Is it Tienmu or Tianmu?

What is the traditional spelling for (Tienmu/Tianmu). One is Hanyu pinyin and one is the tradional way no?

Also, after I know the proper spelling TRADITIONALLY did people write it Tien Mu or Tienmu or TienMu?

Hee - I’m afraid I don’t know, but it seems the auto-censor has a rather strong opinion on the matter…

That auto censor is crap. Come on guys, I can’t even ask a question here. Darn Hanyu Pinyin Nazis! :wink:

1. Was it tradionally with an “e” or with an “a”?
  2. Was it tradionally separated into two words or one word.
  3. Traditionally was it all lowercase or was “mu” in uppercase?

Traditionally it was probably spelt Tienmu, Tien-Mu, Dien-Moo, Tienmoo, TienMoo, TienMu, TianMoo, Tiangmu, Tee-enn-muu, Umniat or Tiengmu, or all of them at once on the same sign.

Hahahahaah…lets not go into a Tongyong Hanyu pinyin debate, been there, done that ad nauseum. Please, please please, lets stay on topic!

“Traditionally” is a problematic word when it comes to romanization in Taiwan, especially for places that aren’t on lists of official place names.

Hanyu Pinyin: Tianmu (current official system in Taipei, which Tianmu belongs to)
Tongyong Pinyin: Tianmu
MPS2: Tianmu (Taiwan’s official system from 1986 until the adoption of Tongyong)
Wade-Giles: T`ien-mu (but often spelled – incorrectly – in bastardized form: Tienmu) (Wade-Giles was never Taiwan’s official romanization system.)
Gwoyeu Romatzyh: Tianmuu (Taiwan’s official romanization system until 1986.)

Until about five years ago or so, the form most commonly seen was probably “Tienmu,” which, as I noted above, is incorrect in all major romanization systems.

It was not separated into two words. (It isn’t two words.)
“Mu” did not and should not appear in upper case.

:notworthy: Cranky, thank-you, very helpful. :notworthy: