Is America in decline?

Yeah. I don’t believe that all of this talk of a pushback against China will result in any significant declines in Chinese trade in the near future.

And to answer the original question, I don’t think America is in decline, either.

1 Like

Koreans now hate China more than Japan.

1 Like

Great, but the Korean government won’t dare to be visibly anti China. None of these polls mean shit.

What does matter are actual alliances with substance, like the Aukus or maybe the TPP.

Depends on who’s in power. The current Moon government, definitely not. The right wingers would.

And what would they do?

Things like THAAD and other military cooperation with the US.

That was a quick reversal. What do you think these actual alliances do? :laughing:

The AUKUS is a military alliance.

The TPP one would be an economic one, but it doesn’t matter as Trump took the US out of it.

I just said China will have a higher nominal GDP than the US in the next 15 years, not sure why that gets your goat. They have 1.3 billion people

China is by far Korea’s biggest trading partner and they also hate Japan. They aren’t going to turn against China

There are already calls in the Korean media to lessen dependence on China.

At the end of the day, they need the US for defense.

1 Like

OK and what does that amount to? Moving factories to Vietnam?

Yes, already happening.

So basically nothing

That is in itself incredibly stupid. It basically means that China is giving up its most advanced sectors to focus on fields where there are established leaders. The US, for one, would never push Facebook or Amazon to refocus on manufacturing.

The optics of trade reliance on China always overlook the fact that China is reliant on other countries as well. China’s relations have turned sour with Australia for more than a year now and how has Australia been affected?

1 Like

This is what they are doing and more so they are also changing the whole investment landscape to dissuade investment in consumer tech and more info deep tech like semiconductors or AI. Whether it’s stupid or not, we will see.

Yeah if China was to do similar that it did to Australia , then maybe. But Korea can’t move it’s geography.

But anyway, the original claim was that Asia is joining together against China, and it’s not in any meaningful way

That’s funny considering that countries most far away to China are basically lapdogs to China compared to countries far more reliant on and geographically closer China like Japan, Taiwan, and Australia.

By lapdogs I mean Europe. More specifically, Germany.

1 Like

Japan and Taiwan are special cases though. China quite clearly wants to use economic leverage to hurt Japan or possibly hurt it militarily if it has the chance. The CCP has sent student protests to attack it’s embassies or companies there on numerous occasions. Anti Japanese medka is at a peak and the ccp is clearly trying to whip up fervour.

Taiwan is at war with China and doesn’t need to be explained

It doesn’t. I celebrate their GDP. It’s about time. I simply do not feel that that alone puts them above the US in any meaningful geopolitical way. On top of that, the massive domestic debt load is just starting to unravel. That sparkly GDP can drop real fast.

Fine, that’s a separate discussion

Then I don’t really get it. Why would other countries not join an alliance against China for reasons like economic retaliation when two of the most interconnected economies to China don’t even try to sugarcoat their distaste?

Anyway this is off-topic. Back to America. While I don’t think the American economy is on decline. Actually I would say it’s probably the best performing economy along with China in the 2010s all things considered. It is however in severe decline in terms of society and politics. Gap between rich and poor is so, so big it’s almost comical, which obviously contributes to one social and political unrest after another. This problem is of course observed across the world but America is wayyyyy ahead of the curve. Today America’s suicide rate is one of the highest in the world and is also the only developed country with a declining life expectancy (which was already the lowest amongst all first world countries).

Also, I think people in many young democracies such as Taiwan used look up to US democracy. You know, the US Constitution, court system, rule of law, and politics in general. Now I don’t think anyone can look at the American political scene with any sort of reverence. If that wasn’t clear before 2020, it definitely is now. It’s a cautionary tale how a country with one of the longest history of democratic practices got to this point. Britain is kind of in the similar boat, just not to the same extent.

4 Likes