Is it legal to record a phone call?

Is there some privacy law or other law that prevents me from recording a phone call without informing the other person first? What about if I do inform the other person?
What if the other person is in another country and their laws prevent it?

At least in Taiwan it is illegal to record a conversation without prior permission.

1 Like

Any conversation? So all those videos of people shouting at each other are illegal? Assuming they didn’t get consent before the shouting started.

permission or notification ? all my calls to airlines / car rentals / banks etc are recorded without actually asking me for consent, just notifying me that this is the case.

1 Like

It’s probably enough, you could end the call.

So if I start every conversation, “This call may be recorded.” then it’s fine?

yes, should be, but I’m not a lawyer, if its critical ask one.

I don’t suppose saying it in English is acceptable.

If the conversation is going to be in English, I think that would be acceptable, since if it went to court you could argue that the other person on the call could understand. Ultimately, you would need to prove that the other person knew the call was being recorded, the way you let them know is probably irrelevant.

2 Likes

Is it illegal only over the phone?

How about if I get a friend to stand beside them on their end of the phone and record while they are talking to me?

There might be laws for the electronic version back home but don’t know about Taiwan.

I had a call from a company in the uk once. They said they record for training purposes. I said I will record too. They told me I was not allowed and hung up.

13 Likes

That was what they were trained to do :stuck_out_tongue::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I can never find the best thread about this when I’m looking for it in a hurry, but this is one that’s easy to find.

Tldr: You need a legitimate reason to record a private conversation without consent.

1 Like

I think might be risking very important point. I have been told by acouple overnment agencies that recording is fine if not shared/posted and used for court cases. These were about custody of children as well a violence from the mother. But then again, the government has told me many things in the past that were wrong and/or illegal…so a lawyer is good.

I record everything then just ask the lawyer if it can be used. I find it very convenient court rooms wont.let people make a record of their case…its pretty dumb.

2 Likes

Have you ever made an official application for permission to record a hearing? Just curious.

Nope

You mean you can record people if the conversation is not used for court cases? What’s the point of recording a conversation if you can’t do either?

Used for court cases. Share with police etc. Not for posting on facebook and that kind of nonsense.

1 Like

That can be quite subjective…

2 Likes

That does indeed tend to be the legal intentions of government here. Make it grey. Its the political version of “kill em all, let god sort it out”. In this case, the judges are gods.

1 Like