Instant Pot (multi-use cooker)

Hi! Traveling from US (already vaccinated x2 :slight_smile: ) in the summer. Should I bring an instant pot with me back (prob the 3quart/single person size) or buy one locally in taipei? Does anyone know if they sell instant pots in taipei/how much they are?

For anyone wondering.

2 Likes

They do in Costco but only 1 model and the front panel is in Chinese only.

1 Like

I seen instant pot like devices in Taiwan, cost about the same as what an instant pot costs in the US too.

You can also buy one from Taobao if necessary. Price is about half of what they sell for in Taiwan.

for a sec there I was thinking “instant weed? huh?” :laughing:

Some of the devices with similar functions:
https://thermomix.vorwerk.tw/tw/home/
https://www.store-philips.tw/SalePage/Index/6035303

1 Like

we bought a phillips all-in-one pressure cooker instant pot thing with our gov money in december. works great. costs like 1900 NT at carrefour if you don’t feel like bringing yours with you. nice if you want to cook food for a few days. also you can use it with the top off and we cook breakfast in it: toast, eggs, bacon, etc.
but yeah the dial is in chinese but it’s simple enough. eggs, rice, veggies, pork, fish, chicken, lamb, beef, soup settings. i think that’s all.

we don’t have a kitchen and landlord said no to little gas range, so we make do with this appliance, a taitung rice cooker (which also works as a microwave basically), and electric kettle. good ol taiwan.

Just bring one or get one at Costco if the Chinese doesn’t bother you. I carried mine on the plane without issues.

On that note, does anyone know if we can get the English decal to stick on top of the buttons? I can find instant pot cooking time decals on Amazon but not the button decals

Why not just take this opportunity to learn the Chinese?

I do learn Chinese everyday but I prefer having kitchen stuff in a language I’m familiar with.

that’s fair desi, and i’m in no way judging, but in general i think the first thing you should learn in a new language is how to feed yourself. i barely know any mandarin (learning very slowly), but i can read and speak enough to order myself food and drinks and have a pretty good idea of what i’m going to get.

1 Like

Print out the relevant page from the English language manual and stick it on your wall?

Yea, how hard can it be?

Keep in mind the owner of this machine doesn’t know english

Does it have a popcorn setting?

2 Likes

No, but if you use the machine wrong you can destroy the machine. Much bigger stake here than instant pot.

A lot of those buttons are not labelled in English, they’ve all got symbols that a machinist should understand and there’s a translation cheap sheet for the top row which is arguably more complicated.

I’d imagine an English literature graduate with no machining experience would destroy the machine far faster than a machinist with no English language experience.

Manual for the Duo-SV currently in Costco

1 Like

Thanks ya I have that. Have printed it out. It’d have been cool if I could get a sticker to put on top of the current panel.