Is It Time to Allow the American South to just Sink in the Mud?

a what kids? What’s a pickaninny?

2 Likes

Pickaninny (also picaninny , piccaninny or pickinninie ) is a word applied originally by people of the West Indies to their babies and more widely referring to small children. It is a pidgin word form, derived from the Portuguese pequenino (“very small”,[1] a diminutive version of the word pequeno , ‘small’, also used in Spanish, spelled pequeñito ) and subsequently used in Canada and the U.S. as a racial slur referring to a dark-skinned child of African descent. In modern sensibility, the term implies an archaic depiction or caricature used in a derogatory and racist sense.

2 Likes

A racist deragatory term for African-Americans.

because they were fighting to preserve slavery and those same racist ideas have resurfaced in 2016 Trump America.

1 Like

Lee had no real strategy. If you had to sum up their strategy, Lee and Davis proposed to inflict sufficient pain (casualties, terror, and property destruction) to make the North sue for peace. The AONV just wandered in and out of the Shenandoah Valley, basically.

Lee could have taken Washington in 1861-62 if he’d wanted. He didn’t want to; he just wanted the North to back down.

1 Like

The American Civil War was basically the prelude to WW1. People didn’t pick up on it at the time, which is understandable.

I went to high school in Texas on the border. Since there is a significant military presence here I lived, there were also many kids who moved to Texas from the South with their parents.

Sometimes I hear stuff like calling people wetbacks, and they should swim back to their side of the Rio Grande from a couple classmates. I remember because I had to look up what wetback means.

They were all pretty nice to me though.

At least people learned to dig trenches after the Civil War, instead of just standing there waiting to be shot by accurate rifles.

The Union seige of Petersburg was actually a precursor to the trench warfare used in WWI.

3 Likes

Yeah they definitely learned in the Civil War. Mostly they used earthworks instead of trenches though.

No. A capture of Washington would have been a tremendous blow to the Union, specially in the light of the upcoming 1862 elections. Lee knew it was too well defended for him to take, so he moved north, hoping to show the U.S. that he couldn’t be stopped. He also hoped to cut the railway that supplied Washington and destroy Union morale. Unfortunately for him he was fought to a draw at Antietam and forced to retreat back into Virginia due to lack of supplies.

1 Like

Too bad European observers put it all down to untrained American troops and refused to learn any lessons.

1 Like

Here’s more background on that word.

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/antiblack/picaninny/homepage.htm

It’s a word white people shouldn’t use, even if paraprhasing and everyone knows that. Certainly unwise especially given the context of recent events.

It could be argued that if Joe Johnston had had the will (ie, if his commanders hadn’t squabbled among themselves), he could have routed the Union army all the way back to Washington as Union troops dropped their arms and ran for their lives (aka the Great Skedaddle) in the aftermath of 1st Manassas, in July 1861. Certainly Davis thought it possible. The Union troops did not reform until they reached the city of Washington, after all.

On the other hand you can argue that hindsight is 2020, and that neither side was prepared in 1861 for the kind of aggressive cavalry tactics used by the following year, so the south would likely have failed. Joe Johnston agreed at the time, and decided not to pursue his advantage.

I think it was an opportunity missed, however. Probably the best chance the CSA had of making its “make 'em cry” strategy work.

How many slurs do you guys have? O_O

I recently learned that Uncle Tom is a racist word? That’s the name of one of my uncles!

1 Like

Trenches were dug during the Civil War. The early stages of WW1 had no trenches and had some of the highest death rates of the war.

Do any white people use it?

I think it’s regularly trotted out for use as a club by the identitarians of the US left. They’re mostly white, so. I think this usage would represent, by far, its highest usage frequency.

1 Like

One just did in a thread.

Its not a word anyone uses in public.

I didn’t see that.