Is buying a "big bike" in Taiwan stupid? Most would say yes

Is it true can ride bike all year around? Thought it rained alot?

I ride all year long, not everyday though. And about rain, northern Taiwan does get more rain than the south, but it doesn’t rain as much as some think. Places like Vancouver are far wetter than Taipei.

Hey guys…check out this pic click on thumbnail for full size…mmmmmm.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Hey guys…check out this pic click on thumbnail for full size…mmmmmm.

[/quote]
What a stupid idiot – he’s going to RUIN his jacket AND his trousers.

This one is better…cause it’s during an actual race…not just a guy showing off.

Oh…I have some interesting information for those of you with quicker bikes…or scooters for that matter. I have an expressway near my house…it’s raised and it’s for cars only. I’ve heard that if you get caught riding on it the fines are very steep…in the thousands. I tried riding under it…but there are many small intersections…and because there is little traffic under it…people coming flying onto the road under it from these intersections running red light and whatnot without even looking. So riding underneath these expressways from my experience is even more dangerous than riding on other roads. And now for the interesting bit…Riding on raised “Highways” (they have a flower with a number in it) carries a 3-6 thousand dollar fine. But riding on raised “Expressways” (they have an upside-down rounded off blue triangle with a number in it) carries a 600 dollar fine. I’m not suggesting anything…just thought it was some good trivia…that’s all. :wink:

I’ve “heard” that you can often see a red 12GS BMW and a green Z1000 Kwak belting down the Zhong Tou express ways and I’ve “heard” that nothing untowards has happened so far… the cops don’t seem to mind much as long as you don’t ride like a fool, indicate lane changes etc. or so i “hear”…

I have also heard that the proper “highway” cops in their BMW 5 series cars like nothing better than compensating for their lack of endowment in the wang department by coming down on big bikers with an iron fist if they stray onto the highway…

Remember the good old days when big bore bikes were illegal. Those were exciting times. Dodging cops, being chased by the cops. We used to ride on the expressways all the time to avoid the city and cops altogether. Kinda miss those crazy times. I haven’t been on an expressway since I have been riding legit bikes.

^^^ Oh hell yeah. It’s hilarious coming to a tollbooth on the freeway at 2am with 20 or 30 bikes, going through the yellow lane and paying your NT$40. The girls look like they don’t know whether to take your change, run and hide, call the army out or what :laughing:

Or so I’ve heard :blush:

Hey plasma…I got my check in the mail 5060 dollars…no need to go to the DMV and demand a refund. The check went to my boss who got it two days ago…and forgot to call me, hmmm. But when I called him and said he’d have to go down to the DMV with me…he’s like…ohhh…I got that check already…two days ago.

Well, that’s good news for you plasma…and Kwak too I’m sure.

EDIT: just re-read this post and at no point do I really say what I’m talking about. :blush: I’m refering to the fact that they lowered the yearly plate taxes on Big Bikes…but at the begining of the year most people had to pay the full amount for the year.

Hey, I saw another foreign member of the BBB the other week. A GIRL! She was riding a 1000cc Kwaker with a half fairing and a custom paint and decal job…I thought it looked great. She had a British flag painted along the front and side of her bike…with a bulldog ripping through her gas tank. I didn’t get a good look at the girl…but my bike is in the shop getting some custom paint done as well…and the owner of the shop mentioned a white girl was in there recently doing a British flag…and I was like “Oh yeah… I saw that bike…it looked sweet.” Small world. But she probably lives in Taoyuan or there abouts.

