Indian restaurants in Taipei

Cheers for the suggestions. I’m gonna check out Aaleja, the restaurant off Chung Hsaio E rd near Forkers. I love a beer or several with my curry, but I walked past there today and they have a sign outside saying ‘no alcohol’. I know someone previously mentioned that the boss said it was ok to bring beers in, but I’ll probably respect their policy, and my plan is to make up for it in bobwundayes later.

The Shi-Da dosa place: Exotic Masala House, 台北市鋪成街13巷19號 / #19 Lane 13 Pucheng Street. As far as I know it’s the only place in town with southern Indian food, and is definitely worth visiting for that. I really liked a couple of meals that I had there, then unfortunately went there a month or so after a visit to Kerala - which was a mistake! Best masala dosas (one of the finest dishes in the world) in Taipei, but to the best of my knowledge the only masala dosas in Taipei.

Mind you, I haven’t been there in a couple of years. I need to get back. I hope it’s still there.[/quote]Yes, it’s still there and still quite good.

In case anyone’s interested, there are two Indian restaurants in Tianmu, right behind 新光三越, located on Tian Mu East Road, at the end of Zhong Cheng Road Section 2. Check it out on google map, the restaurants are side by side. Talk about fierce competition :loco:

One is Saffron that’s mentioned above, the other is The Spice Shop.

One is Saffron that’s mentioned above, the other is The Spice Shop.[/quote]

And last time I passed the place (2 months ago or so?) the Spice Shop was closed and some building going on inside… no idea if it’s open again.

Wanted to update this thread with some old and new information.

Here is a (somewhat dated) review of Indian fare in Taipei. amcham.com.tw/index2.php?opt … f=1&id=182 They overlooked Saffron.

Cafe India on KeQiang is closed for renovations, I think a chef went back to India. Their buffet has been dwindling. But they still operate out of that Tienmu mall with the Miramar movies in it, and I think now also near Main Station, maybe in the ShinKong Mitsukoshi food mall?

Tandoor actually has 2 restaurants, very near each other. tandoor.com.tw The one on He Jiang still has the weekend lunch buffet, I think 440NT, possible 10% service (for a buffet? whatever.) The other one, you could ask the owner to roll you a buffet, but only weekend lunch.

Any other Indian restaurants active with a (good) buffet?

Tianmu has at least two more Indian restaurants (if you count Lion Foot, the Sri Lankan restaurant). Another Indian place is just north of that.

Saffron is my favorite of the four.

The food court in the Mitsukoshi Department Store, just below the Miramar movie theater, has something that looks like Indian food. But my experiences there do not lead me to recommend it. OTOH, I was pleasantly surprised by the food court Indian restaurant in the Miramar in Dazhi. At least I think it was in Miramar; it might have been one of the been in one of the other big places around there.

Tianmu has at least two more Indian restaurants (if you count Lion Foot, the Sri Lankan restaurant). Another Indian place is just north of that.

Saffron is my favorite of the four.

The food court in the Mitsukoshi Department Store, just below the Miramar movie theater, has something that looks like Indian food. But my experiences there do not lead me to recommend it. OTOH, I was pleasantly surprised by the food court Indian restaurant in the Miramar in Dazhi. At least I think it was in Miramar; it might have been one of the been in one of the other big places around there.[/quote]
It’s the ‘Taj’ Chain. They’re at 101 too…okey dokey. Just tell them not to sprinkle pepper over your food and just hand over whatever they have cooked! A bit steep for 250 NTD a meal me thinks but if you’re at a food court, and want Indian, it’ll work!

Tianmu has at least two more Indian restaurants (if you count Lion Foot, the Sri Lankan restaurant). Another Indian place is just north of that. [/quote]
I think you mean #1 above is Saffron and #2 is Spice Shop? Is Spice Shop open again yet, seems like those renovations are taking months. #4 “just north of #3 Lion’s Foot” is Tandoor. #5 is a second Tandoor (see tandoor.com.tw for both). #6 is Cafe India (also under renovation at this writing, what’s the story with all these renovations) on KeQiang, and the #7 is a Cafe India branch in the 3rd floor food court of the building with the Tienmu Miramar movie theatre above and Chili’s below. Not ranking them, just counting them. Anyone want to try for #8?

Resurrecting an old thread and a familiar topic: where’s the good Indian food in Taipei?

As forumosans will know, I am a devoted fan of Joseph’s extraordinary cooking at Joseph Bistro, which has been discussed in this thread:

Today, I wanted to pass along a shout-out to a more modest joint: an on-again off-again place called Amma’s Kitchen on the west side of Roosevelt Road, just north of the Shida Road intersection, steps from Taipower Building MRT Station (address:臺北市中正區羅斯福路三段100號之93, follow the sign up to the second floor). The staff and the chef at Amma’s are from Tamil Nadu, and they cheerfully serve dosas, idly, biryani, and other South Indian fare. The dining area (where folks are requested to take off their shoes) is cozy and bright. The masala dosa I had tonight was a delight–honest food, utterly free of nonsense. It’s well worth a visit.

Guy

2 Likes

Calcutta is my go-to Indian place, but I’m always up to try something new. Is it just vegetarian, or do they have meatetarian options too?

Amma’s does vegetarian and non-vegetarian.

If you’re into meat and enjoy rice, you might try their chicken biryani. Other choices, including some curries, are available too.

Guy

Cool. I like the Southern vegetarian stuff too, so I’ll definitely be checking it out.

Lao Ren Cha gave Amma’s Kitchen a glowing review a few months ago. I hope to try it soon.

Mayur’s, which I’ve always enjoyed, seems to keep expanding, and is trying to make each branch different. From hungryintaipei:

Rather than make each restaurant the same, Chef Mayur chose to give each one a specialty. MIK 1 is homestyle Indian food. MIK 2 is more upscale. MIK 3 is purely vegetarian. MIK 4 is a buffet (but only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays). MIK5 is stated to the be the largest Indian restaurant in Taipei. And last but not least, the newest MIK 6 is an Indian restaurant by day, hookah and live music restaurant by night, offering Indian food until 3AM.

The Thali. Get the potatoes/curry stuffed naan.

Where? Since I resurrected this thread, we’ve discussed Amma’s Kitchen and Mayur’s Indian Kitchen, which has six quite different branches. Whose thali?

Guy

The Thali
No.24-1, Donghu Rd., Neihu Dist., Taipei City 114, Taiwan [台北市內湖區東湖路24-1號]

3 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t realize “Thali” was a dish as well. I mean the place called “The Thali”, as @springonion linked (Thanks!).

It’s in Neihu, near brown line donghu station. Yes, I think the treck there is worth it, even if one lives a bit away :slight_smile: I enjoyed quite a few of the other indian restaurants over the years, but since I discovered this gem, never went to any other again.

I can’t judge how authentic it is, but I often see indians there, also they cater for Indian events in Taipei. Cooks are from India, owner is Taiwanese but speaks the language. Nice owners by the way.

1 Like

Tandor was awful last time I tried it.

I was back at Amma’s Kitchen earlier this week. At the recommendation of the friendly proprietor, I tried the curry chicken dosa. Wow, was this good! Along with the complementary sambal and chutneys on the side, and washed back with a cup of delicious masala tea, this was a damn fine meal. I’m hungry now just thinking about it!

Guy

2 Likes