Indian restaurants in Taipei

I can confirm that the kitchen was more adept at northern fare in terms of one dish from the menu compared to one other dish from the menu.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for the best tasting Indian food in Taipei, go to Saffron Fine Indian Cuisine in Tianmu (and ask for authentic Indian style when you order).

I’ve tried almost all the Indian restaurants here and Saffron is an easy winner. The only downside is that their curries are super rich and heavy, so it’s not something I could eat often…

3 Likes

I wish they’d add some new items to their menu, though… been going since the first month it opened and would like to have new options! Of course one could go to Saffron 46, but it’s a bit of a trek from northern Taipei.

Moksha 67 da-an branch Taipei ( Indian restaurant

Have been here a couple of times. It’s pretty good.

1 Like

Moksha in Tianmu is really good as well. They have a “thali” lunch option between Tuesdays-Fridays, which IMO is the highest value Indian food you can get for ~300 NTD. Everything in their thali is delicious. Here’s a pic:

3 Likes

Solid by Taiwan standards, but no higher than third-best in Tianmu!

1 Like

I really enjoyed a veggie meal today from Mayur Indian Kitchen’s MIK-3 branch. Nice work on the aloo gobi and the jeera rice, as well as on a tasty paneer dish.

Guy

1 Like

Ah but Moksha is easy walking distance from the MRT, which counts a lot for me.

It may be a few years now since I’ve gone into Tianmu.

1 Like

Reviving this thread to post a couple of updates about Taipei City’s evolving Indian food scene.

First, I learned today that Namaste on Anhe Road (near the Heping East Road intersection) is under new ownership. The guy in the kitchen is a familiar face, so it’s not (yet?) a radical change. I did notice they added “beef curry” to their list of business lunch specials, so I presume the new owner is Muslim . . . Note: this sit-down restaurant is not to be confused with Namaste Taiwan located in the Shida Night Market down the street.

Close by, on Heping East Road just west of the Dunhua South Road intersection, the somewhat odd retail space former occupied by the all-vegetarian Flavor of India (now permanently closed) is set to be the new home of a place called Atithi. It’s not yet open. I’m looking forward to giving it a try when it’s up and running. If any forumosans have inside details, let us know!

Guy

5 Likes

Still can’t get past the fact that indian restaurants in Taiwan charge both rice and naan seperate from the curry.

What kinda mad man eats curry with no rice, bread or at least noodles ??!

1 Like

The ones that dont know and there are a lot of people like that here. They are also the same who eats naan with a fork.

Hey if you prefer all-in-one pricing you can either hit one of the buffets (usually on weekends now at selected Indian restaurants) or order a thali, where the nan and rice are included. It can be done!

Guy

1 Like

Which good Indian buffets have you been to in Taipei?

In my view, the weekend buffet at Taj Indian Restaurant is the the gold standard in Taipei City—but with two caveats:

1. Definitely nonvegetarians have the advantage here; and
  2. It’s been a year or so since I had it, as I’ve tried to cut back on big meals.

They serve northern Indian foods, and they made it onto the Michelin Bib Gourmand list, if that means anything.

I also very much enjoy their thalis, which are available lunch and dinner except lunches on weekends when the buffet is operating (no a la carte at that time).

Guy

2 Likes

Indian restaurant in U.K. charge rice & nan separately, you have rice or a Balti style with Nan?

And pizza and burgers and?

A PSA: Namaste Taiwan (not a “restaurant” as such, but instead a beloved stand in the Shida Night Market, with maybe 4-6 seats for dining) is closed for a while, maybe a couple of months, as the owner / chef is off travelling, as I fortuitously found out when I ran into him on the street. By my calculation, that would mean an approximate reopening in early April 2023.

Guy

2 Likes

Went to balle balle restaurant on guangfu N rd in songshan. Pleasant surprise.

Nice kebabs, decent naan and very nice lamb biryani, meat very tender. The mango lassi was real, not bloody sugary fake yoghurt crap.

3 Likes

That place is known for its Punjabi food.

As a solo diner, I found the portions simply too large to handle.

I should grab some friends to give it another try.

Guy

1 Like

Possibly quite the challenge (cheap dig, you made it too easy). However, I’m up for a curry.

1 Like

Yes, portions very generous. But I like that haha

1 Like