Is buying a "big bike" in Taiwan stupid? Most would say yes

Wow, sounds like a blast. Ah, how times change. I only buy British bike mags, they are the only interesting bike mags to read. Bike and Performance Bikes are great mags. From what I read, people in the UK are really big into bikes. Is that true?

Don’t really know, as I haven’t lived there for nearly 20 years. I had a bunch of big bikes when I were a nipper, though, and knew all the “good” roads up north, including the several-mile, dead straight, gently rollercoasting stretch near Cape Wrath where you could see the entire length of the road and the only traffic was the postman’s van (once per day). That was the only place I ever redlined my Laverda in top gear and kept it there for minutes at a time.

OK I’m done. After reading my own posts it’s obvious that I’m just jealous. I miss my big bike, too. I sold it THE DAY i left for taiwan because I wanted to ride to the last drop. I think the problem is that all I ever see IS the big packs of newbies yawning there way my playgrounds in Nantou. I’ve been through Taiwan from head to toe many times and yes the roads are sick, the weather, too… it’s all great. I think I just like pushing the limits of stuff (arguements included) and feel that the limit for big bikes can’t be challenged here without serious stupidity. The fun roads can’t safely be riden any faster than my modified 250cc scooter. Lets face it… we can all afford big bikes here if we wanted to. It’s just that so far I haven’t been able to justify it other than the awe factor.

That mustang was just a phase when I was younger because I thought that big engines were the key to a good ride and they were the the cheapest to modify. I wasn’t showing off then either. I lust like to go fast, and save money.

Hey listen guys, I came off pretty harsh. The last thing I want to do is make enemies on here. Sometimes I just like to disagree for the debate.

No worries…it was fun while it lasted…someone needed to take the opposing side to this debate. Glad it was someone mature enough to come around in the end.

You can rent a 600cc bike for 3000 or less in a few places…including Taipei (of course) and Kenting…I think Kenting would be a great place to rent one…then you could head up the east coast and back down again…and relax your sore wrists in a nice Kenting Hotel.

Yeah, don’t worry about it turkey_dinner. No ill feelings here. If I pass by Nantou sometime I might give you a ring. You could show me around to the twisties.

Hey Mordeth–I’m heading down to Ilan Sunday morning–will hit the Ping Xi -Suang Xi-Fu Long Route–I’ll be the red white and blue Rg 250
blur that you see passing you. Hope to see ya :slight_smile:

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”] I’ll be the red white and blue Rg 250
blur that you see passing you. Hope to see ya :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hee hee… :smiley: I think he’s calling you out Mordeth. Get out the pink slips.

You sure you’re going riding this Sunday? weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast … cCode=TAIX

Why is it that CNN’s weather report contradicts so much with the Taiwan goverments: cwb.gov.tw/V4e/index.htm

Was wondering about that, myself. Still it hasn’t been the ideal weekend for roadtrips and outdoor activities, so far. Crappy weather.

Well I just did 90km/hr for the first time in Taiwan on a bike*! I went on the raised expressway that they opened up to bikes with yellow plates. It was interesting…it’s 24 km long and goes from the mountains to the ocean. It’s the number 68…starts on the ocean then goes to Ju-dong. Very windy though since the road is up high and no buildings to block the wind. It felt so safe though…no stray dogs…U-turners…etc.

I had hoped to see some other BBBers out today…but evidently…they are all pussies. Or don’t know how to dress for the cold…one of the two. I had about 6 layers on my upper body…my only problem was keeping my speed up so I wouldn’t start sweating.

legally

:eh: Canada is a BIG place and definately not all flat straight roads. Actually going to the prairies (Canada/US) is fun once in awhile, safest place outside of a track to see the world go by at 250 kph… And there are places where the winter is almost identical to Taipei’s, and as such able to be enjoyed most of the year.

But then that pretty much describes any country in the world besides the 3rd World, although I did see a group of CBR’s in Cambodia having a blast… :astonished:

Besides the cost, the reasons I won’t by a big (strange saying this as at home there is no such thing as “small” bikes) bike here are cost, traffic (Im not a big fan of having to get up at 5am to enjoy a road), tight roads with very very few opportunities to open up (safely), and lack of any driving sense amongst the population. Still occasionaly envious of beautiful stretches of road and catch myself saying “if only I had my ZX600 here…” But I can still enjoy them on my scooter. Not quite as fun, but still enjoyable…

Freakin’ Amazing wrote: “Canada is a BIG place and definately not all flat straight roads. Actually going to the prairies (Canada/US) is fun once in awhile, safest place outside of a track to see the world go by at 250 kph… And there are places where the winter is almost identical to Taipei’s, and as such able to be enjoyed most of the year.”

Actually, I’m Canadian myself so I’m familiar with its climate and terrain. I never said Canada was all flat straight roads. I just said “the roads are big.” The only place where the winter weather is close to that in Taiwan is Vancouver, and even there it snows on rare occasions. I don’t doubt that there are some places where you could ride all year long (though uncomfortably in winter and spring) in Canada. But people in the other 90% of Canada have to garage their bikes during winter, which is about 5 months of the year. Not saying that it is ideal to ride everyday in Taiwan in winter, but at least it’s possible (no snow or ice on the roads).

I agree about the cost being too high and lack of sense drivers have in Taiwan. But there are places in Taiwan where you can ride fast and safely (to an extent). Even in Canada, driving fast on open deserted roads is dangerous. I’ve had a few close calls with deer and bears running across the road in Canada. Hit one of those and you’re dead. I think the pros and cons of owning a big bore bike differs in different countries.

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]Not saying that it is ideal to ride everyday in Taiwan in winter, but at least it’s possible (no snow or ice on the roads).[/quote]I must be one of very few people who have the dubious distinction of having dropped their bike on ice in Taiwan!

Gotta becareful of those pesky ice cubes falling out of your ice tea. Almost dropped mine like that way too. Serves me right for drinking around my bike. :smiley: But to be serious, there aren’t many places (except high elevation mountains, and only on a handful of extreme winter days) that you would run into ice on the road in Taiwan.

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]Gotta becareful of those pesky ice cubes falling out of your ice tea.[/quote]:lol: [quote=“KawasakiRider”]But to be serious, there aren’t many places (except high elevation mountains, and only on a handful of extreme winter days) that you would run into ice on the road in Taiwan.[/quote]Yes, it was on Taiwan’s highest public road on Hehuanshan.

Weather here’s much better for biking than in Britain as well.

Which Big Bike Shop would you say has the biggest selection (I’m talking Jap bikes here) I’m in the market for a big bike with a plate.

I went riding Sunday—weather was beautiful thank you non-believers and fair weather riders.

Bubba 2 Guns, many of the big bike shops will rip you off. It is better to buy from private importers. Which model are you looking for? I know most of the shops in Taipei, and can certainly find you any bike you want for far less than you would pay at a dealer. PM if you need any help, I would be glad to introduce to some honest shops in Taipei. My buddy who owns a shop in Chung-Her can get any bike at cost so let me know.

I just ran into one of these the other day on the number 3 it has a 2300cc engine:

Quite the impressive sight. The guy paid 1,100,000 NT for it (according to him). I too, would like to own a cruiser one day…but I think I’ll get an 800cc Suzuki Harley wannabe. Once I’ve finished paying off my sportsbike that is.

According to my sources, so far 4 very misguided locals have been parted with their NT$ million and change in return for Hinckley’s most ridiculously over the top cruiser ever…

I say misguided since I really don’t think its the bike for Taiwanese roads, but I hear they actually handle pretty well and the torque goes without saying on a 2.4 liter road hog… excess for the masses… :smiling_imp: