:facebook: Is gun control a solution?

You know the Vietnamese were helped by the Soviets and rhe Chinese and they still lost millions of lives.
Not sure what Vietnam war has got to do with US domestic politics and society in reality.

Comparing like countries is helpful.

This is why I disagree. This is Hollywood. People would rather speculate endlessly on would could conceivably happen if every worst case scenario pans out.

Yesterday, my local Assemblywoman sent out an FB blast, saying WE need to have the discussion. WE need to accept what it happening and WE need to do something about it. I wrote back on her page, “Yeah, WE elected you to do that kind of thing. Get to it.”

The problem here is and has been for my entire lifetime an unwillingness of elected officials to do their gd jobs. :grandpa:

One word.

Waco.

Do WE elect the FBI?

Title aside, good article. The forces behind gun violence is as plain as day. Follow the data.

or “wacko”. :wink:

1 Like

Nothing.

I know many of us disagree strongly on the role of guns. But I hope we can still come together to look at this particular issue. It seems a lot of drugs like SSRIs (which can be helpful to many people) is also part of shootings.

Full disclosure it’s written by pro gun people. But it seems the facts check out as I can see. I think it’s something we should consider as well.

Why are some people assuming all those in the military would fight against those with legal guns?
Many in the military would be those said people.

Yes, but there often becomes many sides. People loyal to the current regime, different rebels, opposition, religious extremists, local militias.

I’m interested in this topic as well. Let’s see what the tox reports and prescription history are of these latest shooters.

1 Like

It would then be good to compare with the average number of young adult males taking these drugs in the population . Because the shooters are usually young adult males I believe.

Until education becomes a priority nd implemented, many of these problems wont go away with bans, laws and punishment.

Play the long game. Real (cultural) changes get measured in generations.

btw, how can assault rifles on your property protect you from mass shootings at public spaces?

Because i can carry a side arm in public. At close range, a 45 is meant to stop a 250lb linebacker. It’s more about the accuracy at that range, even a 22 will do if I hit the right area. If i’m far enough for the rifle to really gain an advantage, i’m better off not engaging and moving to safety anyways.

Some more related stat

22-Figure1-1

20190806_074904

20190806_074941

1 Like

It is largely a sensible argument until the conclusion. “Those who truly care about saving innocent lives will focus on things that might actually make a difference. Like whether … realistic first-person shooter video games contribute to mass shootings.” The facts and studies have largely debunked this tripe.

1 Like

You can ban guns but…wait, it’s too late. All the bad guys will still have them. And the incels, if they can’t find a gun, will make their own or use bombs like Timothy McVeigh and kill even more people.

But they’ll probably make their own because they’ve been suckling on the teat of FPS games and get the most satisfaction from that.

It’s not too late.
See how I just destroyed a dumb argument .

Guns are banned in lots of places there.

What do you mean by ‘it’s too late exactly’ !?

1 Like