Institutionalized racism in the US and elsewhere

Pretty sure I explained this already.

Iā€™l bet youā€™ve never seen a white westerner working construction either.
Do you think thereā€™s 15 to 20 white guys bangin on the foremanā€™s trailer door every day beggin to get hired on for NT$110/hr and they get turned away because the boss is racist???:wall:

2 Likes

I heard some of them can do quite well. And construction is booming industry here. Maybe the whitie has nothing else going on. Youā€™re not making convincing arguments.

yours?

The kids are alright

1 Like

What westerner would come to Taiwan to work a min wage jobs?

3 Likes

Sounds like a great gimmick. :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

How much do missionaries earn? :ponder:

1 Like

They earn a place in Heaven. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

It would never be 110nt an hour for construction . Iā€™m not sure of the rates, but that wouldnā€™t attract anybody to do hard work surely. The basic construction wage (legal workers ) is higher than minimum wage which is 150nt/hr.

1 Like

I heard some can do quite well

Yeah, but itā€™s a long train journey. On a scale from riding on the roof of the local service to sitting in first class high speed, where are (western) missionaries in Taiwan?

Yeah, they make a lot more than that. Itā€™s dangerous and low status work, and people arenā€™t stupid. Most people would much rather take lower pay for an office job.

Donā€™t they just come for a year or two though? Itā€™s not a dead end option like being a furriner working at a Famima in Aichi Prefecture.

1 Like

Yeah, this is pretty uncontroversially true. The racism my wife experiences in her limited time in Europe (specifically, from worst to least, France, Spain, Italy, and England) is far greater than anything she faced in living in the US. Iā€™ll add that virtually every Asian country weā€™ve been to has been much worse than the US as well.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, well, France is France ā€“ no argument there! :tumble:

But today the SCMP has an article about Chinese Italian entrepreneurs suffering racism and violenceā€¦

ā€¦and yet there is nothing in the article to support the racism claim, neither anecdotally nor scientifically. I need to see something with substance to take the claim seriously.

1 Like

in the summer you could find ex white constructors in the emergency burns unit. They barbecue easily on the 15th floor in mid June.

The racism claim is attenuated, but there is certainly evidence of it in the article, even if it isnā€™t dispositive. The song lyrics and the saying about Chinese behavior certainly point to racist attitudes. The Chinese-Italians claiming that their interests arenā€™t being protected by the government also speaks to this.

However, the article title, and even more so the claim that racism and xenophobia are on the rise, arenā€™t sufficiently supported in the article. I suspect, though, that it wouldnā€™t be too hard to find evidence that it is true.

The song certainly can be interpreted as racist. (Btw what ā€œsaying about Chinese behaviorā€ is mentioned in the article?)

ā€œChinese bars are everywhere, and the cappuccino is in a state of shockā€. So go the translated lyrics of a slightly xenophobic 2013 Italian pop song by the Milanese duo ā€œIl Genioā€ about Chinese migrants taking over neighbourhood cafes in northern and central Italy.

But if it were about blacks/Syrians/Afghans/etc., Iā€™m sure at least one regular around here would describe it as a song about culture, not race.

I donā€™t know Il Genio, so I donā€™t know what theyā€™re trying to express. I donā€™t trust goo-tran, but I would welcome a genuine Italian opinion.

The lyrics btw: https://genius.com/Il-genio-bar-cinesi-lyrics

1 Like