Iphone 4G when is it coming to Taiwan?

[quote=“Forze”]Hi

Three days ago there was some shop in Shilin nighmarket selling (or atleast advertising) Iphone 4 for 18800NTD it’s safe to buy one of those and do them have any warranty? I am sorry I have been in Taiwan only for one week, so I don’t know the adress of the shop.

Matti[/quote]

Last time I was there a few weeks ago it was 33k. It is a jail broken US model, meaning you are reliant on the jailbreak to get the unlock required for it to work here and the resale value here is shite. They advertised 28k then when I got there they said, oh that’s with a contract. I told them to piss off. Looks like they are trying to dump them now the official ones are on the way. Looks like their BATNA collapsed. LOL @ horrible negotiation skills. You should seriously go in there and low ball them for 10k. Their BATNA is to hold on to something that nobody here would want once they know what it is.

With the iPhone 4 coming soon to Taiwan. I’ve been curious, as I haven’t really gone out of my way to look, as to if the 3rd party cellphone vendors/shops have started to carry iPhone 4 compatible accessories, such as screen protectors, back protectors (you’ll need one) and cases/covers/sleeves? If so, any good recommended shops in Taipei? The local authorized cell carriers and big name dept. stores all still have only the 3GS accessories, which don’t fit.

I know a ton of companies online have only now started carrying them in full inventory, but many don’t or charge a lot to ship internationally, so I figure I’d look locally, here in Taipei.

So is it really coming out tomorrow? REALLY?

I don’t know. Saw an ad for the iPad on the side of a bus this morning.

mpro.emome.net/?chid=90

People who placed pre-orders before:
12:30 for 16GB
11:30 for 32GB

Will be separated into 2 waves, the first wave will be able to collect their phones starting 17/9, the second wave starting 20/9, you will receive an email telling you which wave you are in.

People who placed pre-orders after the cutoff times will be notified when they can collect their phones. No specific time is set yet.

For people wandering, my confirmation email says that my pre-order was processed at 11:31, I shit you not!

The iPad ads are placed by Global Mobile. They are importing iPads and offering them to promote their WiMAX contracts. Prices are $20-30k (16GB-64GB model) with a $429/m 2-year WiMAX contract, and slightly less if you sign a $729 or $929 contract. They are the Wi-Fi only models, and since they are grey-imports you are SOL for warranty etc. The iPads obliviously won’t work directly on GM’s WiMAX network, you’d need a Wi-FI/WiMAX access point.

If you want an iPad you’d be much better off importing one yourself.

Sweet, I’m in the first wave - Friday, here I come!

Interesting that there’s no mention of price anywhere…

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]Sweet, I’m in the first wave - Friday, here I come!

Interesting that there’s no mention of price anywhere…[/quote]

Just to clarify that those details are only for pre-orders with Chunghua Telecom, I’ll leave it up to others to find out what’s going on for those who ordered with Far EasTone or Taiwan Mobile.

Second wave for me. Im not sure how I’ll be able to wait the extra 3 days. :frowning:

Now I just need to find someone to FaceTime with…

I didn’t even get a second e-mail yet. :frowning: Sucks to be me.

send your peeps on the other side of the pond some ipod touchés :slight_smile:

I could Skype with them, but that would be so 2009…

I could Skype with them, but that would be so 2009…[/quote]

2009 is so last decade

Tell me about it! They didn’t even have iPads then. How did people survive?!?

Tell me about it! They didn’t even have iPads then. How did people survive?!?[/quote]

I think they wrote on cave walls using limestone or something. Something about sundials also.

I heard they used something called a “stylus”. Ugh.

Lol, I have an iPhone 4 and been using it to keep in touch with my wife and kids back home in Los Angeles. FaceTime is awesome, if you get past some issues like routers and network congestion. I’ve been using it over 3G, which makes it a TON more useful. I actually prefer FaceTime conversations over the phone than just standard phone calls and skype. The picture quality over good solid 3G rivals that of Skype over Wi-Fi at times, cuz lately Skype’s video quality has a lot of congestion. If you do pure Wi-Fi, the picture quality is pristine, assuming you have fast internet attached to that WI-Fi!

If the future all computers and portable electronics came with FaceTime, I’d whole heartily support it! FaceTime is great for friends and family, not so sure about strangers… you could end up seeing anatomy that you really didn’t want to, ala Chatroulette. (FaceTime roulette? /shiver)

If you are ever curious about testing out FaceTime, I’d be willing to test it out with you. Send me a PM, just no SexyTime.

For those reading that are planning on picking up the iPhone 4. Set some money aside for accessories. Some people don’t think about this aspect of buying the phone, because they are so excited and pent-up about waiting for the handset itself. The iPhone 4, for obvious reasons, will not fit properly in cases designed around the 3GS, unless you don’t mind ghetto rigging stuff.

You’ll honestly want a screen protector for the back and maybe even the front. These two parts made out of glass, but apparently the front is more scratch-RESISTANT (not -proof). Don’t believe the hype about Gorilla glass, actual owner testimonials after using the Iphone 4 indicate the back is scratch-prone and has the potential to shatter, if dropped too many time or if it lands just right/just wrong.

You’ll probably want one of the following: A) bumper and/or antenna-covering sticker or B) full side and back enclosing case. This is to negate the supposed antenna attenuation issue. I personally haven’t been impacted by it, but I know of people that have encountered it. Even a little vinyl sticker (ie. Luckylabs or Zagg side protectors) seems to counter act the problem. You can go with a bumper if you want all around the edge protection. The full side and back enclosed cases are good for the signal problem and protecting the back glass, if you don’t want to put a back glass protector on.

You may want to consider cleaning solution and cleaning cloth, for both front and back are fingerprint magnets.

Most other accessories will work with it… like chargers, docks, add-on battery packs via the dock connector. Just know though, the bumpers added thickness will prevent normal docking. These are just some food for thought for new or soon-to-be iphone 4 owners.

Got a call from Zhonghua today saying I can go and pick up my pre-ordered phone Friday at 2pm. I’m as yet uncertain whether these are the new wave of phones Apple supposedly has in the pipeline for September that have a slightly re-engineered antenna to avoid ‘deathgrip’. If they’re not I may not go for it, I’d suppose the chances are slim. Anyone know?

Thanks for the tips, Merrick. Did you get a free bumper? What is the procedure for that?

Plasmatron, if there were new re-engineered iPhone4s, we would have heard of it. These are the same ones that everyone else has, but most of the owners I’ve heard from, such as Merrick here, find it to be a non-issue, so I wouldn’t be too worried about it if I were you, and focus on the features it does have that put it on top.