who goes there.

I was treated in the most rude way when I was at Ali Baba. The food sucked. The service sucked. It was terrible, and they were RUDE. There is an older thread about Indian food here on Forumosa. I could dig it up… as my experiece was not unique. Ali Baba is in my eyes just a scam.

I’ve been to Ali-Baba on NanJing E Rd. quite a few times. It’s more of a middle-eastern feel, but there is definitely some Indian food, and it’s great. The buffet is like 400NT

Just to beat a dead horse, there’s
Aaleja near Zhongxiao Dunhua
Curria near Shi Da
Calcutta on Kunming St.
Out of India near Shi Da
Ali Baba on Nanjing E. Rd. #56 2nd floor

I think there’s another one on Ker Qiang St. near Chung Shan N. Rd. Sec. 6.

If you picked 9 Indian Restaurants in the SF Bay Area and added Out of India to them, IMHO it comes in about 6th place for food (mediocre), and 2nd place for price (i.e. high). Granted it was a weekend but the service was slow. Many kalpas, many yugas elapsed before your humble seeker saw his basmati.

I guess I’m spoiled from living in the Bay Area. There, you can walk into any of hundreds of Indian restaurants, be eating a dozen great dishes from a buffet within 5 minutes, for $6 - 10.

I’m not even going to dignify Ali Baba with a ranking. It does truly suck.

Also not mentioned yet, Kunming Garden is a simple but nice and friendly place. It’s at Nanjing East Road MRT station (brown line).

Directions: coming downstairs from the MRT station, walk back in the direction of Zhongxiao Fuxing, crossing Nanjing E. Rd. Within a minute you’ll reach lane 81. Turn left, walk to number 26, there it is (that’s Fuxing North Road).

Prices are more moderate, around 300 to 400 NT$ per person. You get some nice Indian food for that. They also have some Yunnan dishes on the menu.

Check if they’re open before going: 02-27516776

Yes…absolutely!

Can’t believe I left out Kunming…the food there (at least the veggie fare) is delicious!

Though not an Indian restaurant Carnegie’s does have excellent curries, Nan, chutneys …the lot!

So if you are looking for an authentic curry …we have it! I say this with confidence as many of the Indians living here in Taipei also share that view.

Namaste.

Skell