That would be Liza…she’s a friend of our northern foreign legion!..she’s quite a decent rider…

what is this about you doing custom paint on the RR…I wonder what you’ll come up with?..Full motoGP Repsol colors perhaps?..that would add at least 30hp!!!..or are you sticking to fuorescent yellow with 80’s style laser stripes? :wink:

[quote=“skylarkpuma”]

That would be Liza…she’s a friend of our northern foreign legion!..she’s quite a decent rider…

what is this about you doing custom paint on the RR…I wonder what you’ll come up with?..Full motoGP Repsol colors perhaps?..that would add at least 30hp!!!..or are you sticking to fuorescent yellow with 80’s style laser stripes? :wink:[/quote]

Ohhh, you didn’t wanna open this can of worms…but you did. Here it goes…ahem. Well I know cutom paint jobs for sports bikes are kinda cheesy…But…I gotta do something to cover all the scratches YOU put on the bike. Thank you…I am done.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“skylarkpuma”]

what is this about you doing custom paint on the RR…I wonder what you’ll come up with?..Full motoGP Repsol colors perhaps?..that would add at least 30hp!!!..or are you sticking to fuorescent yellow with 80’s style laser stripes? :wink:[/quote]

Ohhh, you didn’t wanna open this can of worms…but you did. Here it goes…ahem. Well I know cutom paint jobs for sports bikes are kinda cheesy…But…I gotta do something to cover all the scratches YOU put on the bike. Thank you…I am done.[/quote]

Touch up paint would have sufficed bro…so, having a few scratches is hardly enough of a reason to get squid paint!! :raspberry:

Hey look UKbikerchic. I was talking about you months and months ago…before you were on this forum.

EDIT: Not “months and months”…it’s a year ago next week. Neat.

i haven’t read all the comments, but here goes my comments

I love my bike and i don’t regret spending the money at all. i have been to places in Taiwan that i dont’ think i would have seen if i didn’t have a big bike.
I have met wonderful people both locals and foriegn through the BBB.

i got my bike resprayed (and my helmet ) for two reasons,

1. i love to be original and to stand out (you know being the quiet girl i am)
  2. because i was sick of people asking me if i was american.

There are many girl riders now, most are pretty cool. Still haven’t met any more foreign girl riders though.

At every oppotunity i get on my bike and get out of town.

All i can say is if you don’t have a bike, i pity you :raspberry:

And if anyone took the piss out of me, well they would have to deal with the wrath of a british bitch (which is to say i would stick something very hot up where the sun don’t shine :smiling_imp: )

I’m sure i’ve met some of the riders on this forum but i have no idea who is who with all these nick names. Hope to see you all on the roads when this bloody weather clears up.

I would’ve thought the rain would make you feel right at home. :wink:

:raspberry:

i will agree with what liza said… there’s many places i’ve been that i would never have gone on a scoot… even though i did ride with a scoot club before i got the hornet

the hornet, thanks to it’s light weight handles very well in traffic, so i don’t really miss the scooter in heavy traffic… only when i need to go shopping or park in an unsafe area…

it’s much easier to overtake cars… thanks to the extra power…

much more reliable than my old scoot too…

the bigger tyres and better suspension also make the ride much nicer over potholes and the like, tho i did harden it a little for better cornering…

i’d like to upgrade to a yellow plate if i could afford it, but looking at how my finances end up every month lately, that doesn’t seem to be happening for quite a while…

oh, and as for the rocket iii… i’ve always wanted one as a second bike…they are huge mofos and beautiful beasty looking things… if u’ve never seen one and you live in taichung, head to the kawasaki dealership on da-dun 11th… they have two of them on the showroom floor

[quote=“x08”]

I’d like to upgrade to a yellow plate if I could afford it, but looking at how my finances end up every month lately, that doesn’t seem to be happening for quite a while… [/quote]

I make the same or less than most, about 50k a month. And with that I bought a 400k bike in 4 months (bank loan), but the monthly payments killed me…so I sold it. I rode it for a full 8 months though…so I got my money’s worth. And now I saved up over 120k in 4 months to buy the Ninja. I’m still getting a bank loan but the payments are going to be half of what I was paying for the CBR…so I should be fine.

If I can get the money together, anyone can.

My roommate was making double what I make. And he still ALWAYS had 0.00 dollars in the bank. Taiwanese people can get by making 15k a month…I can get by making 20k. If you aren’t able to save money…you just need to change your lifestyle a bit. Sacrifice.