Is 9 NTD mil enough to buy an apartment in Taipei and obtain a permanent visa?

Hello,
7 years ago i visited and attended two courses of mandarin language in Taiwan. Since then i dreamed to get back in Taipei to live and legally work there. Me (italian) and my wife (indonesian) have a 6 years old daughter.
Buying an apartment would allow us to legally and stabily live and have a look for job opportunities there ?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

In short, no. There are investment and entrepreneur visas available, but you need to either start a business or invest in a business (or invest even more in government bonds). Just buying an apartment won’t get you a resident visa, and NT$9 million wouldn’t get you much apartment in Taipei anyway.

6 Likes

Thanks for your answer. You are right, as i supposed 9 millions aren’t enough.

Many other ways, though. If you don’t mind sharing, what’s your and your wife’s job, qualifications, and does either of you currently make more than the equivalent of 160k NTD per month?

I am a trainee lawyer. My wife works as shop assistant (part time contract) in Milan becauae she is fluent in chinese mandrin. Many chinese people enjoy doing shopping here.
Despite our efforts, we barely earn 2300 euros/monts.

So how do you have 9 million NT?

2000 euros a month seems equivalent to about 30,000 nt a month in terms of income for similar jobs in Taiwan.

1 Like

You can still buy a 3 bedrooms old aparment (80") in Taipei for around that money after renovation, they ask 9 millions and you could offer around 7.

2 Likes

According to Cost of Living Comparison Between Milan, Italy And Taipei, Taiwan, OP’s 2300 Euro/mo (if after tax) income in Milan is equivalent to making NT$70K in Taipei.

I’m basing on what a realistic wage is for the OP’s job. 70,000NT a month is middle to upper management income. It doesn’t sound like the OP is at that level.

Cost of living comparison doesn’t account for how much various position pays in various countries. For example a retail worker in say Australia can realistically expect an income of over 100,000 NT a month but in Taiwan you’d only get that as a store manager of a large store such as Carrefour hypermarket (not those little stores that opened up recently).

If the OP works in law, that’s not going to transfer to Taiwan because the laws are different. He should instead specialize in trade laws since import and export is a big thing here.

1 Like

I’ll never understand why people buy in the Taipei/New Taipei mkt. Insanely overpriced. And renting is so affordable. I suggest finding a nice place to rent.

1 Like

I don’t think rent is affordable, maybe for forumosa who get pay more than the avegare in Taipei.

Realistically in Belgium you’d get about 1800 Euros gross/month. 1400-1500 net/month.

1 Like

Where in Taipei can you buy for that price??

As far as the OP’s local pay equivalent, nobody without at least a Bachelor’s is going to crack 50K/mo. Even illegally.

Yeah it’s a waste of time considering Taiwan. Move somewhere else in Europe maybe. Or Hong Kong or something.
Also Indonesians are not going to have an easy time either getting legal employment .

Yes examples please.
Exactly what kind of 3bdroom apt goes for 8 million ntd in the Taipei area.

1 Like

Buying won’t help you with a visa. The budget itself is enough to buy “something”. You can get a taofang starting at 4 mil. If it doesn’t have to be Taipei but can be somewhere else on the island, you can get much better prices.

You might have to search for a while and it will be an old one with no elevator and a weird layout, most likely. Most foreigners would prefer something more modern. Renovation will be required.

Just one example:
https://www.sinyi.com.tw/buy/house/90547K

1 Like

It’s going to be some heap of shit, nothing to do with foreigners preferences, whatever the hell that means :joy:.

2 Likes

OK

That Daan apt obviously has some serious issue behind it.
Please investigate and report back .:sunglasses:

Not sure if the apartment is the one with the serious issues. So long!

1 Like