Is dating hard for East Asian guys in the West?

Have you ever kissed your date?

I’m speaking Australian.

That’s a rose of a ramble.
You get Dead. So lucky.

2 Likes

As a woman (well, almost a woman), yeah. Women can be difficult.

1 Like

Holy crap. This thread has a bazillion responses.

Yeah, but most of them you meet at work, where they have to behave.

[quote=“Taiwan_Luthiers, post:371, topic:200474”]

What does that even mean?

One must be of sufficient age!

Her transition is not yet complete.

2 Likes

Maybe she’s under 18 … So, not a child, but not old enough to be a woman …

I’m just saying that when I was growing up and living in America, most of my life I struggled really hard with women. It felt like a constant battle. Even when a girl was interested in me she would lose interest very quickly and it felt like I was always competing with other men for a girls attention. I got so many phone numbers and first dates who just never showed up or with the phone numbers responded past a few texts or calls. I also had to do all of the intiating. On top of that, most (certainly not all) turned out to be either manipulative, drug users, or just selfish and mean.

Of course some of this was my fault too. Sometimes I tried too hard or wasn’t interesting enough to make a big enough impact or there just wasn’t chemistry, but by and large, in America, I constantly felt unnatractive and undesired by women. This lasted most of my life.

Once I started traveling, this all changed significantly. I found that outside America, women in general definitely again not all, seemed to value less shallow things and also were smarter and more ambitious.

When I was living in Taiwan everything changed radically. In Taiwan many women took an interest in me romantically. They were actually nice to me and I went on many pleasant dates. Dating stopped feeling like a battle and my self esteem started to recuperate.

Then I met my now current girlfriend who is amazing. She actually asked me out, which I never thought was possible due to my experiences growing up in America. We grew to love each other and now we are looking at marriage in the near future.

So I definitely think that dating is much much harder, at least for men, in America than in Asia. People in Taiwan specifically seem to be a lot nicer and open minded. They are also more friendly, inviting and real. This has just been from my personal experiences and there have certainly been exceptions to this both in Taiwan as well as America. But as a general statement, I definitely think it’s true.

1 Like

:+1:
it’s good that you didn’t let your previous experiences sour your attitude

Hasn’t been my experience coming to Taiwan. Women mostly ignore me or pretended I did not exist. I actually had a legitimate chance in the US, but in Taiwan, I’m just another Taiwanese.

In fact people in the states have been nicer to me overall. Would hold doors open, etc. and women there do talk to me. But not in Taiwan.

After traveling and meeting women from different places, I’ve found American women the least desirable for me if I was to date again. It feels like to me dating European women that they enjoy dating and it’s not such a awkward experience. They also seem more open minded to dating people of different backgrounds.

This is just my opinion.

1 Like

I found the same in europe too. Actually had really friendly guys at gay saunas and able to spend time with german ladies without them acting like I wanted a relationship with them.

North americans are weird like this. Spend any time with you and they think it’s all relationship so they won’t even do it unless they are attracted to you.

He’s a stoic. We don’t get bitter.

Well you’re welcome. :grin:
[/quote]

Thank You

My experience has been, for friends I have who have taiwanese wives, they have a huge disdain for me. I don’t know why I get hated on by taiwanese women, especially those who married a foreign guy.

Does not happen if the wife is non asian.

Where did you hear that, that is not what my gay male friends in EU told me as far preferences when there (most not all).

It probably helps that in Europe, “dating” as such does not really exist. It is an American trope. Europeans hang out in less formal, non-delineated ways.