Instant Pot (multi-use cooker)

The bookstore has DIY sticker sheets that you can write or draw on and cut to size.

Do you mean eslite ?

Any bookstore almost

It’s definitely cheaper in the US if you have the luggage space for it. Here it is for sale at Costco: https://www.costco.com.tw/Appliances/Small-Kitchen-Appliances/Rice-Cookers-Steamers/Instant-Pot-Pressure-Cooker/p/128114

(I’m leaving Taiwan in about a month or so. Bought from Costco in December. If anyone is interested in buying used please feel free to message me with an offer.)

It seems to be about US$45 cheaper in the U.S., but I would imagine most people have better use for the 5-6 kilograms of luggage space needed to lug it across, not to mention warranty issues.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, and just drew a (very) crude drawing of the labels to stick on the kitchen wall until I remember what the major buttons do. :grin:

I also thought about making and sticking labels on with my label printer, but couldn’t really be bothered.

1 Like

Wow, that’s a complicated pressure cooker!

1 Like

I think it also functions as an air fryer.

1 Like

They’re 3699 in store at the moment, there were on sale at 2,999 earlier in the year.

1 Like

I’m seeing Instant Pot clones for about 300RMB on Taobao. That makes it about 1200nt.

Bargain. That must mean they’re not even charging extra for the arsenic in the steel or the shoddy wiring.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I paid a couple of weeks ago. Happy with it so far!

1 Like

The real instant pot is also made in China, likely at similar price points, and with all the bad features.

Sure, I assume it is, like most things. The QC likely isn’t comparable, though.

1 Like

I have bought several electronics off of Taobao, a TIG welder and a 3500 watt induction cooker. Both have been going strong and not a hint of failure. I am ordering another 3500 watt induction wok (it’s like an induction cooker but with a concave cook top so you can put a round bottom cookware on it). They’re good enough for making chop suey with.

LOL, rather you than me, at the very least I hope it’s running on 220V and the spec.'s are way overinflated.

I certainly wouldn’t want a Taobao special sitting in my kitchen full of hot liquid at over 15psi!

1 Like

The real ones have 3 safety mechanisms I think.

They run at 220v because that’s the voltage they use in China. Otherwise any Chinese guy would buy it and have it explode on their desk.

Those Instant Pot clones have the same safety feature as the real thing too. You just aren’t paying for the name (means IP got the pot probably at 1/2 Taobao retail price, and marked it up to full retail value).

And 15psi isn’t THAT much. My air compressor tank is made with similar gauge steel and they hold 120psi.

Giving your taobao cooker a very generous PF of 1, 3500W would pull 16amp@220V, I hope your wiring is up to scratch!

How do you know?

More than enough to kill you.

It’s not and completely irrelevant even if it was.

Taobao instant pot is likely not at 3500 watt, most likely 800 or so. It would pull barely 5 amps at that.

I would hope most AC outlets in Taiwan is rated up to 20 amps. That is what I plug my 220v appliance into. Anymore than that I might be looking at 3 phase.

But hey if you buy any other brand of appliance it would be at a 100% markup and likely made by the same companies who made the Taobao appliance.