Indian restaurants in Taipei

Wife just said she’s desperate for something spicy. I’m working near Daan this Sunday morning, so the plan is to take the wife and sprog in, they can play in Daan park while I work, and I can work on run-on sentences.

Any recommendations for curry houses near Daan? I was thinking the Masala House.

1 Like

This is Tempogain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AoCK5r2TWg

The man is like lightning.

1 Like

my mule don’t like people laughin

1 Like

As those in the know already know, Amma’s Kitchen and its wonderful South Indian delicacies has moved.

Their new digs near Technology Building MRT Station don’t have the bright and cute-as-a-button look of their original location at the Roosevelt/Shida intersection—but there is more seating, and if this helps the business to keep rolling and thriving, I can live with it.

New address: Heping East Road Section 2, Lane 357, Number 2; telephone 02-2368-8054

Beware that the new location is in the tiniest of lanes on the north side of Heping East Road, about half way between Fuxing and Dunhua South Road. Unlike before, the shop is on the ground floor.

Guy

1 Like

For my money, Balle Balle is the best Indian food in Taipei.

1 Like

It’s far and away my favorite and I believe that I’ve tried them all.

Well… I disagree with your opinion. :man_shrugging: And that’s the great thing about opinions, mmmkay.

Unless you’re agreeing with me it’s the best. Kinda unclear tbh.

1 Like

Balle Balle specializes in Punjabi food.

Amma’s Kitchen (mentioned above as it has moved) specializes in South Indian food, especially from Tamil Nadu.

It’s awesome that such choices actually exist in our lovely capital!

Guy

3 Likes

Anyone been to Taj? It made the 2020 Bib Gourmand list.

I’ve not been, but it appears to be northern Indian fare, Halal / Muslim friendly.

Good for them (along with Saffron in Tienmu) for making it onto the Bib Gourmand list!

Guy

That looks like Halal pork…

That image is not from Taj. : D

Guy

Here’s a post in Tricky Taipei, interviewing several Indians about their preferred Indian restaurants in Taipei. I believe most or all of the restaurants they talk about are already mentioned somewhere upthread - Ammas gets some love as one of the few non-North-Indian options.

Mildly surprised how many discuss Masala Art (Maji Square). I liked it well enough, but it didn’t stand out one way or the other to me. I should give it another try.

A few make the point that Indian food here is annoyingly expensive.

3 Likes

We went to Saffron46 in Xinyi yesterday and it was seriously good. 4400NT for the three of us (2 starters, 3 main courses, dirty martini, beer, and mocktail for the kid).

2 Likes

What’d you have for mains?

I had Keralan fish curry (in tamarind), my wife had Chicken Murgh Tikka Masala (which was slightly over seasoned), and my daughter made the best choice of Hariyali Tikka.

1 Like

Wow, quite the south-to-north range. So the kitchen seems to be more adept at the northern fare?

Guy

I don’t know. I lived in India as a child, but I’ve forgotten many of the culinary differences.

Your daughter’s dish was better than yours?

If so, then north trumps south for this kitchen.

Guy

OK, I’ve wikied it now.

1 Like