Institutionalized racism in the US and elsewhere

How can I put this …When talking about racism in the US it’s never made sense to me compare/contrast it to places like Europe. Now compare/contrast to South Africa, yes because there are some strong similarities. Almost exact in some cases. Even Brazil could be a good measure of racism because they have Jim Crow like laws on their books.

Any issue America has or had really results IMO from the period after the Civil War, the Reconstruction period. The Jim Crow laws that were encacted then, a great deal are still on the books in several states and even are basis for aruging today cases.

And I have to refute the idea that it’s only occuring in “some places” when it’s like all over the US. It’s to what degree. Is it overt or passive aggressive/daily macroagression?

I used to get ragged on talking about race on this board over 10 years ago. Looking back, comparing it today, yea, I probably did but I know that many of the discussions I had back then are the exact same issues being have today, but amplified because in some ways the gloves have come off , so to speak.

3 Likes

Yea growing up in California and being a Liberal I always had the mindset that America was racist, it wasn’t until I lived abroad and started traveling and meeting people/comparing and reading up on laws + Immigration and how immigrants are treated elsewhere even here in Taiwan, Korea, Japan, China, India, Mexico, etc that I realized how accepting the US is… Most of our biggest companies are entrusted to Immigrants. And yes I’ve experienced and seen racism more outside the US than I have in the US personally.

Ive lived in the US 30 years and outside only a few years. It really bothers me when people just talk about how Racist or Immigrant unfriendly the US is…and I wonder which country they are comparing the US to? The city I grew up in had an ethnic Chinese mayor. Also the surrounding cities had many Latino mayors. Are there Chinese Mayors in Mexico? In Brazil? in Italy? Are there White or SE Asian Mayors in Taiwan? In Japan? In Korea?

4 Likes

Japan is looking better on this front. In Taiwan it would be quite the spectacle to have a foreigner working the counter at 7 11 for example. They’d probably bring out the news crews. Saw many middle eastern, perhaps Indian looking clerks there in Japan convenience stores

3 Likes

Yes even when I was in Korea I saw the same thing. I was surprised, Korea looked way more multicultural than Taiwan and allowed immigrants to work in convenient stores, restaurant staff, etc. not just in teaching or corporate jobs only. I’ve never seen a non Taiwanese work at 7-11 in Taiwan. And anyone that looks SE Asian is automatically assumed to be a factory worker or OSW. Thats pretty racist.

When I lived in Taipei, one of the convenience stores I frequented had a middle-aged white woman clerk. It seemed very strange.

3 Likes

Wow!

Who says immigrants “can’t” work in convenience stores? It’s pretty hard to find a “visible” immigrant who can’t do better than NT$125 an hour.
Anyone on here would doubtless be welcome to work at Family Mart (language capability notwithstanding), but why would they?

1 Like

Can you picture it? The customers would do a double take

I mean legally can they? Isn’t there a requirement to make above 40k or 48k or something for foreign workers other than OSFW factory workers and Maids who are only allowed to do those jobs

There are tons of foreigners with open work permits.
You didn’t know this??

What, you thought 7-11 was running some kind of a “no whitey” policy??? :rofl:

5 Likes

No never gave it much thought only that I never seen more than a couple foreigners work at convenient stores and restaurants here but have seen many in Korea

1 Like

Culturally they are. You didn’t know this ???

1 Like

:idunno:

at least at restaurants, I see many foreigners.

3 Likes

3 Likes

And I’m not very sure if I could say the difference between Taiwanese and Vietnamese,

3 Likes

Surely there’s an expat kid out there who wants a tea shop or McD summer job. How come we don’t see this?

I saw a white server at On Tap. I was pleasantly surprised.

The owners are foreigners

1 Like

I know, but still the second white Waitress/server Ive seen after 7 yrs. Makes me think its progress. Maybe ill see 3 within 10 years

3 Likes