Institutionalized racism in the US and elsewhere

Something like Chinese never die.

Institutionalized Racism my ass.

Black President Twice
Taiwanese now running for President of the United States and beating out the original 3/4 of the contenders.

1 Like

There is clearly still systemic racism. To 100% deny it is ridiculous.

However, it’s difficult to prove where the systemic racism lies.

Not getting offered a job interview because you have a non-white sounding name isn’t systemic racism. It’s individual bigotry.

Homicide rates within black communities are 8 times that of white communities. Homicide victims are 6 times black compared to white.

Obviously any reasonable person would want to reduce the number of black people getting killed. Will focussing on systemic racism achieve this goal? When it’s no longer acceptable to discuss cultural aspects then there’s nothing else to discuss other than systemic racism.

The problem now is whether systemic racism is the only cause. If it’s not then we’re barking up the wrong tree and people of color will continue to die.

1 Like

Can you show me some examples of systematic racism? If it exists, it is minuscule. And the incessant focus on it is actually a hindrance to improving the lives of minorities.

2 Likes

This is the problem, as I posted. It’s difficult to pinpoint. One example would be the stop and frisk in New York.

My point would be that the belief in systemic racism creates a possibly damaging feeling of victimhood and powerlessness among some groups.

Systemic racism does exist everywhere.

I read that the 2 most common name for new business owners in Italy are Chen and Hu. I don’t see much racism towards the Chinese, the Chinese here don’t cause problems and start businesses and even hire Italians. They might they chinese are strange people, but they aren’t hated. There are even towns here that have Chinese on road signs because of so many Chinese immigrants. Some are even elected as local officials.

African and ME immigrants are not so well tolerated. But they cause a lot of problems. High unemployment and beggars are almost always African. Many don’t have the skills to make a living in a western country.

Oh, the conspiracy theory.

In Italy there is an urban myth that “the Chinese never die”, a conspiracy theory that when Chinese immigrants pass away they do not notify the authorities, but simply pass on their documents to a new arrival.

I don’t know specifically of Chinese doing that, but it’s not far fetched. In Canada some years ago, it was revealed that there were X times more social insurance numbers than there were people living in the country, and no-one had a plausible explanation for it other than fraud.

Consider the documented phenomenon of “paper sons” back in the day, and it’s not a huge leap of logic. If people think oh all Chinese do that, they’re all crooks, then that’s bigotry, but it’s not institutional bigotry unless the system expects them to do it (and doesn’t expect others to do likewise).

I don’t think I the article made an accusation of institutionalized racism…just racism.

This is a key point. Individual bigotry does not equate to systemic racism. Systemic racism is very hard to see. Yes, in the past laws were systemically racist. However, now it’s hard to provide examples where this is still the case.

Yes, racism exists everywhere. But proving that it’s part of a system is almost impossible.

1 Like

If I may: if the discussion is about systemic (institutional) racism, shouldn’t the focus be on institutional orientation and actions?

I think many people keep pointing to individual acts of bigotry and racism (like people shouting epithets at a minority) as indicators of inatitutionalised racism, which it is not.

2 Likes

Not to bash you, but this is akin to saying “What Global Warming? It snowed four feet in Tallahassee!” :smoker:

1 Like

Also, Institutional Racism isn’t limited to governmental laws and regs. I’d say there’s more of it in the hiring practices of larger corporations, and targeted advertising.

Yeah…and pay:

1 Like

That’s what I was saying. It appears I wasn’t clear.

It’s interesting that a subject that’s already a bit of a minefield makes itself more of a risk whenever people enter it. Eventually it will end up being discussed by only those who have already reached a conclusion.

2 Likes

Far from disputing, was just picking up from the thread that you were replying to. It was just easier to do that than go to original post, a hassle on my mobile phone. Dang phone screens.

Gender pay gap is a myth (for the most part).

3 Likes

I have been here 20 years but I have never seen a foreigner, especially a pale face, working behind the counter at a convenience store.

Restaurants, unless pale face is the owner, nope.

I am under the impression from reading foreigner forums from Japan that the situation workwise there is bad. I mean, it is legalish for them to keep your passport, they skip your retirement and other fund payments, and plenty other shenanigans.

US is the US and I personally believe having a black president just added gasoline to the fire. Too much bottled anger, too easy to have escape goats, too easy to feed prejudice, divide and conquer, and keep society structured as it is.

In the old country Chinese or Asian people in general may complain of racism at being called names and being bullied or made the butt of all jokes. But they are free to buy and work and marry whoever…same as everyone else, within their social class. Rich Asian can marry rich locals, no biggie. And everyone else who is different, foreign, fatter or taller or smaller, will receive the same treatment, born there or imported.

Yet Taiwan is far more enlightened where it comes to women’s participation in the workforce. I think I will have to wait a century to see women working in so many fields, side by side with their male counterparts in the old country. Yes, there are many barriers salary or promotion wise, but no one is getting killed because they date to work in a field considered men’s exclusive one.

1 Like

True. Let them have it though, they have 20 years left at best.

And that considers all non-hispanic whites, such as middle easterns, as “white”.

Amen.

OK, however I thought this was a US based discussion, not Australia. :idunno:

1 Like

The title would suggest so, but figure it out tomorrow after all the Turkey. Happy Thanksgiving.