Intermittent Fasting?

Yeah, I feel like I should be doing something but I don’t know what to do yet.

Do you do a 16/8 or something different?

I too have recently hopped on the IF train. Although I’ve heard autophagy doesnt really kick in until like 36 hours? But I’ve also heard opposite.

I’ve personally been doing a 21:3 schedule. Pretty much one meal a day. Haven’t found it too difficult to be honest. And a bit more focused on work during the day rather than breaking for a lunch and the resulting procrastination immediately after.

1 Like

I do 16:8 a couple/few days a week when my body wants to. I’ll leave it open as an option and if I feel like it that day then start in the morning.

I really want to do some 24 and 48 but I don’t know how to fill all my time and energy. Also trying to hook up with a friend so we can do it together for support.

Another good one.

https://youtu.be/lwCRjwDs1Ek

We are still learning about autophagy, but some studies seem to show it starts around the 16 hour mark and the benefits increase the longer you stay fasting after 16.

1 Like

You recently started and you’re already doing one meal a day? That’s pretty good adapting. Some people take months or longer to get to the schedule like that even for maybe one day a week.

Autophagy occurs with 18 hour fast is what I understand, and hope.

1 Like

I never really ate breakfast growing up, always opting to just lazily sleep in the extra 15 minutes. So I’ve pretty much been doing 16/8 my whole life but not exactly due to the odd banana, candy bar, piece of toast here or there. Going to one meal a day honestly took 0 adapting. My first day I went a full 24 hours without anything other than water and then caved once I saw the gf on food panda. Since then I’ve settled into my current schedule and it’s been going pretty well so far. The hunger is more of a slight annoyance that I cure with some water. Nothing painful or anything like that.

I used to do this as well.

But more recently I use to wake up in the middle of the night to eat a can of tuna or a shake. And some eggs for breakfast before returning to bed for a few extra hour of sleep. But this is pretty extreme for when I was training a few hours 5-6 times a week.

The fasting is somewhat easier with how much Italians take coffee breaks here. I drink 1-2 cups of espresso during breaks.

I didn’t keep my fast the last few days. Been so crazy busy with handling things from different time zones at odd hours. I feel pretty bad. Really tired around 1-2 again. I really hate this feeling vs a level of sharpness from fasting.

I’ve been off keto and IF some recently.

Still working out but yeah getting that low energy and sleepy feeling occasionally and missing the euphoria and extra energy.

still going strong here. I vary from about a 19-5 schedule to a 23-1. I will say months ago I was eating absolute garbage at night. Candy, ice cream, beer. … just shit.

Lately because I’m only eating once or twice at the most I make sure to fill up on healthy foods and I don’t waste any time eating crap.

However the other day I did cheat and have some candy and ice cream at night after my main meal… (im terrible)… and wound up getting super anxious and depressed the next day. Unlike any other time before. Maybe from just shocking my body? idk.

Other than that, definitely more focused lately

1 Like

I have to sleep early or else I will get too hungry around 12am. It upsets my stomach sometimes when I’m hungry late night.

Sleeping early after a large meal is next to impossible for me unfortunately . after the initial crash im way too hyper . might be eating too much fruit

Beer? Garbage? Excuse me?

1 Like

How did you guys switch from, say, having breakfast to pushing your first meal all the way up to noon? Gradually? Or more like cold turkey? I want to try IF with the 16/8 regimen. Today is my first day and my idea is to ease into this gradually. But maybe that will just make things harder.

Coffee. But don’t over do it or you’ll feel really jittery and maybe anxious.

Also water and even tea helps. It’s actually not too hard for me. And plus I save a lot of time in the morning. Extra time for sleep! I save about 40-50$ a week by not eating breakfast. Close to 200$ a month.

2 Likes

Gradually do it all gradually. If you can’t do it one day don’t worry just try the next day till you slowly build up. Black coffee. ACV. Also helps to remove sugars at regular meals.

1 Like

I made it to 10 am with some hot tea at around 9:30 am. The tea really helped and I could’ve waited a bit longer. I’ll stretch it out a bit longer tomorrow. And I’ll try the vinegar idea.

I messed up this morning with my usual coffee with one spoon of sugar and cream. Years of habit. I’ll have it black tomorrow.

I’ve been having a low calorie lunch and no snack until dinner for some time now so dealing with hunger pangs isn’t a total surprise to me (I mean how it comes and goes and doesn’t just keep getting worse and worse). But I haven’t been without breakfast in some time. Interesting. Not that bad, really.

My brother and I both started intermittent fasting together about 2 months ago.

My brother has been doing the 16:8 fast for 2 months now. He lost over 10 kilos so far and though he didn’t get any bigger, he is ripped now, probably due to loss of fat %age (he’s been bodybuilding for 7 years).

I took a different route. I started with 24 hour of water-only fast each week, later increased to 48 hours / week, and then for a while I was doing 72 hours fast per week too. I have stopped for a few weeks now, but I plan to resume soon. I also lost about 7 kilos, and currently maintaining my weight.

Overall I think fasting has been beneficial to both of us, more than any specific diet. Even though we following different fasting schedules, we are both benefiting from it.

One other difference is my that brother eats much healthier food compared to me on a daily basis (low on carbs), while I eat normally during the days that I don’t fast. Personally, I think personally his results are much better, given he exercises daily and eats a lot healthier than me.

1 Like

100% agree.
I do coffee and light bfast in morning.
Soupy lunch.
Decent dinner (lightish on carbs) and no beer. Works for me.

Did try and still trying my best.